Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61257
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?" Previous topic | Next topic
oldpro Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2012Wed 17-Apr-13 08:48 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"

Westwood, US

Hi,

I have a question, I have been told you can't use the old film flashes on digital camera bodies. One of my friends said he saw chart that Nikon put out that said the SB25 would work with the current digital cameras without burning out the body. I tried it on my D300 in Programed mode and the flash was set in the TTL mode and it seemed to work fine. I didn't want to push this any further until I new more for sure. I also have a D90. At some point I will probably buy a SB700, but I'm not ready to do that now.

Would appreciate any insight into this matter

Thanks,

Joe

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodi...
aolander Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th Apr 2013
oldpro Silver Member
18th Apr 2013
Georgia Forester
24th Jun 2013
ron917 Silver Member
18th Apr 2013
blw Moderator
26th Apr 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Wed 17-Apr-13 09:07 PM
3237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Did you actually take a photo with it set to TTL as the SB-25 will only work in Manual or non-TTL Auto flash modes. Otherwise, the SB-25 is compatible with the D300 (and D90). See the "Optional Flash Units" section in your D300 manual, particularly page 360.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 17-Apr-13 09:39 PM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Joe,

The SB-25 uses Film TTL Flash Control and the D90 and D300 use i-TTL Flash Control and unfortunately they are Not compatible with each other.
That said, the SB-25's sync voltage is safe for use on All Nikon DSLR's. You will be limited to Non-TTL Auto Flash mode or Manual Flash mode.
For the most consistent results use Manual exposure mode and Manual ISO.
You can use the Calculator built into the SB-25 to set the Aperture based on the flash to subject distance.

Best Regards,
Marty

oldpro Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2012Thu 18-Apr-13 10:50 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 2

Westwood, US

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear it will work in manual and non-TTL modes.

I'm pretty sure that when I tested the flash on my D300 I had it set in the TTL mode. I was sitting in my living room which is about 21' by 15'. Had a 60 watt light bulb in a lamp on one side of the room to my left. The photo's I shot were at the oppose end of the room which was semi dark. Maybe 18" away. The shots looked pretty good. I will have to test it further in different modes and see what kind of results I get.

Again, thanks for your help, I at least feel safe in using the unit on these bodies without doing any damage.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Georgia Forester Registered since 22nd Jun 2013Mon 24-Jun-13 02:12 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

JUST the information I need for using my SB-25 with my VERY
new D800E. Luckily for me, the built in flash will handle what
I'll be shooting tomorrow afternoon.

THANK you!

ron917 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2012Thu 18-Apr-13 02:38 AM
306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Andover, NJ, US

As the others have said, you can use the flash but TTL mode will not work correctly.

I tried my SB-24 with my D600 in TTL mode. The flash fired at full output so the picture was horribly overexposed.

Non-TTL Auto mode and Manual work fine.

Best regards,
-Ron

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 26-Apr-13 09:04 AM
26656 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Is it safe to use SB25 flash on digital camera bodies ?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

TTL mode simply cannot work correctly, although as noted, it does work safely. The SB-25 is a film TTL flash. These worked by opening the shutter, firing the flash, and a sensor read the amount of light being reflected off the film emulsion. During the exposure. When the light reached the appropriate amount, the camera sent a signal to the flash to tell it to quench the flash tube.

This does not work on DSLRs for (at least) three reasons. First, there is no film emulsion behind the shutter any more. Instead of a matte-finish film emulsion, there's a shiny glass filter covering the digital sensor, which has quite different reflective properties. Second, the TTL flash sensor is no longer in the mirror chamber, since capturing the light reflected off the film is no longer possible. And finally, the quench signal is obviously no longer transmitted, since there is no sensor.

DSLRs use new flash metering techniques that involve firing a pre-exposure metering flash pulse, reading that with the in-camera metering cells, and then adjusting the flash output accordingly. This is called iTTL (all of the current models) or dTTL (D1, D1h, D1x, D100, all ancient history now).

Because the SB-25 doesn't know how to participate in iTTL, and the cameras are not equipped to do film TTL, none of the TTL modes work when older film-era flashes are combined with DSLRs. This means that the only modes that work are manual (which has no metering), or "auto" in which the flash does the metering based on a sensor located in the flash itself.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61257 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.