Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61235
View in linear mode

Subject: "Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 15-Apr-13 02:18 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800"


Los Angeles, US
          

I have the flash connected in the hotshoe on my camera. A D7000. I am shooting black objects for product photos --- eBay. Why is it, no matter what I do on the strobe, the Mode always on the back LCD includes the letters FP. Whether I have it in Manual. Or in TTl.

I know not to have camera metering in Matrix, except for TTl-BL. So metering is CW or Spot. But no matter what I do, I can't get the flash to fire in the mode I want. In fact the shutter won't fire. Focus has been acheived. Camera shooting mode is single frame. I've tried AP, and SP. And P. But the flash balks won't respond. I've removed and replaced it several times to ensure a good electrical contact.

I've tried flash sync in regular, rear curtain. On the camera, the flash synch speed in Custom Settings is at 250. The shutter won't even fire. What do you think is going on?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 15-Apr-13 03:23 AM
26755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0


US
          

Hi Gary,

>I have the flash connected in the hotshoe on my camera. A
>D7000. I am shooting black objects for product photos ---
>eBay. Why is it, no matter what I do on the strobe, the Mode
>always on the back LCD includes the letters FP. Whether I have
>it in Manual. Or in TTl.

The reason that you see FP in the Speedlight dislay is you have FP High Speed Sync mode set in the camera menu.
This is completely normal and nothing to worry about.

>I know not to have camera metering in Matrix, except for
>TTl-BL. So metering is CW or Spot. But no matter what I do, I
>can't get the flash to fire in the mode I want.

What mode do you want to use?

>In fact the
>shutter won't fire. Focus has been acheived. Camera shooting
>mode is single frame. I've tried AP, and SP. And P. But the
>flash balks won't respond. I've removed and replaced it
>several times to ensure a good electrical contact.

Does the SB-800 fire when you press the Flash Test button on the back of the Speedlight?

Is the focus lock dot displayed in the viewfinder?

>I've tried flash sync in regular, rear curtain. On the camera,
>the flash synch speed in Custom Settings is at 250. The
>shutter won't even fire. What do you think is going on?

Again, set the SB-800 in Manual flash mode and push the Flash button.
Does the Speedlight fire?

If it does, the likely problem is is a bad connection between the camera body and the Speedlight.

If it doesn't fire, there is a problem with the Speedlight.

Best Regards,
Marty

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

    
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Mon 15-Apr-13 03:57 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800"
In response to Reply # 1


Los Angeles, US
          

Though I'm not sure I grasp everything you pointed out, I went first to that CUSTOM>FLASH/BRACKET menu and lowered FLASH SYNC SPEED and FLASH SPEED to about 1/100. Before that, the numbers were 1/250-auto FPS & 1/100 respectively.

The shutter wouldn't fire, so I played with the Meter Mode. I was in AF-S meter. I changed that to AF Auto and the camera immediately responded.

That did the trick So I just made some test shots. On Playback, the images don't show a true black. Not even close. So I changed the Flash mode from TTl, to M and 1/16 power.

Beyond this snag I hit today, despite lots of reading about Nikon speedlites, I always seem to have a dilemma rendering true tonal values. Blacks come out medium grey. So I tend to avoid TTl. It all seems mighty persnickety to me, as if the flash/camera have a mind of their own.

Although I've had good luck outdoors in sunlight with TTl-BL set, and cranking in a -.7 or -1.0 FC compensation.

Any thoughts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

        
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 16-Apr-13 05:05 AM
26755 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800"
In response to Reply # 2


US
          

Hi Gary,

>The shutter wouldn't fire, so I played with the Meter Mode. I
>was in AF-S meter. I changed that to AF Auto and the camera
>immediately responded.

The default mode for AF-S mode is focus. Therefore if the AF system can't lock focus, the shutter will not release. This could be the root cause of your problem with the shutter not releasing.

>That did the trick So I just made some test shots. On
>Playback, the images don't show a true black. Not even close.
>So I changed the Flash mode from TTl, to M and 1/16 power.
>
>Beyond this snag I hit today, despite lots of reading about
>Nikon speedlites, I always seem to have a dilemma rendering
>true tonal values. Blacks come out medium grey. So I tend to
>avoid TTl. It all seems mighty persnickety to me, as if the
>flash/camera have a mind of their own.

If the Blacks are grey, the image is more than likely over exposed.
TTL usually does a good job nailing the exposure.

Best Regards,
Marty

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

            
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 16-Apr-13 05:42 AM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Difficulty Setting Mode on SB-800"
In response to Reply # 3


Los Angeles, US
          

got on the matter of focus. I don't believe I was in AF-S single mode. I thought it was AF-A in order to cycle thru static and moving objects. However when I fiddled with it, the shutter started responding.

Another thing I did was to reset that custom setting for shutter sync speed. I had it on 320FF, for some reason. And I believe (but am not sure) that this was the source of the spurious, unintended FF designation on the flash LCD when I changed flash mode.

I lowered the sync speed to 1/250. and all was well. Except that I'm still not grasping how to get lush, liquid appearing black surfaces using the flash. Whether I've got them in softboxes, or with simple bounce reflectors. Gosh, and the lens I'm using is that 60mm f2.8 G Micro. They don't get any better than that.

I tried - EC, -FC settings. Powering down the flash to 1/32 in Manual Mode. Still don't get punchy blacks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

  

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61235 Previous topic | Next topic


Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.