Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61193
View in linear mode

Subject: "I seem to be confused " Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Mon 08-Apr-13 04:31 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I seem to be confused "

US

I have a D90 and an aftermarket Nissen Ittl flash. works great with cpu lenses. Not go with Ais lenses. I know older flashes can fry the electronics in the D90. Some one told me I can safely use a SB28 a Nikon film era flash. Is that so, Is there a way to test a flash with a meter to verify it will not put out a harmful voltage. Can anyone point me to reference material on using older non Ittl flashes safely?

I have a sunpak flash with a Nikon module that I got when I bought a film camera for it's lens. I just don't know enough and the books I have on the D90 only deal with Ittl etc. thanks in advance for any info or referals. JB

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 06:21 PM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I seem to be confused "
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Since the D90 does not support metering with non-CPU lenses I-TTL flash control is not supported.

If your Nissin Speedlight has Non-TTL Auto flash mode or Manual flash mode you can use either of the two modes with your D90 in Manual exposure mode.

Yes, the SB-28 is safe to use on your D90 though again you will be limited to using Non-TTL Auto mode or Manual flash mode. Film TTL flash control, D-TTL flash control, and i-TTL flash control are entirely different systems and are not compatible with each other.
When I get to a computer I will give you a link for testing the sync voltage of your Speedlights.

Best Regards,
Marty

JBD90 Registered since 24th Nov 2011Mon 08-Apr-13 06:47 PM
186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I seem to be confused "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks I would like to test my flash and one I have on hand to feel more comfortable. Someone on the "Manual Lens" forum sent me a link to a table with various flash manufacturers and their tested voltage.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

good info to have on hand. Thank again.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 07:13 PM
26766 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: I seem to be confused "
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

Here is the link with the instructions for testing the sync votage.
You will see the instructions about 1/3 of the way down.
http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61193 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.