Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61191
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?" Previous topic | Next topic
torwood Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2010Mon 08-Apr-13 01:20 PM
666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"

Jefferson Hills, US

Hi guys. I am a fairly experienced hobbiest photographer, but I have almost no experience with flash photography. My use of flash is pretty much limited to outdoor fill flash, an occasional use of flash when shooting architectural interiors, and on-camera flash for indoor casual shots of my family. For most outdoor fill flash, the built-in flash works fine. But, indoors, I prefer to bounce flash. A few years ago, I bought an SB400, which is a great little flash that fits easily in a small camera bag. I use a D7000 for most subjects, but I do like to shoot candids with my old D50 from time to time.

But, it only tilts, and does not swivel. I find that most of my candids and family portraits are shot in vertical orientation. The SB400 cannot swivel, so it is not very useful as a bounce flash in this orientation.

I am looking for a tilt-swivel head flash that is more powerful than the SB400, but which doesn't break the bank. I use it so infrequently, that I hate to pay over $300 for an SB700. I use it in full Auto mode, so I'm not too concerned with a lot of advanced features and controlling multiple flash guns, etc.. I'm not really that interested at this point in my hobby with learning advanced flash photography. I just want to strap it on, tilt it toward the ceiling, and know that it will expose properly. I do, however, want something that fully utilizes Nikon's state of the art flash exposure system, and that maintains a "Nikon-like" color balance.

Can anybody recommend a compatible 3rd Party flash that is less expensive and meets my needs as outlined above? Do different flashes reproduce colors differently, or is that all controlled by the camera/WB setting? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?
jboyde
08th Apr 2013
MEMcD Moderator
08th Apr 2013
RABaker
09th Apr 2013
BGD600
09th Apr 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
10th Apr 2013
Beachthongs
12th Apr 2013
blw Moderator
13th Apr 2013
archer4219
27th Aug 2013
Beachthongs
27th Aug 2013
zooguy Silver Member
31st Aug 2013
Beachthongs
01st Sep 2013
bcfoto Silver Member
28th Aug 2013
chroaz Gold Member
08th Sep 2013

jboyde Registered since 19th Apr 2012Mon 08-Apr-13 01:36 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would honestly say to try out Metz flashes. I'm currently using the 48 Af-1 and the 58Af-2 with my Nikon and Pentax cameras (dedicated for each). They're sturdy, powerful and less expensive than Nikons. In fact I leave my Sb900 at home and use the Metz when I'm shooting in ruggged areas since they feel less delicate. They also do well with I-TTL and can be used in CLS (warning: the cheaper flashes can be remotes but NOT commanders!).

And to top it off, you can update the firmware on the flashes quite easily thru their site and a USB cable so they're always up to date. So, with a price range of $179 to $299 you should take a look.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 04:26 PM
25684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Ryan,

After the Nikon Speedlights, Metz would be the the best option.
I have several large Metz flash units that served me very well for 20+ years and a current Metz 76MZ-5 that works very well with my DSLR's.
You might also want to consider a refurbished or used SB-600.

Best Regards,
Marty

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Tue 09-Apr-13 12:01 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

I have used both Nikon and Sigma flashes for many years. I can definitely recommend the Sigma EF610 DG Super for your needs.
Here is a link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/741718-REG/Sigma_189306_EF610_DG_Super_Flash.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

If you are willing to buy used, I can also recommend the Nikon SB-600 (or SB-700 if you can find one in your price range).

Good luck,
Richard

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Tue 09-Apr-13 01:05 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

My vote goes to the yongnuo flashes for non-nikon kit.

The build quality is excellent vs nissin and similar and they are dirt cheap.

I use their non ttl version alongside my Nikon flashes with no issue and my other half has the ttl version and loves it.

Price wise, the ttl version costs about £70 new vs the £229 for a Nikon sb700

Hth

B

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 03:23 AM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 4

West Valley, US

Metz is good,and I have had good service from Vivitar and Sunpak flashes over the years.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Fri 12-Apr-13 11:36 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 4

AU

Consider the YONGNUO TTL Speedlite YN-565EX GN 58.

They are functional and inexpensive. Those that have purchased one are mostly pleased with it.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 13-Apr-13 11:40 AM
26574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond, US

I only have experience with Sigmas amongst the third party flashes. I agree with Richard in that the EF610 would be good - but get the non-Super version, since you have no need of the extra bits. The Super basically means that it can be a CLS commander or remote, which you don't need. The non-super version is considerably less money.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

archer4219 Registered since 02nd Jan 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 05:23 AM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

Surrey, CA

I'm watching out for more feedback on the Yongnuo YN-565EX. I'm considering it because of the very cheap price.

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Tue 27-Aug-13 03:51 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

My vote goes to anything in the YONGNUO range. My favourite is the YONGNUO Speedlite YN-568EX for Nikon. It has all the bells and whistles including high speed sync.

zooguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2013Sat 31-Aug-13 11:30 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 9

Littleton, US

Another vote here for the YONGNUO. I have two, one lighting a soft box and one on a 43" umbrella and both have been reliable, easy to use, and best of all, affordable. I have Pocket Wizard lll's triggering them and never had a misfire. Build quality is better than expected for something in this price range. No idea how long they will last but at this price you could buy three and still be saving money! Worth a look, in my opinion.

Beachthongs Registered since 08th Mar 2013Sun 01-Sep-13 04:43 AM
#12. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 01-Sep-13 04:43 AM by Beachthongs

AU

Yongnuo also have a good range of affordable wireless triggers to compliment their speedlites.

bcfoto Silver Member Charter MemberWed 28-Aug-13 11:57 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I also suggest having a look at a Metz flash. I have a Metz 48 AF-1 I bought several years ago. Excellent results and it's been reliable.

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Sun 08-Sep-13 01:54 AM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Can you recommend a 3rd Party Flash?"
In response to Reply # 10

Cave Creek, US

Take a look at the Phottix Mitros for Nikon - I have 2 of them and am very very happy - excellent build quality too and affordable.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61191 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.