Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61187
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pocket Wizards Plus II" Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 05-Apr-13 08:30 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket Wizards Plus II"

Jackson, US

I have a pair of Pocket Wizard Plus II transceivers I use mainly for remotely triggering a D4 or D800. One is set up next to the camera and mounted with a RRS QR clamp and connected to the camera's 10 pin socket with the special PW cable. I believe it was designed to keep the triggering active at all times. The cable has a small inline toggle switch. I don't remember the number on the cable right off.

Everything seems to be working, but I have a few folloup questions that maybe someone here can help me understand.

The inline switch has a "hyphen" on one end of the switch and a circle on the other. When I want to review images already taken, I switch the toggle to the circle. Sometimes, I can go ahead and take a few shots while it is still switched to the circle, but if I wait more than maybe a minute, the remote will not trigger it. I have to walk back to the camera to change the toggle back to the hyphen side of the switch. I assume this is the normal scenario with this setup?

With the D800, when I shoot a dozen or so shots with the switch toggle to the hyphen, the review screen is black. When I switch the toggle to the circle, images march across the screen in the order they were taken, apparently being written from the buffer to the CF card. I don't see the last shot until all images are stored. If so, it looks like I might be limited to the size of the buffer at any particular time? On a D4, that'd be 70-90 shots. On a D800, more like a dozen or less (in FX)?

I've been out a few times in the past week trying to photograph myself while in the river fly fishing using the D800. I get all set up and do a few test shots, then the system stops firing after a short period. Maybe I have more than one issue going on here, too? I also have a SU800 controlling SB910 units with Radio Poppers in the middle. That part works fine.

I purchased a SMDV RFN-4s Slim Wireless Remote Shutter Cable Release off Amazon. Reviews seemed very good on it, and hopefully it will solve some of these problems. But, until it arrives, I'd love to know if I am doing everything right with these PW Plus II units.

Thanks in advance,
M. Jackson

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 05-Apr-13 08:50 PM
676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket Wizards Plus II"
In response to Reply # 0

Jackson, US

Just did a test.

I focused on an object in the house. With the toggle set to the circle, I could shoot quite a few shots, including refocus.

I noted the image number on the LCD. 168

When I had the inline switch in the hyphen position, I shot 18-20 RAW images before it filled the buffer and started slowing down. I waited several minutes to switch from the hyphen position to the circle. Sure enough, none of the new images had been moved from the buffer to the card. It read 168, but started increasing as it added the next 20 new images.

If you have additional insights, I'd love to hear them.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 06-Apr-13 12:56 AM
8050 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket Wizards Plus II"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

I'd have to have a radio in hand, but I think you are referring to an on/off switch. It's not a hyphen. It's an "I" and a "O". They are international symbols for on and of. I always presumed they meant in circuit and out of circuit.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 06-Apr-13 03:38 AM
#3. "RE: Pocket Wizards Plus II"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 06-Apr-13 04:34 AM by M_Jackson

Jackson, US

I dug around and found the old paperwork. The O position is labeled "Normal" and the I or Hyphen is labeled "Pre-Trigger".

The paperwork says the Pre-Triggering option is much like having your finger pressed halfway down on the shutter button, making the triggering much more responsive. It keeps the camera awake but can drain the battery quicker.

When set to normal, the camera will try to auto-focus and meter before shooting.

Since I was already set to manual focus and manual exposure, I would think the Normal setting would fire immediately when the remote trigger is pressed. I am not getting consistent firing when in this mode, or no firing at all.

Oh yes, my SU800 is in the hot shoe, so the PW Plus II has to be connected with the cable.

Thanks for the comments.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61187 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.