Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61175
View in linear mode

Subject: "umbrella adapter for SB-800" Previous topic | Next topic
singlerosa Silver Member Charter MemberWed 03-Apr-13 06:28 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"umbrella adapter for SB-800"
Wed 03-Apr-13 06:29 PM by singlerosa

St. Louis, US

Whoever said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked has not seen some of my questions. Anyway, my old and cheap umbrella/flash adapter has cracked and is now useless. The thing I disliked most about it was the method of attaching the flash, sliding it in between a spring-loaded side and a stationary side and tightening up a tiny screw to hold the flash in place. Not the best method of protecting expensive gear from plummeting to its death. In shopping around, I find that most adapters use this method or come with 1/4" screws.

My SB-800s came with stands. Any harm in mounting the tiny stand to the screw on the umbrella adapter? I know the flash is secure on the flash stand because I've mounted it to tripods and light stands in the past.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Singler D7K with a bunch of lenses and other assorted stuff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 03-Apr-13 06:50 PM
5977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: umbrella adapter for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 03-Apr-13 06:52 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

There is no problem with doing that, as that is what the threaded hole on the stand is for.

I also use these, which work well as they have a hole for the locking pin on the speedlight and are not made of metal so there is no short-circuit possibility: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414166-REG/Crane_NCSLS_SLSN_Flash_Shoe_Mount.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/ They are small and can be left on your lightstand or umbrella adapter.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

oceanbum Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2004Thu 04-Apr-13 11:43 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: umbrella adapter for SB-800"
In response to Reply # 1

Port St. Lucie, US

I use Stroboframe Flash Mount Adapters from B&H. I like them better than the one from Crane. Stobes are securely mounted.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52772-REG/Stroboframe_300_SHO_Flash_Mount_Adapter.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Leonard Rall
Nikonian from Southeast Florida

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61175 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.