Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61143
View in linear mode

Subject: "Suggestions for Light Stands" Previous topic | Next topic
Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Wed 27-Mar-13 01:18 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Suggestions for Light Stands"

US

Just bought some Alien bees and loking for advice on stands for them. I have a set of Flashpoint stands I use for my SB910 and other speedlights but they do not seem sturdy for use with the Alien Bees. Once I get the heads on a few diffusers I am thinking the small leg foot print will have my new lights falling over.

Anyone have any suggestions on good stands that will not break the bank? While I will use these in the studio mostly, I will not rule out needing something light weight that I can carry on location as well.

For reference I have the AB800 and AB1600, but about the same weight.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Suggestions for Light Stands
MEMcD Moderator
28th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
29th Mar 2013
jim thomas Silver Member
29th Mar 2013
DinoCardelli
16th Apr 2013
hujiie Silver Member
17th Apr 2013
ctadin Silver Member
17th Apr 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 28-Mar-13 05:17 PM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Randall,

Have you considered the Paul Buff 13ft. Air Cushioned Stands?
I have used them with WL X1600, X3200, and Einstein Flash units.
All of them are heavier than an AB 1600.
Though the non Air Cushioned stands are about $30.00 cheaper, the are well worth the premium. No pinched fingers or hands.

Best Regards,
Marty

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 29-Mar-13 03:30 AM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

I recommend these Manfrotto stands. I have 4 of the 9ft and two of the 13ft versions. I also recommend their matching carrying bags - which nicely take FOUR stands, not just the three they claim:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/636421-REG/Manfrotto_1005BAC_3_1005BAC_3_Alu_Ranker_Light.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

These stands easily take PCB Einstein strobes with a variety of softboxes etc., etc.

Pete

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Fri 29-Mar-13 02:06 PM
1279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

I use the heavy Avenger stands, which are fairly expensive. However, since you may use the lights on location, be sure that you use stands that are study enough to not blow over and damage your equipment. This, of course, is far more likely if you are using softboxes. You can, of course, weight down the lighter weight stands. Just be sure that you don't cost yourself more in breakage than you save on the stands.

JDT

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Tue 16-Apr-13 10:20 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantation, US

Paul Buff's heavy stands or AVENGER is what I"m using..three leg tripod style..

Also, buy 6-8 sandbags and fill them wiht home depot white sand....

The Bees and associated diffusers are very heavy.....you need to weight them down as the large Soft boxes are very bulky.

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Wed 17-Apr-13 03:20 AM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 0

US

One more + for Avenger.

I use them for PCB WL 1600's.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Wed 17-Apr-13 01:49 PM
959 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Suggestions for Light Stands"
In response to Reply # 5

St Louis, US

Two more + for Avenger.
I use them for my Elinchrom's.

Cheryl

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61143 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.