nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61129
View in linear mode

Subject: "sb700 does not sync in remote mode" Previous topic | Next topic
earlyboomer Registered since 12th Jan 2012Mon 25-Mar-13 07:59 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sb700 does not sync in remote mode"

APO AE, US

Hello,
I just purchased the SB700 for my D7000. So far, so good. I actually did read the manual plus a few CLS articles.

However, I must have missed something basic, which happens a lot at my age. I have the flash sync and flash shutter speeds both set at 60 and it appears to work fine when the SB700 is mounted on the D7000. However, using the remote mode with the flash off the camera, it flashes but the curtain is still closed. I presume I've messed up some sync setting .

From reading my Nikonian blogs from the experts, most advice is to get the flash off the camera. I'm trying-really.

Is there some basic setting on the SB700 or D7000 that I have wrong. I have the flash on wireless SU4 setting when on remote.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Early

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 26-Mar-13 01:05 AM
27000 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sb700 does not sync in remote mode"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Willard,

> Is there some basic setting on the SB700 or D7000 that I have
>wrong. I have the flash on wireless SU4 setting when on
>remote.

SU-4 mode makes the SB-700 a simple optical slave.
As soon as it detects a flash it will fire.
With the D7000 built in Speedlight set in TTL mode or Commander mode, the pre-flash sequence will trigger the SB-700 before the shutter opens.
To have the SB-700 sync in SU-4 mode you must set the built-in Speedlight to Manual flash mode. It will then sync at all shutter speeds up to 1/250th sec.

If you want to take advantage of i-TTL flash control, Go into the camera menu Custom Setting (pencil icon)
e3 Flash Cntrl for Built-in Flash
Set it to Commander Mode
Verify that Goup A is set to TTL
then select a channel
then press OK.
Set the SB-700 to Remote mode.
Group A and the same channel you selected in the camera menu.
Your should be ready to go.

Best Regards,
Marty

earlyboomer Registered since 12th Jan 2012Tue 26-Mar-13 07:24 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sb700 does not sync in remote mode"
In response to Reply # 1

APO AE, US

Okay, thank you! I'll try it.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberTue 26-Mar-13 03:34 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sb700 does not sync in remote mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

> However, I must have missed something basic, which happens a
>lot at my age. I have the flash sync and flash shutter speeds
>both set at 60 and it appears to work fine when the SB700 is
>mounted on the D7000. However, using the remote mode with the
>flash off the camera, it flashes but the curtain is still
>closed. I presume I've messed up some sync setting .
>
> From reading my Nikonian blogs from the experts, most advice
>is to get the flash off the camera. I'm trying-really.
>
> Is there some basic setting on the SB700 or D7000 that I have
>wrong. I have the flash on wireless SU4 setting when on
>remote.

When you use your SB700 in SU4 mode, you are putting it into its dumb mode. It will fire whenever it sees any other flash, and it will fire at only the power you set on the SB700 itself. It will not get its power setting from the D7000.

The reason it is not sync'ing with your D7000 is probably because you have the flash on the D7000 set to TTL. In TTL mode, there is a monitor preflash, which is used by TTL to figure out the power required for the built-in flash. This preflash happens before the shutter opens, and is probably firing your SB700 before the shutter opens.

So, my recommendation is to put the SB700 into Remote TTL mode - NOT SU-4 mode. Then, it will use its own monitor preflash to determine what power it should be set to and then fire all automatically.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

earlyboomer Registered since 12th Jan 2012Tue 26-Mar-13 07:25 PM
#4. "RE: sb700 does not sync in remote mode"
In response to Reply # 2

APO AE, US

Thanks, I'll try to remote TTL mode instead of SU-4.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61129 Previous topic | Next topic