Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61124
View in linear mode

Subject: "combining flashes" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 08:23 PM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"combining flashes"

creekside, US

Hi everyone, I have 2 sb 600"s and a sb700 which I am now using all three for my waterdrops. I now want to add another. Can you mix and match flashes if they had had a slave mode? I want another flash to use in remote mode, and am only going to use it as a slave so I wasn't wanting to spend another $400 on another flash. I use my 700 all the time now so I just needed something cheap. Any suggestions anyone? And does it have to be a nikon or can an off brand sync just fine?

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 24-Mar-13 10:29 PM
25591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: combining flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Darlene,

Since the SB-600's do not have SU-4 mode built in, I assume you want to use CLS Wireless Flash Control to trigger all of the Speedlights.
I would recommend adding a third SB-600.
1. You already know how to use it.
2. It is fully compatible with CLS.
3. They are available for well under $300.00.

You could get a cheaper Manual Speedlight with an optical trigger but you would have to get two Nikon SU-4 (approx. $75.00) each to trigger the SB-600's optically. Your SB-700 has SU-4 mode built in.

Best Regards,
Marty

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Sun 24-Mar-13 11:52 PM
1402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: combining flashes"
In response to Reply # 1

creekside, US

Hey thanks Marty, that would probably be the best thing for me to do..and probably the safest. I don't want to wind up getting a cheapo and burning the other 3 up...lol...Thanks for the quick response....Hey, go over to the d90 forum and check out my newest waterdrop...it's a really beauty.....I'm just starting to experiment with my star filter and the gels on my flashes...kinda cool if I don't say so myself.....!!

Darlene

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61124 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.