nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61099
View in linear mode

Subject: "LED "Ring flashes"" Previous topic | Next topic
mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 03:33 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"LED "Ring flashes""

West Valley, US

Has anyone used one of the new (to me) Macro LED ring "flashes"?

So far, I have been using my SB600 either on the hot shoe, or on a Stroboframe bracket, with SC17 cord and bounce card for macro, but think I "need" something a bit more compact.

They look as if they will really be a nice addition for macro photography, once the initial bugs are ironed out.

It seems to me as if they are not really flashes, but a modified blinking/continuous lighting fixture, a'la movie lights of the past.

The specs I have read claim sync of 1/100-1/250 sec, and color temperature of ~3000K to 15,000K, which seems to be a function of either (1)the power fed to the LEDS, or, (2) the colored plastic covers that will fit over the head.

Does anyone have one of these, and what are your impressions?

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 23-Mar-13 04:19 PM
26897 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: LED "Ring flashes""
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

That may depend - a lot - on which one you're considering, and also what you're attempting to shoot. I have a ring flash - one with flash tubes - and find that it is different than regular flash units, not really a replacement for them. Mine (Sigma EM-140) is also sufficiently big and bulky that I would definitely NOT call it more compact than an SB-600 in the shoe; in fact it's definitely NOT more compact than that.

The ones I think you're looking at are very, very low power - which may not be an issue depending on what you're shooting and from what distance. I would think that they would serve better folks who are using the short macros than the very long ones (eg a 60/f2.8 rather than the 200/f4), due to the fairly significant difference in working distance.

On the other hand, I have seen at least one "Macro LED ring light" that has quite a few LEDs and which is fairly powerful - but it is also even bigger than my EM-140, and I'm sure it does not help with the "circle of fear" for insects and other critters. It would even be getting in my way shooting model trains. I tried this particular one - I don't recall the brand - at a store and really didn't like the way it handled, which is one reason I ended up with the Sigma.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 10-Apr-13 04:00 AM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: LED "Ring flashes""
In response to Reply # 1

West Valley, US

Thanks for the information. I'm probably going to stick with my bracket & SB600. If it ain't broke, let me see it for a minute...or something like that. Simpler is better, IMO.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61099 Previous topic | Next topic