Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)" Previous topic | Next topic
JMANUCH Registered since 04th Aug 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 10:00 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"

US

Hello Nikonians !
I'm about to shoot a wedding & the bride would like a shot of "everyone" -yes as in 1 big group shot. About 65 people & indoors I have 2 sb910 on stands that I will put 45* angles shooting thru umbrellas. Will that work ?? Also if I keep the sb910's on the stands to cover the dance floor all night shouldn't I gel them (incandescent ) for the lighting just like I would if they were on camera flash.?
Sorry to ask such simple questions but I am new to indoor flash shooting & am doing this for a friend. Thank you so much

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)
HBB Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
HBB Moderator
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
23rd Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
24th Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
24th Mar 2013
JMANUCH
24th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
24th Mar 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 03:39 PM
8466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Joanne:

Welcome to Nikonians! I hope your time with us will be rewarding.

A friend of mine recently photographed an even larger group of over a hundred people in a church setting. He assembled them on the floor of the sanctuary and captured the image from the balcony overlooking it. Every face is visible.

Unless you can elevate the camera somewhat above the group, or they are standing on risers or steps, it will be difficult to capture all of them in one image.

He used one on-camera and a pair of Nikon SB800 speedlights that were about fifteen on either side of him on the balcony, pointed at the off-white ceiling overhead. The speedlights were set to manual mode, maximum power M1/1. He was shooting with a D700, using an ISO of 1,500, and a metered white balance of 3,050 K, 1/60 second at F/5.3.

The lighting in the church was incandescent, with some natural daylight coming in from windows along the side walls. He fitted the SB800s with the incandescent gels using the built-in wide flash adapter, which meant the focal length was locked at 14 mm. The gelled SB800s overpowered most of the blue daylight near the side windows, and most people viewing prints will never notice it.

Given the subject to lens distance, it may not be beneficial to use the shoot through umbrellas, as they absorb a fair amount of light, and the effect of the soft, diffuse illumination may be lost.

If there is time, I suggest conducting an on-site test prior to the wedding. You situation may be quite different than my friend's.

Perhaps some of our excellent wedding photographers can offer more detailed advice. I stopped doing weddings many years ago, for a variety of reasons. I admire those who shoot weddings professionally ... In my mind, it takes a special personality that I lack.

Hope this helps a bit.

Let us know how it works.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 03:56 PM
8102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Joanne,

In addition to Hal's comments, I might add some thoughts from a guerrilla group shooter. Depending on the group, you can build risers out of folding chairs, which might be possible at the reception. Try to keep your rows from 9 to 15 folks wide.

With 65 try a row of 16 chairs facing away from the camera that agile folks can step up onto. Have 15 folks stand in choir windows in front of them. Add 16 chairs in front of them and have the less agile sit on them. Finally have the most agile sit, squat, or kneel in front of them.

When my groups get large, I remove all the modifiers. I still get good results.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 04:24 PM
8466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Scott:

Thanks! I was hoping you would join this thread.

You triggered another thought: Arrange the croup in a slight semicircle, centered on the camera lens. The goal here is to try and achieve a constant distance from the speedlights to the subjects, for uniform illumination. In my friend's image, this was not possible due to the size of the group, and a slight underexposure can be seen at the right and left edges of his image, and some fall-off front to rear.

This may not be necessary with the arrangement you suggest, but something to consider if Joanne is faced with a more difficult setup and composition challenge.

"Guerilla Group Shooter" ... It has a nice ring to it.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 23-Mar-13 10:47 AM
8102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

Hal,

>"Guerilla Group Shooter" ... It has a nice
>ring to it.

LOL,,, I have spent so many hours making group photos work in lousy conditions. They have been high school choirs and concert bands. I'm always scheming of ways to force things to work.

I usually shoot with three flash units. Two are outboard and one on camera. My light fall off from side to side is immaterial. The big concern for me is uneven illumination from front to back, Also, the pinhead affect is a concern when you get too many rows.

It also is a good idea to have more people in the back rows than the front rows. Otherwise, perspective makes the back rows appear shorter and your nice rectangle looks like a trapezoid. Of course, this is most apparent when my groups get up to 230 in size.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 12:30 AM
5997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hello Nikonians !
>I'm about to shoot a wedding & the bride would like a shot
>of "everyone" -yes as in 1 big group shot. About 65
>people & indoors I have 2 sb910 on stands that I will put
>45* angles shooting thru umbrellas. Will that work ?? Also if
>I keep the sb910's on the stands to cover the dance floor all
>night shouldn't I gel them (incandescent ) for the lighting
>just like I would if they were on camera flash.?
>Sorry to ask such simple questions but I am new to indoor
>flash shooting & am doing this for a friend. Thank you so
>much
>

In addition to what Hal and Scott said, I recommend that you do not angle your flashes toward the center of the group. That will make the center brighter than the ends where they don't overlap. It will also create a flash shadow on one side of each face, and if the umbrella angles are severe enough, the shadows will project onto the adjacent person.

I get more even lighting across the group when when I point the umbrellas straight ahead and place them about half way between the camera and the end of the group, still aimed straight forward.

Your umbrellas will always overlap to some degree. There is nothing you can do about it. But if you think about it as you place your umbrellas, you can avoid the worst of the uneven lighting and the flash shadows. If you are still getting flash shadows, move the umbrellas closer to the camera.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 12:50 AM
#6. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

Russ,

Excellent points. My flashes are aimed parallel to the lens axis as well.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

JMANUCH Registered since 04th Aug 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 11:58 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Oh wow I can't thank you enough for this wonderful information. I was starting to panic a bit on this one. But now feel I am in a bit more control of the set up so than you all again.

Any thoughts on the 'gelling' issue?

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 04:28 PM
5997 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB910 Lighting Question (2 part question)"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Oh wow I can't thank you enough for this wonderful
>information. I was starting to panic a bit on this one. But
>now feel I am in a bit more control of the set up so than you
>all again.
>
>Any thoughts on the 'gelling' issue?

I have had hit or miss results with gelling. The problem is that I often cannot find a gel that matches the ambient accurately enough.

I have had much better success overpowering the ambient with my flash. If you look at my 'cookbook' blog, I explain how to set your camera so that your flash will be primary and you overpower the ambient.
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2009/12/camera-flash-cookbook-for-any-lighting.html

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61079 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.