Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61074
View in linear mode

Subject: "Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth" Previous topic | Next topic
nikonian10 Registered since 30th Oct 2008Thu 21-Mar-13 01:45 PM
105 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"

Winnipeg, CA

I'm a wedding photographer looking to purchase an Alien Bee but I need some advice on which one to get; 400, 800 or 1600.

I need a strobe for two main purposes, for reception in order to light the hall. I would use it to bounce the light off of ceiling as well as wall. The size of halls are various sizes, would one of Alien Bee be sufficient and which one? Is anyone using this setup for lighting up the reception venues? Any other ideas or suggestions?

The second purpose of AB would be to use the same one in a photo booth where a quick recycle time is needed.
How do white lightning strobes compare to Alien Bees? Is it worth to spend a bit more for more power?
One last thing, I have a D600 so I can push the ISO quite high in response to lower power output from the strobes and quicker recycle times.

Twitter
Facebook

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
22nd Mar 2013
Hawk Eyes
23rd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
22nd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
23rd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
23rd Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography
23rd Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
24th Mar 2013
24th Mar 2013
PeterBeckett Gold Member
24th Mar 2013
24th Mar 2013
hujiie Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
chiefmasterjedi Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
seres2
27th Mar 2013
jjmirenzi
02nd Apr 2013
DinoCardelli
16th Apr 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 04:54 PM
8508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Derek:

Your question is more complicated than it looks.

In my somewhat limited studio experience, I discovered that there is no "one size fits all" strobe that will work in all situations.

For a very large hall, where you can bounce the light off the ceiling, a more powerfull unit may be required, e.g., 800 WS or 1,600 WS. These units may be overkill for the small studio or booth settings, as you may not be able to dial the power level down far enough to be useful, even at smallest apertures and lowest possible ISO figures.

A few years ago, I purchased four relatively inexpensive 300 WS units that can be used successfully in smaller venues.

Depending on brand and relative cost, studio units will usually recycle fairly rapidly, even at full power. Check the specs before making your final decision.

Perhaps some of our professional wedding photographers will offer more detailed advice.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Hawk Eyes Registered since 09th Jun 2012Sat 23-Mar-13 12:28 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I second the "Einstein 640" strobes I use Three of them. I have used them for many national adds. You cant go wrong with the bee 800 it is cheaper and works good.
But the Einstein has a lot more consistency with color and power output.
The Einstein can also work like a speed light and has a action setting or color.
Two bee 800's would work great at any wedding if you no what you are doing and have the right modifiers. Get the white Paul buff beauty dish with cover, It works just like a good soft box and is cheap.
All Paul buff light modifiers good IMO. If you do use other brand modifiers like I do. You will need to get a speed ring for them to put on the strobes .
Good luck the two bee 800,s or Einsteins have plenty of power to do the job with good modifiers !

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Fri 22-Mar-13 08:02 PM
815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 0

San Jose, US

Derek,
I'm a staunch proponent of Paul Buff's 640 Joule "Einstein 640" strobes. I have four of them, together with a wide selection of PCB's accessories, and cannot rate them highly enough. My advice is to get at least two.

FWIW, I also have an ABR800 - which is superb, especially for "Q&D" product type shots.

Pete

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 23-Mar-13 11:55 AM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

Pete,

I wish the Einsteins were available when I bought my pair of Ultra-Zaps, They do look nice and would definitely be my next pick!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 03:46 PM
815 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 23-Mar-13 04:11 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Hi Scott,
I watched the pre-release information from PCB about the Einstein as it evolved. I held back from ordering any studio strobes until Einsteins became available. It turned out to be a very wise wait! The last strobes I owned were Speedotron, in the 1980s. Boy! How things have changed!!!

FWIW, due to having several Pocket Wizard devices, I bought their wireless controllers for Einsteins (AC-3 + MC-2 names come to mind, but I could be wrong), with a FlexTT5(plus the AC-3(?) on the camera. However, I encountered all sorts of troubles, including an inability to use Sekonic L758-DR with the setup. I also didn't like the very limited control offered by the PW AC-3(?). Therefore, I sent back the MC-2s and the AC-3 but kept the FlexTT5. I bought PCB CyberSync components instead.

My arrangement for over a year has been to have the FlexTT5 on the camera, with a PCB CST on top of the FlexTT5 (which is set to receive a PW signal from the L-758DR). Each Einstein has a CSXCV receiver and the ABR800 has a CSRB+ for when I need to use it along with the Einsteins. I carry both the L-758DR and a CyberSymc "Commander" in my pocket. Thus, I am able to TOTALLY control all aspects of the strobes remotely(individually, or using arbitrary groupings) AND test fire them using the meter. It all works PERFECTLY.

Pete

Edited to add:
Yes, I do know that the PCB CyberSync Commander has a very usable flashmeter built-in. However, I prefer my L-758DR. In comparisons which I made shortly after arriving at the configuration described above, the Commander and Sekonic exposure readings matched very well!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 23-Mar-13 07:14 PM
8216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

Hi Pete,

I wonder how they would work with the L-478DR and PW adapters. THe L-478DR is sweet since it sets the levels and the camera just triggers the system.

It is a little handicapped yet. You have to turn groups on individually to meter them individually. Then you have to turn all groups on to get an overall reading. Supposedly Sekonic is going to get it working as suggested, in that one triggering fires groups in sequence, reporting each groups aperture as well as the overall aperture.

Still, it is very nice with the CTL units. I just set the on camera transmitter to trigger only and the meter does the rest. Now I have C2 set to trigger only and hypersync set to 1/800 sec. That mode is used with my meter or flash set to manual full power for outdoor fill at up to 1/600s.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 12:41 AM
#8. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 7

San Jose, US

Scott,
If you're saying that the L-478DR is going to be able to control all aspects of PCB strobes having PW receivers, then that would be AWESOME. However, if it's going to offer no more control than the AC-3, I don't see why they'd even bother!

Nevertheless, I am very interested in knowing how well it works out.

Pete

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 02:07 AM
#9. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 8

Powder Springs, US

Pete,

No, it won't give 1/10 stop precision over a 9 stop range. It gives you 1/3stop precision over a 6 stop range, just as CLS would. The advantage over the AC3 is that you can adjust all the flashes from the subject position to nail your exposure and lighting ratio without trial and error or chimping. Then too, CLS meters the flashes individually and not collectively.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a studio, I probably wouldn't even bother with PocketWizard. I would get the Einsteins with the CyberController.....no doubt. I'm a huge PCB fan.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

PeterBeckett Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Jan 2010Sun 24-Mar-13 06:27 PM
#10. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 24-Mar-13 06:28 PM by PeterBeckett

San Jose, US

Hi Scott,
I'm going to let this conversation die.

The bottom line seems to be that we agree the PCB wireless control system would probably be the one to go for if starting from scratch!

Pete

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSun 24-Mar-13 09:13 PM
#11. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 10

Powder Springs, US

Pete,

Absolutely no doubt for a studio!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Sat 23-Mar-13 01:59 PM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have WL 1600’s and use with PW remote (Flex 5 / AC 9 /AC 3) on D800e (used to be D700). The difference b/w AB and WL are:
(1) Built quality – WL is sturdier and heavier
(2) 2 mode setting in 1600 and 3200 WL – full power and 1/8 power with 8 stops change v.s. 6 stops on AB.

Einstein and WL / AB 1600 are the similar output power and if I were to buy the unit now, I would get Einstein without any doubts but it was not available when I got my WL. I use this in a small studio / large studio / desktop (as replacement of speedlight) / location- I must say I use more than my SB900’s in off camera manual setting .

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

chiefmasterjedi Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2009Tue 26-Mar-13 06:01 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have 2x Einsteins and 2xAB800. The Einsteins have the little PCB triggers in them and one of the AB800s has a CyberSync+ . I control these three lights with the PCB Cyber Commander which works great. It has 1/10 adjustments throughout the range of the strobes, it can turn the lights on and off, control the modeling lights and has a great built in light meter. The light meter works remarkably well and I find it very accurate once I calibrated it to my camera.

If I was to buy more lights, I would go with Einsteins.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.
Visit my web site.

seres2 Registered since 12th Mar 2013Wed 27-Mar-13 12:43 AM
139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'd go for the mid-range, the AB800. That model has enough power to use a variety of modifiers, and will give quick recycle.

jjmirenzi Registered since 31st May 2012Tue 02-Apr-13 06:00 PM
152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 0

Dupont, US

check out david zisers blog digitalprotalk. he uses two quantum td5r on lightstands at either end of a room at 1/16 power with a fill flash on camera at iso 1600. you dont need a lot of light power to get a great lighting exposure. I have the alien bee 1600 for studio use and have never set it above 1/8 power. I bought it for it great even ligthing when used with the accessory plum umbrellas.

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Tue 16-Apr-13 06:22 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Alien Bees for Reception and photo booth"
In response to Reply # 14
Tue 16-Apr-13 06:25 AM by DinoCardelli

Plantation, US

I own 3 800's and one 400 and a ring flash from PCB....great products..

I like the PW tt1/tt5 system with the AC3 controller....this combined with AC9 for the strobes allows for complete control of the strobe system....

I originally bought the TT1/TT5 system for my Nikon SB600, 900 and 910 system as I wasn't crazy about the CLS system...witht he PW's, it sits on top of the camera, and you just click to adjust with the CLS, you gotta drive down on the menu...and, with RF no line of sight needed...

I have used the CLS extensively and it's a great backup for the Nikons...

The PW's are expensive, but, they work....I have the PB cycber cync system as a back up and they work fine with the triggers, etc.; however, you have to manually change the power on the back of the AB.....

Go to pocketwizards.com and the demos they show, work exactly as in real life.

you can go to my professional gallery and see some work in the food photography as well as the pets, all done with AB's.....my website is : cardellicreatives.com

DC

Visit my professional gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61074 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.