nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61072
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex" Previous topic | Next topic
cdlind Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2010Thu 21-Mar-13 02:20 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"

US

I recently obtained a Graflex 4x5 camera and need to know if my SB 28 or SB800 can be safely used without damaging the flash?

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a sync cord that has the female pin socket of the graflex lens and will connect to the hot shoe or pc connection on the SB800?
Thank you,
Dave L

DaveL

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Mar 2013
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
22nd Mar 2013
cdlind Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
cdlind Silver Member
23rd Mar 2013
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Mar 2013
Arthur Laurent Silver Member
26th Mar 2013
26th Mar 2013

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Thu 21-Mar-13 05:13 PM
9620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I recently obtained a Graflex 4x5 camera and need to know if my SB 28 or SB800 can be safely used without damaging the flash?

They can be safely used with an electrically sound cord. The lens just completes the circuit long enough for the flash to fire.

I would also like to know if anyone knows of a sync cord that has the female pin socket of the graflex lens and will connect to the hot shoe or pc connection on the SB800?

I forgot where I bought mine, but Paramount Cords can build you either cord. Alternatively, B&H offers an in-stock solution using two cords:

Cord 1
Cord 2

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Mar-13 05:46 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 1

Phoenix, US

Dave:

Michael has given you excellent advice.

A few years ago, I equipped a friend of mine who shoots with a fifty or sixty year old wood/brass, 8 x 10 inch view camera with a cable so he could trigger an on-camera SB800 which in turn triggered remote SB800s in soft boxes/umbrellas, in SU-4 mode. As Michael points out, Copal, and other view camera shutters are simple switch closures, and involve no voltage of any kind. This configuration worked very well.

I'm not sure where we acquired the cable, but I have used Paramount before, and they will surely be able to supply one with necessary fittings.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

cdlind Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 02:03 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you for the Paramount lead. I will be contacting them or B&H for the cable(s).
Dave

cdlind Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jul 2010Sat 23-Mar-13 02:13 AM
#4. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for your quick reply. I will be check out B&H or have Paramount price out a custom cord. I have an F100 and a D300 and its nice challenge to have to think and do everything correctly and in proper sequence (black slide removal, close shutter after focus, etc).
Dave

DaveL

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sat 23-Mar-13 02:23 AM
9620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 4

Boston Area, US

... not to mention remembering how to load the film. At about $6 a shot, not remembering where the notches go can be an expensive mistake!

"There is no real magic in photography, just the sloppy intersection of physics and art." — Kirk Tuck

Arthur Laurent Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2006Tue 26-Mar-13 11:43 AM
395 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 26-Mar-13 11:44 AM by Arthur Laurent

Leesburg, US

>... not to mention remembering how to load the film. At about $6 a shot, not remembering where the notches go can be an expensive mistake!

Buy your Tri-X 320 (what other film wouuld ylou load in a Graflex?) in 100-sheet boxes, and it costs about $1.60 per image.

And another big thumbs-up for Paramount Cords.

Arthur

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous suppport to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Tue 26-Mar-13 05:17 PM
#7. "RE: SB800 flash on 4x5 Graflex"
In response to Reply # 6

Boston Area, US

$1.60 buys a sheet of B&W film, true, but if you don't discover your error before paying for processing...

I did just that the first time I shot Delta 100. Fortunately I only killed 2 sheets.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61072 Previous topic | Next topic