Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61060
View in linear mode

Subject: "Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera f..." Previous topic | Next topic
Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Sun 17-Mar-13 06:40 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera flashes in SU-4 mode"

Monroe, US

I have a bit of uncertainty about exactly what setting I use on my D800's built in pop-up flash when I want to trigger an SB-800 set to SU-4 mode. Do I set the pop-up to pure manual and dial the power back to say 1/128 so that the pop-up has little to no effect on the exposure? Or do I set the pop-up to commander and then set it to Manual there and dial the power to 1/128? Or does it matter? Any help would be appreciated.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 17-Mar-13 07:49 PM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera flashes in SU-4 mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 17-Mar-13 10:06 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Thomas:

Either way will work.

In the "pure manual" method, the remote SB800 in SU-4 mode will fire when it sees the on-camera popup flash fire for shutter-open image capture. This requires that you set the power level on the remote SB800 manually. Lower power levels for the popup may limit its effective range.

In the commander Auto mode, the the on-camera flash will fire a preflash pulse prior to shutter opening, and the remote SB800 will fire a return pulse used for exposure calculation, which is sent back to the remote SB800. Then the shutter opens and the popup emits a "fire now" pulse which triggers the remote SB800 to fire for image capture at the calculated power level. You can set the popup to OFF (---) but it will still fire the preflash and "fire now" pulses.

In the commander Manual mode, you set the power level for the remote on the camera. When you push the shutter button, a coded pulse is sent to the remote SB800 prior to shutter opening, telling it what power level to use. When the shutter opens, a brief "fire now" pulse is emitted from the popup which tells the remote SB800 to fire for image capture. You can set the popup to OFF (---) but it will still fire the preflash and "fire now" pulses.

In the SU-4 mode, channel and group settings are not required.

In commander Auto/Manual mode, the on-camera popup and the remote SB800 must be set to the same channel and group.

The only way to wirelessly eliminate the popup illumination is with an SU800, which conducts all communication with remote units via infrared signals, which the camera's sensor does not record.

For a detailed look at the CLS preflash sequence, go here.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 18-Mar-13 09:07 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera flashes in SU-4 mode"
In response to Reply # 1

Monroe, US

Thanks Hal. That clears things up for me. Not sure how much I will use SU-4 mode, but I wanted to know how to do it correctly just in case. I have used ittl for off camera flash, but thought it might be useful to be familiar with SU-4 in case something quirky with the ittl occurred. I am also considering getting a few of the new PocketWizard Plus X transceivers. Thanks again for your help.
Tom

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 18-Mar-13 10:04 PM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera flashes in SU-4 mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Tom:

Glad I could shed some light on your question.

There is one other option that I forgot to mention earlier.

Purchase the Nikon SG-3IR filter, which is about $13 US. It fits into the hot shoe behind the popup and the filter drops down in front of it. The filter absorbs the visible component of the popup pulses, and passes the InfraRed (IR) component which the remotes are looking for. A great, inexpensive way to block the popup illumination when working at close subject to lens distances.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Melman59 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2009Mon 18-Mar-13 11:18 PM
#4. "RE: Setting camera pop-up flash for triggering off camera flashes in SU-4 mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Monroe, US

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know such a device existed. I will look into it.
Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61060 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.