Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61034
View in linear mode

Subject: "Happy With New Bracket" Previous topic | Next topic
Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 02:57 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Happy With New Bracket"
Tue 12-Mar-13 02:59 PM by Bravozulu

Los Angeles, US

I recently bought one of the Custom Bracket units. The kind often referred to as Paparazzi Bracket.

I shoot vertical shots a lot and like to have a bracket that affords me a 2-handed grasp on the equipment. But I don't want lots of hardware that can snag or flap in the breeze.

I had a $9 'wonder' I picked up at BH (made of composite in India). I could put the flash on the left side, but this didn't work well for shooting portrait mode. The flash would then be held under the camera/lens. On the right side, the shutter button was blocked when held in portrait mode.

Custom Brackets makes two brackets, one with a crook that solves the problem of reaching the shutter. Have a look. I sure like it after only a week. CNC machined aluminum with great cork inserts to prevent slippage of the camera mount. This mounts only with the flash to the right of the camera, so it may not work well for lefties. And it seems more ergonomic with a power grip on the camera.

http://www.custombrackets.com/products/camera-flash-brackets/cb-series-brackets/cb-mini-rc.html

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 12-Mar-13 04:49 PM
18518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Happy With New Bracket"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I saw that bracket and it seems interesting, I'd be concerned with red eye, the angle between the lens centerline and the flash centerline to the subject does not seem that great at regular portrait differences. I use a Custom Bracket JR but is a bit large (see my avatar).

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Bravozulu Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Jun 2012Tue 12-Mar-13 06:49 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Happy With New Bracket"
In response to Reply # 1

Los Angeles, US

No mention is made on the CB website about this model and redeye. The shift between lens axis and flash axis looks to be about the same as what you have on your bracket. I don't know if that shift solves redeye problems or not.

However, the flash is also positioned slightly forward of the lens as well. Again, I don't know.

Al Snyder's website, where I first learned of this equipment, speaks a lot about wedding shooting. That is his primary business, and he make flash accessories (battery packs) aimed at the wedding photo market.

Al points to the CB because their gear is all CNC machined aluminum. I tend to be rough in handling my equipment. As are wedding shooters and paparazzi. That's why I bought the CB. I can't break it or dislodge cord/shoe/speedlite. Sometimes even pulling a rig out of the camera bag causes something to come loose.

The $9 made-in-India bracket fell short only because of build quality. Otherwise, it did the job. (not in portrait mode, though) The CB is tough. And simple.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61034 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.