Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61000
View in linear mode

Subject: "sb400 question" Previous topic | Next topic
Tangelo Registered since 24th Jan 2013Thu 07-Mar-13 06:08 AM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sb400 question"

US

I want to hold the sb400 in my hand and I know that's not possible with the D5100, but is it if I have some kind of cable connected to the camera? Suggestions? Thanks.

My Website

My Flickr

My Tumblr

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: sb400 question
djreed Gold Member
07th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
07th Mar 2013
MEMcD Moderator
07th Mar 2013
Tangelo
08th Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
08th Mar 2013
Tangelo
08th Mar 2013

djreed Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jul 2008Thu 07-Mar-13 02:08 PM
25 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Downers Grove, US

Good morning... Unfortunately the Sb400 will not work wirelessly but you can take it off camera with the Nikon SC -28 hot shoe extension cable. I have one and it works great... Also lets you bounce off the ceiling when framing in portrait. Good luck

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 08:24 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 07-Mar-13 08:27 PM by Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Good morning... Unfortunately the Sb400 will not work
>wirelessly but you can take it off camera with the Nikon SC
>-28 hot shoe extension cable. I have one and it works great...
>Also lets you bounce off the ceiling when framing in portrait.

This will work, but I recommend NOT using TTL-BL when doing this, because TTL-BL depends on the flash being the same distance from the subject as the camera. Also, TTL-BL mode makes the flash provide fill for the ambient, which is not usually what you want when shooting indoor or studio portraits.

Remember, with the SB-400, you will be in TTL-BL mode if you select Matrix or CW metering on the camera. There is no switch on the flash itself.

Therefore, if you use an SC-28 cable with the SB-400, be sure to use the Spot Metering mode on the camera, so the flash will be in Regular TTL mode.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 07-Mar-13 08:20 PM
25012 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alveraz,

You need an: SC-17. (Discontinued), SC-28, or SC-29 TTL extension cord.
There are also third party SC-17 cords available at www.flashzebra.com .
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Tangelo Registered since 24th Jan 2013Fri 08-Mar-13 05:07 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks so much for the help guys! However I'm a little confused. Which one should I get, the 17, 28 or 29? Which one is the best option? I will be hand holding the flash at relatively same distance as camera from my subjects on the street. I will just be holding it off camera a a couple feet so it's not a straight flash (as far as my arm will extend out to my side. Which cable is best for that? Thanks again!

My Website

My Flickr

My Tumblr

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Mar-13 06:20 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Thanks so much for the help guys! However I'm a little
>confused. Which one should I get, the 17, 28 or 29? Which one
>is the best option? I will be hand holding the flash at
>relatively same distance as camera from my subjects on the
>street. I will just be holding it off camera a a couple feet
>so it's not a straight flash (as far as my arm will extend out
>to my side. Which cable is best for that? Thanks again!

The differences between these cables are very minor.

The SC-17 doesn't have as good a locking mechanism as the 28 or 29 to secure it to the hot shoe. It also does not have a focus assist light.

The SC-28 doesn't have a focus assist light, but it has a good locking mechanism.

The SC-29 has a focus assist light and a good locking mechanism. This is the one I own, and I like the focus assist lamp, since I often shoot in complete darkness. The light is in the piece that mounts in the camera hot shoe, and always illuminates what you see in the viewfinder, regardless of where you point the flash.

Therefore, I would recommend the SC-29, so you get the focus assist light, especially since you will be using the SB400 flash, which doesn't have a light of its own.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Tangelo Registered since 24th Jan 2013Fri 08-Mar-13 08:06 PM
#6. "RE: sb400 question"
In response to Reply # 5

US

perfert, will do! thanks again for all the help.

My Website

My Flickr

My Tumblr

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #61000 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.