nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60997
View in linear mode

Subject: "3 flash question" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Thu 07-Mar-13 02:25 AM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"3 flash question"

US

Hi everyone, not sure if anyone would know the answer to this or not, but I finally ended up getting the stop shot system from cosignys or however you spell it. I can now set my 2 flashes along side my waterdrop dish and when I hit the control button, my drop will drip and my 2 flashes will go off. I have to set them manually, but I don't need my pop up flash to set them off, the controller does that for me,,,,(a long way from my baggie right?) Well, I haven't been utilizing all this stop shot can do because I have just, since I got it, been using my commander mode on my camera to set off my flashes. So now, I'm thinking I need to start using this machine the way it was intended to get my $$$$$$ worth out of it.. Here is my question. I would like to get another flash to possible either hang it up above my waterdrop splash or even put it behind the dish where it splashes. Now if I have the controller controlling the first two, do I understand correctly that my pop up flash or commander mode should set off the 3rd flash.? Am I making this too complicated to understand..sorry if I am. My main question I guess is this, I have sb700 and the sb600, if I opted not to use the controller and just wanted to use commander mode for the 2, which should I buy for the 3rd flash?
Now, I'm confused,,,too...Bottom line, I want a third flash,,,what would be a good one to get? I don't want to go the expensive route because I use the 700 for mostly every other thing I do, but I don't know if it would set off 2 600"s...

Darlene

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 3 flash question
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
07th Mar 2013
pasknucklehead Silver Member
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
08th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013
09th Mar 2013

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 07-Mar-13 09:39 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi everyone, not sure if anyone would know the answer to this
>or not, but I finally ended up getting the stop shot system
>from cosignys or however you spell it. I can now set my 2
>flashes along side my waterdrop dish and when I hit the
>control button, my drop will drip and my 2 flashes will go
>off. I have to set them manually, but I don't need my pop up
>flash to set them off, the controller does that for me,,,,(a
>long way from my baggie right?) Well, I haven't been
>utilizing all this stop shot can do because I have just, since
>I got it, been using my commander mode on my camera to set off
>my flashes. So now, I'm thinking I need to start using this
>machine the way it was intended to get my $$$$$$ worth out of
>it.. Here is my question. I would like to get another flash
>to possible either hang it up above my waterdrop splash or
>even put it behind the dish where it splashes. Now if I have
>the controller controlling the first two, do I understand
>correctly that my pop up flash or commander mode should set
>off the 3rd flash.? Am I making this too complicated to
>understand..sorry if I am. My main question I guess is this,
>I have sb700 and the sb600, if I opted not to use the
>controller and just wanted to use commander mode for the 2,
>which should I buy for the 3rd flash?
>Now, I'm confused,,,too...Bottom line, I want a third
>flash,,,what would be a good one to get? I don't want to go
>the expensive route because I use the 700 for mostly every
>other thing I do, but I don't know if it would set off 2
>600"s...

If I understand your question right the answer is 'Yes'.

You can use the pop-up flash in Commander Mode and it will fire flashes in two groups. You put two of your three remote flashes in the same group. In other words, you could put your SB700 in Group A and the two SB600's in Group B. This would mean that both SB600's will always fire at the same power; whatever you set in the Commander

You could control the power of the SB700 independently and the power both SB600's as a group. Then, if you need different powers on the SB600's, just move one of them farther away from the subject to reduce its power.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 08-Mar-13 01:13 AM
1426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Russ, I think I understand that,,but here's what I'm still not sure of...If I have my 700 connected via sync chord and my 600 in remote. I know that the only way my 600 is going to fire is if I Have it set to remote,,I can't have it set to manual. Now I know I control that 600 in my camera. Now for the 700 attached with the chord, since it is now the master flash, is it also set in the camera? or is it set manually on the back of the flash? I keep getting that confused. What is set in the camera and what is set on the flash itself...Any simple explaination would be sooooo greatly appreciated.

Darlene

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Mar-13 01:37 AM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 2

>Thanks Russ, I think I understand that,,but here's what I'm
>still not sure of...If I have my 700 connected via sync chord
>and my 600 in remote. I know that the only way my 600 is
>going to fire is if I Have it set to remote,,I can't have it
>set to manual. Now I know I control that 600 in my camera.
>Now for the 700 attached with the chord, since it is now the
>master flash, is it also set in the camera? or is it set
>manually on the back of the flash? I keep getting that
>confused. What is set in the camera and what is set on the
>flash itself...Any simple explaination would be sooooo greatly
>appreciated.

The Commander menu in the camera will only control the pop-up flash Commander functions.

When you mount an external flash in the hot shoe, or connect a flash using the SC-28 cable, that will override the camera Commander menu. You can still change the values in the menu, but it won't do anything. All Commander settings are then done on the back of the flash in the hot shoe or connected to the hot shoe via the cable.

Does that clear it up?

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 08-Mar-13 02:10 AM
#4. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 08-Mar-13 02:40 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Okay, I understand that, but then how do I control the 600 that would be used as the remote when I have the 700 as the master via the sync chord? If I put the 600 in either the manual or the ttl mode, then it isn't set to remote and won't fire. I think that is where I am getting confused...So if the bottom line is this: when I am using the pop up flash, then I can change the exposures of my flashes via camera. If I don't use the pop up flash and use the sync chord or 700 directly on the camera, then I can only set my exposures on the flashes themselves. So the 600 then on remote will always flash at full power, if the 700 is the master?
Please tell me that's correct....

Darlene

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Mar-13 02:48 AM
#5. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 4

>Okay, I understand that, but then how do I control the 600
>that would be used as the remote when I have the 700 as the
>master via the sync chord? If I put the 600 in either the
>manual or the ttl mode, then it isn't set to remote and won't
>fire. I think that is where I am getting confused...So if the
>bottom line is this: when I am using the pop up flash, then I
>can change the exposures of my flashes via camera. If I don't
>use the pop up flash and use the sync chord or 700 directly on
>the camera, then I can only set my exposures on the flashes
>themselves.
>Please tell me that's correct....

Okay, first we have to straighten out the terminology.

You keep using the term "sync chord".

However, when you say 'sync chord', I am pretty sure you really mean the SC-28 flash cable. I don't think you mean 'sync chord', because the SB700 does not have a PC Sync input.

So, assuming you do mean 'Flash Cable', your SB700 will do all of the same functions that it would if it were actually mounted in the hot shoe.

That means that if you put it in Commander Mode, it will control two other flashes (your two SB600's) just as if it were in the hot shoe. You would put your SB600's into Remote Mode and set one in Group A and the other in Group B. The camera Commander menu will be overridden. It will have no effect on anything. All commander inputs will be entered on the back of the SB700.

I hope you understand that when the SB700 is in Commander Mode, it will control two Remote flases as well as its own Master flash.

Using the menu on the back of the SB700, you can put both SB600s as well as the SB700 Master into any mode you choose (Commander Manual or TTL). And you can set their power.

Then when you release the shutter, the SB700 will control both SB600's as well as its own Master Flash.

The pop-up flash must remain down.

The camera commander menu is not used.

I'm not sure how else to explain this.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Fri 08-Mar-13 03:16 AM
#6. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 08-Mar-13 03:27 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Okay, it's FINALLY starting to sink in. I need to go through my sb700 manual because I DIDN'T know that I could control the 600 from the back of the 700. I couldn't figure out how to set the power on the 600 when it was in remote mode and that's what was confusing me. Now it is all coming together. It hadn't clicked to me that that "Master" switch on the 700 actually now was taking the place of the pop up flash on the camera. Is that correct? and if so,,,I am finally getting it....And yes, it's a sc 28 cable. You've explained it beautifully, I just have a really thick head..

Darlene

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Mar-13 07:24 PM
#7. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 6

>It hadn't clicked to me that that "Master" switch on
>the 700 actually now was taking the place of the pop up flash
>on the camera. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct!

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Feb 2008Sat 09-Mar-13 02:19 AM
#8. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you sir for sticking with me til I got it right...That's what makes you the BEST...

Darlene

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 09-Mar-13 02:39 AM
#9. "RE: 3 flash question"
In response to Reply # 8

>Thank you sir for sticking with me til I got it
>right...That's what makes you the BEST...

Thanks for the very nice feedback!

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60997 Previous topic | Next topic