Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60945
View in linear mode

Subject: "I need to take a class in table top lighting 101" Previous topic | Next topic
JBD90 Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2011Mon 04-Mar-13 03:39 AM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"I need to take a class in table top lighting 101"

US

My lighting knowledge is two photo flood bulbs in stands on each side of a soft light box. My wife wants to get serious about eBay and the advice she gets from the serious eBay community is to spend $1k on a light set up. I need to learn what needs to be gotten that is within the proper scale for the task at hand.

I have a D90 she has access to my Canon bridge camera and she has a Nikon point and shoot camera that takes great pics.

I am asking for direction to material etc. to study up. Lighting info I have found online and ebooks are for pro studio gear and arrangement.

Do any of you know where I can get lighting 101 material to come up with a properly scaled solution. Or recommendations.

I will tell you where my mind is now and it will date my knowledge. a few basic strobes hooked up with slaves and a flash meter. Maybe an umbrella. Thanks for any direction.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 04-Mar-13 02:06 PM
763 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: I need to take a class in table top lighting 101"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

A great start would be to think about what you want to photograph. Are the products all similar or do they vary significantly? For small products, there are some box enclosure kits that have two lights with stands for around $100.

The D90 on a tripod should work fine.

Google "product photography lighting". You'll see a lot of hits for lighting solutions, instruction and other resources.

Good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Mon 04-Mar-13 09:37 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: I need to take a class in table top lighting 101"
In response to Reply # 1

US

I have taken some phenomenal pics with this kit, some just using the light stands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MT-45-KIT-PHOTOGRAPHY-STUDIO-LIGHT-TENT-45W-CFL-BULB-/271156398732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f222e4a8c
-
I got it when it was $59, I guess everything goes up in price! ;-(

I can highly recommend the build quality and the light stands!

Look at the pic of the vacuum tripod in my gallery, one of the light stands supplied the spill light on the table.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/411793

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60945 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.