Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #609
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash for sports photos" Previous topic | Next topic
DJ3 Basic MemberSun 18-Nov-01 09:18 PM
81 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash for sports photos"

Montreal, CA

I am currently using a N/F80. I am looking to add an off camera flash unit. so far I have checked out the SB28 & SB50. I know the SB28 is more powerful, but is it really worth the extra $$$? Usually I don't use any flash right now, but the reason I am wondering is that if you are in the stands at a hockey game for example will the flash help at all, or would you need a flash with a ridiculously high G.N? Is it better to just stick with faster film?

I also posted this question on the sports forum in order to get an answer (hope it's okay)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 18-Nov-01 10:46 PM
34280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash for sports photos"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

LAST EDITED ON Nov-19-01 AT 00:51 AM (GMT)

There is no need to double post.
If you are to take sports, you may need the highest GN flash you can afford. Although at hockey I am not that certain any will work since there is a glass between the theoreticians/spectators and the practitioners.
I also attempted an answer here:
http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID48/64.html#
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberMon 19-Nov-01 01:04 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash for sports photos"
In response to Reply # 1

Private, UM

JRP is right, the glass (actually Lexan) will create problems, one of these problems is possible flaring of the flash, which will be noticed the photo.
The other problem is the size of the arena and the distance of the subject that even the most powerful flash will reflect off when fired. Light does not transmit as far as people believe. It is subject to the inverse square law that states that the intensity per unit is that light varies in inverse proportion to the square of the distance (E = I / d2). For this reason, if you were in one end of the arena, it would most likely not make any difference when shooting the goalie at the other end, or even past the red, green, blue or pink line. (Sorry, not a hockey fan...too violent for me }>... even though I'm half "Dryden.)

I would recommend a good high-speed film such as Fuji NHG II 800, which can be pushed one-stop (1600) with good results, and two-stops (3200) with decent results.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #609 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.