Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60899
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-900 wont power up" Previous topic | Next topic
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 28-Feb-13 11:47 PM
8191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-900 wont power up"

Powder Springs, US

I removed alkalines from an SB900 and inserted Imedions in it and it wouldn't power up. I put the alkalines back and it still won't power up.

I stupidly put the Imedions in another SB900 and it wont power up.

Any ideas? There were no high current sounds, popping, or anything. They were both working with their alkalines yesterday!

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-900 wont power up
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Mar 2013
SRFast Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Mar 2013
jrp Administrator
01st Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Mar 2013
Arkayem Moderator
01st Mar 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Mar 2013

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 12:40 AM
8191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Mar-13 12:48 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

Weird. Left the batteries out for 1/2 hour and reinserted the alkalines and they are working. It must have been static electricity, but why would the Imedions have done it?

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Fri 01-Mar-13 12:40 AM
1462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 0

New York City, US

Scott,
Sorry to hear about your SB-900 issue.

From what I know, the Imedion battery is the same as a standard AA battery. If that is the case, they should not have caused a problem with your SB-900s. Do you own a volt meter? If you do, check the actual voltage of each of the Imedion batteries. Maybe one or more of them is not to spec resulting in the SB-900 problem. Keep us updated.

Regards...JL

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 01:00 AM
#3. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

James,

I had just recharged them in my C-9000 and they read about 1.47 volts, probably less by the time I tried them. They should have not been the problem, I wouldn't think.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 01:15 AM
#4. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

They range from 1.38 to 1.42 volts per my VOM. It's really strange, because the same four batteries disabled both Speedlights.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 04:21 AM
34753 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 01-Mar-13 04:24 AM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Glad to hear you could power your flash with the alkalines.

I remember reading in one rechargeable batteries forum that there were several problems with the first batches: proper contact of terminals and the charger stopping at 1,100 or less mAH of charge.
Unfortunately did not bookmark it and have no idea of the reliability of the poster.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 10:14 AM
#6. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

JRP,

That's interesting feedback. These Imedions were the older 2100mAh batteries without the silver gray band at the positive terminal end.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 03:00 PM
6009 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

I had similar problems with some older Imedions. They apparently were manufactured physically out of spec, so that the positive tip was too short to reliably contact the terminal in two of my SB-800's. I threw them away and never tried Imedions again after that.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 06:01 PM
#8. "RE: SB-900 wont power up"
In response to Reply # 7

Powder Springs, US

Thanks Russ!!! That explains it. I thought the battery in the top bay, positive end up, looked short in both flashes. I removed the other three and felt good contact with the door, so I dismissed it as an optical illusion.

I threw them out too, so at least I can use the newer ones without concern.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60899 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.