Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60879
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910" Previous topic | Next topic
Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 03:57 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

Hi all,

Has anyone any experience of using the Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible with the SB-910? I use one with my SB-900 and although it's a very tight fit it does the job and I wouldn't be without it. I've just ordered an SB-910 and was therefore wondering whether the Lightsphere (collapsible) was any easier to fit on the SB-910 than on the SB-900? It has to be the collapsible version as it has to fit in my Lowepro backpack which is already very crowded

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910
Zareeba Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
photoravi Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
Zareeba Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
photoravi Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
avm247 Moderator
25th Feb 2013
nikond90greg Silver Member
27th Feb 2013
TFCJRMD Gold Member
28th Feb 2013
RimaB
28th Feb 2013
jrp Administrator
01st Mar 2013
photoravi Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
barrywesthead Silver Member
01st Mar 2013
mklass Platinum Member
01st Mar 2013
PSAGuy Silver Member
12th Mar 2013

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 01:01 PM
142 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

Well, I guess I've answered my own question - the SB-910 arrived this morning, before expected, and I tried it with the Gary Fong collapsible Lightsphere. Just as with the SB-900 (and really only to be expected if I'd thought about it) it does fit, albeit it takes a bit of effort to get it over the end of the speedlight (but once on, it won't come off until you want it to). I suspect that at least some of the people who have found it doesn't fit have been trying to put it on incorrectly - Gary Fong himself (in one of his excellent videos - see his website) explains that it should be out on at a 45 degree angle. I tried that and found it much easier.

And the SB-910? Well, it rocks. Easier to use than the SB-900, which in turn was easier than the SB-800. Onward!

D4, D800, D300

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

- Artemus Ward

photoravi Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 01:40 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 1

Frankfurt, DE

as you said you already found the answer - the collapsible fits really tight on the SB 910. Its not easy at all to get it over. For me its not working with the 45 degree angle. And: I have to disassemble it after use in order to fit into my pocket.
I saw it in one of Fong's video where he announced it for the SB 900 would fit "easily".
As you said: the best is once attached on SB 900 leave it there.

Avi

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 02:15 PM
#3. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 2

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

The thing to remember is that it's designed to be used either straight up or at a 90 degree angle, not 45 degrees. For me it works perfectly straight up or at 90 degrees.

D4, D800, D300

- Artemus Ward

photoravi Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2012Tue 26-Feb-13 07:58 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 3

Frankfurt, DE

it won't work in 45 degree angle as the entire construct is to heavy and the flash unit will only stay in 90 degree position or upright.

Avi

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberMon 25-Feb-13 04:00 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Glad to hear it, I've picked up an SB-910 last Christmas but haven't had a chance to really use it. Ordering a GF Lightsphere Collapsible soon.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

nikond90greg Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2010Wed 27-Feb-13 12:10 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 4

Yorba Linda, CA, US

What I don't like about my Lightsphere is that the dome can't be attached to it's body, when you collaspe it. Makes it very hard to travel with it in my Tamrac bag or Low Pro sling pack.

TFCJRMD Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2009Thu 28-Feb-13 10:06 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 6

Bowling Green, US

For me the poor fit on SB 900 was the dealbreaker. Too much trouble getting it on and off which the manufacturer didn't dispute.
I returned it and they graciously refunded my money.

RimaB Registered since 01st Oct 2011Thu 28-Feb-13 03:41 PM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

I have the SB800 & 600. Can you folks tell me if it works well with that? I was wondering as well if the collapsible model is ever a bit wobbly when on camera. I'd hate to have to play around with it during a shoot.

Thanks,
Rima

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 01-Mar-13 04:08 AM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 8

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The Gary Fong Collapsible model fits tight on the SB-900 and SB-910.

It is of course easier to mount on an SB-800 and smaller units (SB-700, SB-600).

For me, the Universal is the easier to mount and hardly likely to fall off on any flash. However not as easy to pack.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

photoravi Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2012Fri 01-Mar-13 12:24 PM
#10. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 8

Frankfurt, DE

Hi RIma,

I am using the collapsible on the SB 800 (and prefer it this way, as mounting it on the SB 910 is stress for the flash and photographer).

It will easily fit with SB 800.

Avi

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Fri 01-Mar-13 02:37 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Mar-13 03:33 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

I have no personal experience with the Lightsphere but I have seen some Nikonians praising the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer. HERE

I made my own for SB800's and 900's with some 3/32" Black Sintra formed with a heat gun, Epson adhesive backed white vinyl and Velcro One-Wrap.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 01-Mar-13 03:22 PM
6011 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 01-Mar-13 03:23 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I've used the collapsable for years on SB-900s. If you put it face down on a hard surface, and hold your speedlight by the head, it is not that hard to wiggle on and push until flush with the inside of the Lightsphere. It just take s a little practice. I would not recommend doing this while holding the speedlight by the base, as it will stress the joint between the base and head.

Depending on which dome you use, it can stay on the Lightsphere when collapsed and in your bag (not the Chromedome, however).

For something that is an effective light modifier and easy to pack, it can't be beat.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Tue 12-Mar-13 07:27 PM
945 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Gary Fong Lightsphere Collapsible and SB-910"
In response to Reply # 12
Tue 12-Mar-13 07:27 PM by PSAGuy

Lake Elmo, US

I agree with Mick....It's a really simple tool to use and it does the job well. I noticed my GF Collapsible gets more and more easy to fit on my 900's the more I use it. maybe it's "practice" or maybe it actually loosens up a bit. At first it gave me fits, but now it seems to be a breeze to handle.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60879 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.