nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60860
View in linear mode

Subject: "D700 and R1 Flash unit" Previous topic | Next topic
danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 04:28 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D700 and R1 Flash unit"

Framingham, US

OK, so I've got the R1 firing with the Pop up flash in Commander mode.

Is there a setting that allows me to turn off the flash but still activate the SB 200s?

Also, I'm having trouble getting proper exposure when the R1 fires. Most of the results are underexposed. What settings should I be using to get proper exposure?

Thanx!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Feb 2013
danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Feb 2013
danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Feb 2013
23rd Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
23rd Feb 2013
23rd Feb 2013
RABaker
23rd Feb 2013
23rd Feb 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
24th Feb 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 23-Feb-13 03:00 PM
6255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

When you are using the built in flash in commander mode, set the built-in flash to not fire (--). It will still fire a low power flash containing the signals in the infrared range to trigger the SB-200s.

If you are very close to something, that can have some effect on the exposure. To prevent that, you need the SG-31R This allows the infrared portion for the light from the pup-up flash to get through, while blocking the visible portion.

As for underexposure, check to be sure you do not have any flash compensation dialed in on the camera, both with the flash control button on the body, or in you commander settings. The SB-200s are not that powerful, so if your subject is not close to the camera, they will not be effective.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 04:37 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
In response to Reply # 1

Framingham, US

>When you are using the built in flash in commander mode, set
>the built-in flash to not fire (--). It will still fire a low
>power flash containing the signals in the infrared range to
>trigger the SB-200s.
>
>If you are very close to something, that can have some effect
>on the exposure. To prevent that, you need the
>SG-31R
>This allows the infrared portion for the light from the pup-up
>flash to get through, while blocking the visible portion.
>
>As for underexposure, check to be sure you do not have any
>flash compensation dialed in on the camera, both with the
>flash control button on the body, or in you commander
>settings. The SB-200s are not that powerful, so if your
>subject is not close to the camera, they will not be
>effective.

Mick,

Thanx for the input. I've disabled the pop-up flash in Commander mode, even though the SG-31R is included in the R1 Kit.

What ISO setting do you recommend with the R1 kit and the D700 with the two SB-R200s? Also do you dial in compensation in the Commander mode or via button on top? Thanx!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 23-Feb-13 04:58 PM
6255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

You may still need to use the SG-31R if the low power light from the on-board flash is not to you liking.

I generally just use the setting in the commander menu to set the flash power. Doing it in two places just confuses me when the results are not as I expected!

Mick
or

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 05:12 PM
#4. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
In response to Reply # 3
Sat 23-Feb-13 05:13 PM by danamc

Framingham, US

Mick, curious to know what flash power settings you've dialed in in the commander menu.

It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one shot to the next. ANy suggestions?

Thanx!

>You may still need to use the SG-31R if the low power light
>from the on-board flash is not to you liking.
>
>I generally just use the setting in the commander menu to set
>the flash power. Doing it in two places just confuses me when
>the results are not as I expected!
>
>Mick
>http://www.mickklassphoto.com
>or
>Visit
>my nikonians gallery>

Mick, curious to know what flash power settings you've dialed in in the commander menu.

It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one shot to the next. ANy suggestions?

Thanx!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 23-Feb-13 05:29 PM
#5. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

IT's been a while since I had a D700, but I believe it is the same Flash Commander menu as in teh D300s sitting in front of me.

After you enter Commander mode in the menu, and have set your Built-in flash for "--":

{ul]

• set your group a to the Mode that you want to use
  • then set the Comp to a + or - value when using TTL or AA, or to a power fraction in M (manual)mode, with 1/1 being full power and 1/128 the lowest setting.

You can set that for each of two groups, so whatever Speedlight you have in that group will fire at that power level. For macro photography, if, for example, you have a SB-200 to the left of the subject and another to the right, make one Group A and the other Group B, the adjust the Comp differently for each to set up a desirable lighting ratio.

You've probably already made sure the channel is set properly so the flashes fire on command from your camera.

Mick
    or

• Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 07:23 PM
    27031 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
    #6. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
    In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Dana,

>It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one shot to
    >the next. ANy suggestions?

Are you allowing the SB-R200's enough time to fully recycle before you release the shutter?

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
    Marty

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 07:59 PM
    #7. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
    In response to Reply # 6

Framingham, US

I've got the on-board flash set to -- in the Commander mode, and TTL in Group A and B. I would have thought that TTL would assure that consistent exposure is achieved each exposure. Its actually the reason I picked up the R1 kit over the Sigma 140 ring flash I was using for a few years.

>Hi Dana,
    >
    >>It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one shot
    >to
    >>the next. ANy suggestions?
    >
    >Are you allowing the SB-R200's enough time to fully recycle
    >before you release the shutter?
    >
    >Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 23-Feb-13 10:11 PM
    731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
    #8. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
    In response to Reply # 4

Sunnyvale, US

"It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one shot to the next."

Just to be sure... do you have auto-bracketing set on the camera?

Good luck,
    Richard

danamc Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSat 23-Feb-13 11:54 PM
    #9. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
    In response to Reply # 8

Framingham, US

Richard, you hit the nail on the head. That was it. Thanx.

>"It seems I'm getting inconsistent exposures from one
    >shot to the next."
    >
    >Just to be sure... do you have auto-bracketing set on the
    >camera?
    >
    >Good luck,
    >Richard

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 05:58 PM
    4435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
    #10. "RE: D700 and R1 Flash unit"
    In response to Reply # 9

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Dana.

We all do that once in a while!

I have the RC1 system as well but with a SU800 for a commander. I have three of the SB200s and find that I can light just about anything for macro photography.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60860 Previous topic | Next topic