Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid questi..." Previous topic | Next topic
SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 06:33 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "

MERRIMACK, US

I just got a new toy - Nikon SB-700 - and working my way through some documentation and on-line tutorials &c &c. I take the little piece of plastic off the accessory shoe and place it on the desk and attach the SB-700 when an obviously stupid question emanates from my brain: "What the heck do I do with that little bit of plastic when I'm 'out in the field'?"

So, fully realizing that there are much (much!) smarter-than-I folk out there, does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to ensure that little piece of plastic doesn't get lost? (My simple mind figures I'd just put it in the little coin pocket on my jeans, but I am hoping there is a much more clever solution out there.)

Regards,
Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid qu...
Chris Platt Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
blw Moderator
22nd Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
22nd Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
23rd Feb 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
22nd Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
22nd Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
22nd Feb 2013
mfphoto1
23rd Feb 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
RABaker
23rd Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
PhotoSpydie Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
smkunder Silver Member
23rd Feb 2013
jbloom Gold Member
26th Feb 2013
Leonard62 Gold Member
23rd Feb 2013
Zareeba Gold Member
24th Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
25th Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
25th Feb 2013
SupraDad Silver Member
25th Feb 2013

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 06:56 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Well there aren't any stupid questions, but there can be stupid answers. Here is my stupid answer: throw it away as I did. I've never kept one of those things and have never noticed any ill effects. If you want to keep something in the shoe when you don't have a flash, consider a spirit level - they can be very handy.

Visit my gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Fri 22-Feb-13 07:25 PM
26778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 1

Richmond, US

I have a reason for using them... Several times I have tried to mount a flash on my camera and discovered that IT JUST DID NOT FIT. Wotzat? A (cringe) slight "persuasion" with (gag) a flat-bladed screwdriver fixes the problem. After about the zillionth time (probably about the fourth one, really) I discovered that putting the camera in one particular spot in my Airport International with the L-bracket mounted caused the shoe to sit up just far enough to get bent in - slightly - if the case ended up in some tight quarters. (Such as, for example, the overhead bin on a 747-400.)

Upon figuring this out (it took two months), I exhumed one of those little plastic thingies and now they ride around in the shoe when traveling. So far so good - no slightly bent shoe rails since then.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 22-Feb-13 07:27 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 1

Tacoma, US

Well, that's one approach. But I tend to believe god put that thing on earth for a reason: to protect your hot shoe from dirt, gunk and the other hazards of life that could make your flash non-responsive.

If you're likely to forget that you stuck it in your pocket, get one of these, stick the end on top of the cover and loop the strap through your camera strap or the strap lug.

Or get one of these for your camera strap to put the cover in when you're speedlight is mounted on the camera. It can also be used to put at hotshoe mountable GPS uint (it was designed for Nikon's GP-1) or any other hotshoe mountable accessory.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 07:41 PM
200 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 4

MERRIMACK, US

>If you're likely to forget that you stuck it in your pocket,
>get one of
>these,
>stick the end on top of the cover and loop the strap through
>your camera strap or the strap lug.

Thanks Mick - this looks very helpful (and quite clever too). I'll put that on my "to order list" - as, well, shipping costs on something like that would be kind of...non-optimal! In the meantime, I'll just use the "temporary storage in the coin pocket" approach.

Regards,
Alan

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 22-Feb-13 07:48 PM
6053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 5

Tacoma, US

If you are near a camera store, they probably sell something like it. You can also probably get one in the camera department at BestBuy, Target, Walmart and similar stores.

Mick
or

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 07:50 PM
#7. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 6

MERRIMACK, US

Yeah, well, just went to the local camera store today and that emptied my wallet. If I go back again soon, the wallet will just get emptier... Is that possible? Seems to happen whenever I go into that store... But if I am near one of those other stores, I'll try to remember to get it there. Thanks again.

Regards,
Alan

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 08:05 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 6

Newburg, US

I was being a bit facetious - I don't recall ever throwing one out - just losing them almost immediately - without lament. Now in the case of my Pansanic 4/3, the cover also protects the recessed contacts for the EVF, which, unlike the top of the hotshoe, would be very difficult to keep clean. I've managed not to lose that one.

I can't imagine my hotshoe getting so dirty (or allowing it to) that a flash would not work. That has never happened. The only concern that has occured to me is potential issues arising from conductive material bridging the contacts somehow - though I don't know what if any real risk there is there. I haven't encountered any problem to date.

I certainly wouldn't encourage anybody to throw one out if they're concerned. Just, IMO, there needn't be too much angst associated with the risk of loss.

Visit my gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 23-Feb-13 06:51 PM
26394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Chris,

I have an old 35mm film canister that I keep in my larger camera bags.
When I take a PC cap, MTR cap, or other small cover off of a camera body of flash it goes in the film canister for safe keeping.
When I am using a smaller bag the caps go in a zippered pocket in the bag.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sat 23-Feb-13 09:46 PM
1275 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 20

Toronto, CA

I discarded mine -- so now I have to buy a new camera to get a new one

----
Dennis Smith.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 22-Feb-13 07:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

It looks nice but I do not see it preventing the hot shoe from corroding or getting dirty. For years cameras came without it.

You can stick in your pocket or put in the camera box and forget about it. Better in the box than lost outside.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 22-Feb-13 07:58 PM
8496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

From the deep weeds in far left field ...

How 'bout a wad of well chewed bubble gum, stuck to the tip of one of your shoes. Then stick the little plastic thingy onto the bubble gum. When you take your shoes off at night, it will be sitting right there where you left it.

Clever, yes?

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Fri 22-Feb-13 08:00 PM
#9. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 8

MERRIMACK, US

>From the deep weeds in far left field ...
>
>How 'bout a wad of well chewed bubble gum, stuck to the tip of
>one of your shoes. Then stick the little plastic thingy onto
>the bubble gum. When you take your shoes off at night, it
>will be sitting right there where you left it.
>
>Clever, yes?

Clever for sure - but they don't make gum like they used to, at least it doesn't seem to have as much seemingly permanent stickiniss like it did when I was a kid. But it sure is a good thing to remember if caught unprepared otherwise...

Regards,
Alan

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 23-Feb-13 01:46 AM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 23-Feb-13 01:47 AM by mfphoto1

Cincinnati, US

Why not just stick in the flash stand accessory that came with the flash? or drop it into the flash bag.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 02:45 AM
637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 23-Feb-13 02:47 AM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

I bought three spares...if I can only remember where I put them!
The only dumb question is one I can't answer.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 23-Feb-13 07:05 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Sunnyvale, US

In December of 2005 I took that little piece of plastic out of the hotshoe of my D200 and put it in a zipper pocket in my camera bag. It is still there and has never gone back on the camera. I have not had any problem with the hotshoe/flash and I don't expect any problems in the future. As already mentioned, none of the camera manufactures provided such a cover "back in the old days" and there was never any widespread problem with dirty flash contacts. Use it if it makes you feel more comfortable, or if you are at risk of damage like Brian with his L-bracket and one particular place in his bag, but I just don't want to have to worry about keeping track of it.

Good luck,
Richard

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Sat 23-Feb-13 08:35 AM
4842 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Stick it in a box with all the other pointless get in the way black plastic caps that cover the sockets on modern day cameras (that includes never ready lens caps)and forget about them until you decide to sell the item on. These silly little bits of plastic are a pain in the *** and should be discarded...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Sat 23-Feb-13 11:46 AM
#16. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 15

MERRIMACK, US

Wow! I guess it may be some Yankee-bred compulsion that makes me want to keep things as they should be. At least from the sounds of it, I shouldn't lose any sleep if I misplace the little plastic PITA...

Thanks to all - I do appreciate the feedback & insight.

Regards,
Alan

PhotoSpydie Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Jul 2011Sat 23-Feb-13 12:32 PM
193 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 16

Buckeye, US

So I have read all the responses and laughed until I have tears rolling down my cheeks!! Thanks for starting my day off with such a great smile.

smkunder Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Sat 23-Feb-13 01:09 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 17
Sat 23-Feb-13 01:10 PM by smkunder

Highland, US

Yup lost mine first time I put my new flash on, I put it somewhere I would not lose it, and have not seen it since. I am assuming one could buy a replacement if they felt the need.

Looking to learn as much as possible

Steve

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 26-Feb-13 12:57 AM
6783 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 15

Wethersfield, US

>Stick it in a box with all the other pointless get in the way
>black plastic caps that cover the sockets on modern day
>cameras

I have a box like that. Hotshoe covers, plastic end caps for various Nikon batteries, battery compartment covers for SB-800's, and a host of things that really, I no longer have any idea what they are. But will I throw them away? Nah!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 23-Feb-13 03:53 PM
3184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 0

Hatboro, Pa, US

I save the box my camera bodies come in. Then I put the little hot shoe cover in the box, never to be seen again until I sell the body. When I put the body up for sale the little plastic piece actually makes the body look newer and better cared for than other sellers I'm competing with. Other than that I find it useless because I don't travel much or drop my camera prism first into a mud puddle.

I really like the chewing gum trick though. I had to wait until I stopped laughing before I could write this reply.

Len

Zareeba Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2008Sun 24-Feb-13 04:07 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 19

Stockton-on-Tees, GB

Not a stupid question at all - and in fact reading it made me realise that when messing around with my D800 a couple of hours ago I took the little plastic thingy off so I could mount the SB-900 - after I'd finished I put the camera back in my backpack (where it lives) and forgot the little plastic thingy, which was on the dining room table! I like to keep things right so even though the little plastic thingy (does it even have a name? manual not to hand so can't see if it has) may not be essential I still get twitchy about not losing it. So thanks for the reminder, even though it wasn't intentional!

D4, D800, D600

It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us in trouble. It's the things we know that just ain't so.

Why is this thus? What is the reason of this thusness?

- Artemus Ward

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 06:41 PM
#23. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 22

MERRIMACK, US

I figured out something - will see how it works: Was reading "The Nikon Creative Lighting System" by Mike Hagen - and he suggested using velcro and a (large) index card to to help with bounce flash. Well, I looked at the resulting velcro on top of the SB-700 when some insight penetrated the thick slab of granite between my ears: I added a small piece of velcro a little further back on the top of the SB-700 and put a little on the back of the accessory shoe cover and - et voila! - it appears to be working. It's conveniently located for quick on/off and seems stable enough.

Regards,
Alan

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 25-Feb-13 07:38 PM
#24. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 23

Tacoma, US

I've tried that by placing a piece of Velcro on my forehead. It's always interesting to see what's there the next morning when I look in the mirror to shave!

Mick
or

SupraDad Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Apr 2012Mon 25-Feb-13 08:07 PM
#25. "RE: Proving that there is such a thing as a a stupid question - what to do with the accessory shoe cover? "
In response to Reply # 24

MERRIMACK, US

I have a lot of forehead Mick - never thought of using it to store things: I could put lots of velcro on it and have plenty of room to hold lens covers, accessory shoe covers, speed lights, other lenses, second camera body, ... wouldn't have to carry a backpack that way! Great suggestion.

Regards,
Alan

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60846 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.