Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60843
View in linear mode

Subject: "Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 re..." Previous topic | Next topic
berchman Registered since 28th Oct 2007Thu 21-Feb-13 06:55 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
Thu 21-Feb-13 08:29 PM by berchman

Boiling Springs, US

As I understand it, the new Sekonic L-478DR light meter would permit me to control the power of my remote speedlights from the meter. Does this mean that I would not have a need for the Pocket Wizard AC-3?

Another question I have is whether I'm required to mount an SB800, 900 or 910 on the camera in order to use the Sekonic to control the remote flashes in TTL mode.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-...
MEMcD Moderator
21st Feb 2013
berchman
22nd Feb 2013
bassman1946 Silver Member
24th Feb 2013
berchman
24th Feb 2013
ScottChapin Moderator
02nd Mar 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 21-Feb-13 10:20 PM
25943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Marvin,

No.
You will need either an SU-800/ SB-800-910 or an AC3 zone controller attached to an off camera Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 to adjust the power of each group.

The system only works in Manual flash mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

berchman Registered since 28th Oct 2007Fri 22-Feb-13 01:59 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
In response to Reply # 1

Boiling Springs, US

Thanks for the clarification.

bassman1946 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 03:35 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
In response to Reply # 2

Petersburg, US

So this brings up something I was wondering about. If I use a 478 to adjust the levels of my lights and I also have an ac3 and also make an adjustment from there, are the adjustments cumulative? Or does one over ride the adjustment of the other?

berchman Registered since 28th Oct 2007Sun 24-Feb-13 07:24 PM
#4. "RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
In response to Reply # 3

Boiling Springs, US

>So this brings up something I was wondering about. If I use a
>478 to adjust the levels of my lights and I also have an ac3
>and also make an adjustment from there, are the adjustments
>cumulative? Or does one over ride the adjustment of the
>other?

According to the instructional videos I've been watching, you use the Sekonic to set your flash levels and you must dial in the same levels on the AC-3, but it's the Sekonic which does the controlling. There has to be one "boss" so it is not cumulative.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberSat 02-Mar-13 08:34 PM
8100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Does the Sekonic L-478DR make the pocket wizard AC-3 redundant?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Here's the scoop. In the flash setting screen of the Pocket Wizard software you set your MiniTTL or FlexTTL to "trigger only". When you meter you adjust the flash groups to your desired levels with the meter. When you trip the shutter, the levels are not altered. You do not need an AC3.

You do need CTL for the flash meter to communicate with the FlexTTL receiver to set the levels. Therefore you need a CTL transmitter to trigger, but trigger only.

I have custom setting one set to CTL with iTTL triggering and custom setting two set to trigger only for meter use.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60843 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.