Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60831
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB80DX on D800E" Previous topic | Next topic
bjorn_nexo Silver Member Charter MemberSun 17-Feb-13 03:51 PM
692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB80DX on D800E"
Sun 17-Feb-13 03:53 PM by bjorn_nexo

Aarhus, DK

I have been using my SB80DX for a number of years with a D2x. Now I've switched to D800E and it doesn't work. I sometimes get vastly overexposed images, and the communication of eg iso does not work. Am I doing something wrong, is something broken, or is it a known incompatibility?

Bjorn
-a Nikonian in Denmark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 17-Feb-13 04:06 PM
26466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB80DX on D800E"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bjorn,

The SB-80DX uses D-TTL flash control. The D2X is backwards compatible and supports D-TTL flash control as well as i-TTL flash control.
The D-800E only supports i-TTL flash control. Therefore with the SB-80DX will only work in non-TTL Auto flash mode or Manual flash mode when used on your D800E.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bjorn_nexo Silver Member Charter MemberMon 18-Feb-13 07:33 AM
692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB80DX on D800E"
In response to Reply # 1

Aarhus, DK

Thank you Marty
It seems that I need TTL control, as I often use flash with long lenses (Nature photography). Sometimes I also work with the Better Beamer, although it is a rickety contraption. Which flash would you recommend? The SB-910 or a third party product?

Bjorn
-a Nikonian in Denmark

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 18-Feb-13 09:03 AM
26466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB80DX on D800E"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bjorn,

I would recommend getting a Nikon Speedlight since they were designed together with the camera bodies to be part of a fully intigrated system. I use SB-800's and SB-900's and have been happy with their performance. I am sure the SB-910 will work just as well.
Since you shoot birds, the Nikon Speedlights have a shorter flash duration than at least some of the third party offerings.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

bjorn_nexo Silver Member Charter MemberMon 18-Feb-13 05:44 PM
#4. "RE: SB80DX on D800E"
In response to Reply # 3
Tue 19-Feb-13 08:53 AM by bjorn_nexo

Aarhus, DK

Thank you Marty
SB-910 it will be.

Bjorn
-a Nikonian in Denmark

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60831 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.