Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60826
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ring Flash question?" Previous topic | Next topic
Stradibarrius Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Mar 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 09:21 PM
1429 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ring Flash question?"

Monroe, US

I am going to be making a series of close-up shot of eyes. Just one eye generally the eyebrow and maybe just a portion of the bridge of the nose. Is a ring flash the correct method to light this type of shot?

www.barrydudley.com

"Generalizations are made because they are Generally true"

visit my gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 18-Feb-13 12:30 PM
2045 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ring Flash question?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I would think it depends on what you are trying to achieve. Using a ring light would place a donut shaped catch light in the eye. That may or may not be desirable.

There was an interesting discussion about this over in the Dxx forums that you might find of interest and possibly helpful.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Mon 18-Feb-13 12:58 PM
5909 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ring Flash question?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

The ring flash will do as stated with the catch lights. You didn't say what lens you plan to use and what the distance will be from the subject, but assuming you plan to get close, the ring flash or Nikon R1 (or R1C1) will let you get close without shadows or having the light in the wrong place.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 18-Feb-13 06:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ring Flash question?"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

The R1 and R1-C1 kits include diffusers that can cut down on hot spots in the eyes

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60826 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.