nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
sam49

UK
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sam49 Registered since 01st Feb 2013
Wed 13-Feb-13 10:26 AM

Hi guys
I am looking for a little starter advice for my new SB-700 and my D5100.
I just bought the SB-700 and I am not sure what setting I need to use just to get started I’m trying the TTL method first till I get more familiar with the flash gun.
I see that as soon as turn both the camera and flash gun on my camera sets the shutter speed to 1/60 I understand from the manual is correct.
I am using a Nikon 18 to 105 mm lens and I am not sure what aperture to use I have tried 3.5 and 5.6 I am indoors in a normal lit room, I have the ISO set at 100. I am also bouncing the flash off the roof.
But all my photos are quite dark, so I have added +2 EV on the flash and now the photos are a lot better.
So is this normal to have to do this EV compensation or have I missed something in the manual.
Also on the flash guns screen it sometimes says TTL and sometimes TTL BL I think the TTL BL is a balanced light and I don’t know the difference with TTL and I-TTL is and can I use I-TTL on the D5100
Please don’t say read the manual as I have read it over and over again and I’m still confused.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: SB-700 Settings

G