Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60796
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-700 Settings" Previous topic | Next topic
sam49 Registered since 01st Feb 2013Wed 13-Feb-13 10:26 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-700 Settings"

GB

Hi guys
I am looking for a little starter advice for my new SB-700 and my D5100.
I just bought the SB-700 and I am not sure what setting I need to use just to get started I’m trying the TTL method first till I get more familiar with the flash gun.
I see that as soon as turn both the camera and flash gun on my camera sets the shutter speed to 1/60 I understand from the manual is correct.
I am using a Nikon 18 to 105 mm lens and I am not sure what aperture to use I have tried 3.5 and 5.6 I am indoors in a normal lit room, I have the ISO set at 100. I am also bouncing the flash off the roof.
But all my photos are quite dark, so I have added +2 EV on the flash and now the photos are a lot better.
So is this normal to have to do this EV compensation or have I missed something in the manual.
Also on the flash guns screen it sometimes says TTL and sometimes TTL BL I think the TTL BL is a balanced light and I don’t know the difference with TTL and I-TTL is and can I use I-TTL on the D5100
Please don’t say read the manual as I have read it over and over again and I’m still confused.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-700 Settings
RABaker
13th Feb 2013
kukui1967 Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
sam49
14th Feb 2013
fmrnykr Silver Member
15th Feb 2013

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Wed 13-Feb-13 07:48 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-700 Settings"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Feb-13 07:49 PM by RABaker

Sunnyvale, US

I am definitely not an expert at indoor flash, but I think there are several possibilities that could be causing (or contributing to) your issue. A little more information would probably help us analyze the issue and give better responses:
1. How high is the ceiling and what color? Are there any obstructions that could prevent the light from reaching the ceiling, or prevent it from reaching the subject? The higher the ceiling and the darker its color, the less light will reach your subject. Also, if something is obstructing part of the light (a dark beam across the ceiling?) less light will reach the subject.
2. How far away is your subject?
3. After a shot, does the flash-ready light blink for a couple of seconds? If so, this indicates the flash has used its full power but still couldn't reach a "normal" exposure level. However, since you were able to get better results by adding +2 flash exposure compensation that seems to be an indication that there was some unused power remaining in the flash.
4. In what metering mode is the camera set?

Just as a general point, ISO 100 may be a bit low for bounce flash with a relatively slow lens such as yours - especially if there are any other circumstances that could be reducing the light reaching the subject (such as bounce distance, surface color, obstructing objects, etc.). I use an f/2.8 lens for most of my indoor bounce flash shots and I still set the camera at ISO 200. At f/4 or f/5.6 you may get better results with ISO 400 or so.

There are probably other things to ask or think about, but this is what I came up with off the top of my head.

Good luck,
Richard

kukui1967 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 06:38 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-700 Settings"
In response to Reply # 1

US

If the ceiling is too high, or of dark color, bouncing the flash off of it will make your picture darker.

The SB-700 has a built-in bounce card - try your shot with the flash head swiveled 90 degrees upward with the bounce card pulled out. You might also have to raise your ISO to 200.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 14-Feb-13 07:28 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-700 Settings"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 14-Feb-13 07:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The SB-700 has a built-in bounce card, have you tried that?

The SB-700 also has a diffuser dome that can soften the flash.

What meter setting are you using?

Do not have Auto ISO turned on. You want a fixed ISO value and the same ISO value to be used for the ambient light exposure and the flash exposure as the camera will compute both and use both for the final exposure since both occur when the shutter opens.

TTL is "Through The Lens" for measuring the flash exposure on film cameras while the shutter is open and not used by dSLRs. iTTL is "intelligent Through The Lens" and uses pre-flashes to measure the flash exposure and compute the needed exposure for the flash before the shutter is opened and is used by the newer professional film SLRs and all CLS compatible dSLRs. This exposure is separate from the camera's exposure. The Speedlight show TTL when it is in the iTTL mode because of the limited LCD screen size and the amount of data to display.

You might want to read Russ MacDonald's . At least the first 3 posts.

The 1/60 is the slowest sync speed and used for flash bulbs. Your camera should be able to sync up to 1/250 of second.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

sam49 Registered since 01st Feb 2013Thu 14-Feb-13 09:02 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-700 Settings"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 14-Feb-13 09:05 PM by sam49

GB

Hi guys I have been sick for the last few days and I've not got round to trying my flash. so i will get back to it in the next day or so.

But thanks you have given me some good tips to try out.

I will let you know the results as soon as i can

Ps gkaiseril what is this Russ McDonald you mention please

fmrnykr Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Mar 2010Fri 15-Feb-13 12:57 AM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-700 Settings"
In response to Reply # 4

Oakland, US

Sam,

Here's the link to Russ McDonald: http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2009/12/camera-flash-cookbook-for-any-lighting.html

Hope this helps.

Bob

Bob White
San Francisco Bay Area (BWO Brooklyn, N.Y.)

Don't push the river, just let it flow.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/314628/cat/500

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60796 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.