Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60770
View in linear mode

Subject: "Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II" Previous topic | Next topic
photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sat 09-Feb-13 04:22 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"

MD, US

Has anyone used the Photek Softlighter II with a Nikon Speedlight (SB800 or SB910)? I am getting varying opinions about the adaptability. (I don't have the luxury of a studio and have been looking at the Softlighter for it's portability).

Thanks,

Pat

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II
NenBikonian
10th Feb 2013
Reply message Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II
photomia Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
NenBikonian
12th Feb 2013
mklass Platinum Member
12th Feb 2013
Don Boys
14th Feb 2013
Michael_Sexton
23rd May 2013
hujiie Silver Member
24th May 2013
Michael_Sexton
30th May 2013
Don Boys
31st May 2013

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 02:15 AM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

I've never used one, but I know David Hobby of www.strobist.com uses the combination of SB and Softlighter in his work. Check out his recent "On Assignment: Cheap Portable Studio" posts in which he uses two Softlighters and two SB800s (he also tosses in a Lumiquest SBIII in one of the shots).

Seems like it would work and it certainly seems like something with a good bit of adaptability, especially if you can keep the light in relatively close and not have to fire it repeatedly at full power.

Cheers,
Ben

photomia Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2011Sun 10-Feb-13 03:06 AM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 1

MD, US

Thanks, Ben

I am going to check out the strobist site as soon as I finish up here.

My main concern, after doing some research, is the ability to physically connect the speedlight and the softlighter, since that was most of the complaints on the different sites.

Hopefully that issue will be resolved after reading what David Hobby has to say.

Pat

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Tue 12-Feb-13 12:31 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 2

Roswell, US

Not sure about that. It does look like folks have found solutions, though. You might also look into the Lastolite EZ Box line or the Westcott Apollo. Both seem like good options, although perhaps a bit more expensive.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 12-Feb-13 01:45 PM
5970 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've used teh Doftlighter II adn they work pretty well. They are simple to use with a Speedlight, just use an umbrella bracket on your light stand and get a flash shoe for mounting the Speedlight to the bracket.

I've tried several, but the best flash shoe I have found are these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/414166-REG/Crane_NCSLS_SLSN_Flash_Shoe_Mount.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/ They are pricey, but sturdy and have a receptacle for the Speedlight's locking pin. Important if you don't want you light hitting the floor. Cheaper metal shoe mounts are not very consistent in their fit on the speedlight and can cause a short. The ones with thumbscrews to secure teh Speedlight to the foot can damage your Speedlight's mounting plate, this causes problems when mounting it on your camera.

There are a number of umbrella brackets available like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/90709-REG/Medalight_PGSH_Universal_Umbrella_Bracket_with.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 11:13 AM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 4

Hope, US

My suggestion: Start with a good quality umbrella adapter such as

http://flashzebra.com/products/0200/index.shtml

Remove the hotshoe from the spigot, and place a mini ball head

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221096-REG/Giottos_MH1004_320_MH_1004_Mini_Ball.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

The hot shoe goes on the ball head and the spigot into the top of the bracket. The flash on top, then rotate the ball head to the horizontal position. It should go into the sock that way.

Don Boys
Hope, MI

Michael_Sexton Registered since 25th Nov 2006Thu 23-May-13 05:31 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 5

Billings MT, US

>My suggestion: Start with a good quality umbrella adapter
>such as
>
>http://flashzebra.com/products/0200/index.shtml
>
>Remove the hotshoe from the spigot, and place a mini ball head
>
>
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221096-REG/Giottos_MH1004_320_MH_1004_Mini_Ball.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/
>
>The hot shoe goes on the ball head and the spigot into the top
>of the bracket. The flash on top, then rotate the ball head to
>the horizontal position. It should go into the sock that way.
>
>
>

Thanks for the info Don, I've been wanting to purchase a Softlighter but wondered how to attach the flash in the horizontal position...

Michael Sexton
Montana Nikonian

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Fri 24-May-13 02:20 PM
553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use soft boxes and umbrellas. Typically, I use soft box (24" EZ box and 60" ones) with Monolights and umbrellas (white shooting through 43")with SB900's.

I find that for the speed lights, shooting through white umbrellas works best and it is the most portable.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Michael_Sexton Registered since 25th Nov 2006Thu 30-May-13 11:27 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 7

Billings MT, US

Don, here's what I ended up with and it works perfect. Thanks for the info...

Michael Sexton
Montana Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Fri 31-May-13 02:29 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Speedlights & Photek Softlighter II"
In response to Reply # 8

Hope, US

Mike,

Looks great. Glad I could help. Those min ball heads are very useful. I keep one with a freo mounted.

Don

Don Boys
Hope, MI

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60770 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.