nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60762
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync" Previous topic | Next topic
mtedelen Registered since 08th Feb 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 01:59 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"

US

I love photography but am definitely an amateur trying to learn my way around.....

I recently purchased a SB-910 to use with my D600. I also purchased a Yonguo wireless flash trigger. Playing around with it today I am having some trouble. I have my D600 set to High speed sync mode (1/250 (auto FP)) in my menu settings and while experimenting with some low key style lighting I am getting major banding (don't know if i'm using the right term) across the lower half to lower third of the frame, its just all black. Only happens at 1/200 and 1/250 and above. Anything less then that and the exposure is fine.

In case it matters I am just using the flash by itself and set it on the table with the flash stand.

If I use the flash in optical slave mode and trigger it off camera with my pop up camera flash then everything works fine? Shutter speeds higher then 1/200th of a second don't give the exposure any banding?

Needless to say I am thoroughly confused. Don't know if I'm off on my camera/flash settings maybe? I would love to know what I am doing wrong. Thanks in advance!!

Matt

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash s...
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
08th Feb 2013
luckyphoto Gold Member
08th Feb 2013
mtedelen
08th Feb 2013
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Feb 2013
mtedelen
08th Feb 2013
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Feb 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 05:56 AM
27014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Matt,

Welcome to Nikonians!
The maximum sync speed of the D600 is 1/200th sec.
At shutter speeds faster than 1/200th sec. the rear shutter curtain starts closing before the flash fires resulting in the shadow or black band you see at the bottom of the image.

Some triggers are slow and have a slight delay that requires using a shutter speed slower than the maximum sync speed.
Check the Yonguo Manual to see if they recommend using a shutter speed one or two steps slower than the maximum sync speed.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

luckyphoto Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Fri 08-Feb-13 01:52 PM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

If Marty's advice doesn't correct the situation, please post one of the failed photos with the EXIF data. That will provide many of the camera settings and also allow visual identification of the possible source of the issue.

You may also want to look at Nikon's CLS as a triggering system as a handy alternative to the wireless triggers in many cases.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mtedelen Registered since 08th Feb 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 03:54 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks everyone for the advice so far!

Both responses seem accurate. When I use my pop up flash in high speed sync mode to trigger my SB910 I can crank that shutter speed up with no issues. It only happens when i use my wireless triggers.

While researching the issue I learned that while my Yonguno triggers are rated up to 1/250, many report that they get nowhere close to that and actually get around the same speeds I'm getting at 1/160...

Returning the cheap wireless triggers, maybe use a cable for the time being, and buy something nice after I have saved my penny's.

Thanks again!

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Feb-13 04:37 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 3

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>When I use my pop up flash in
>high speed sync mode to trigger my SB910 I can crank that
>shutter speed up with no issues. It only happens when i use my
>wireless triggers.

What are you trying to accomplish by using high speed sync?

I invite you to read my blog article on Auto FP High Speed Sync here:
http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-explained.html

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

mtedelen Registered since 08th Feb 2013Fri 08-Feb-13 07:01 PM
#5. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>>When I use my pop up flash in
>>high speed sync mode to trigger my SB910 I can crank that
>>shutter speed up with no issues. It only happens when i
>use my
>>wireless triggers.
>
>What are you trying to accomplish by using high speed sync?
>
>I invite you to read my blog article on Auto FP High Speed
>Sync here:
>http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/03/10-auto-fp-high-speed-sync-explained.html
>
>Russ
>Nikonian Moderator
>http://russmacdonaldphotos.com">Russell
>MacDonald Photography
>>"http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com"]Nikon
>CLS Practical Guide

For the most part its just me trying to play around absorbing as much as I possibly can, and understanding the little nuances of flash photography. Mostly I will just be taking pictures of my wife and 3 year old. Eventually, If I get good at it, I would love to make a little money on the side taking portraits for friends. So ultimately, High Speed Sync is really not any major benefit to me.... but I still have fun playing around with all this stuff.

I read your blog and it gave me a much better understanding! Thanks for sharing that with me!!

Matt

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 08-Feb-13 07:08 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-910 paired with D600 having trouble with flash sync"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>For the most part its just me trying to play around absorbing
>as much as I possibly can, and understanding the little
>nuances of flash photography. Mostly I will just be taking
>pictures of my wife and 3 year old. Eventually, If I get good
>at it, I would love to make a little money on the side taking
>portraits for friends. So ultimately, High Speed Sync is
>really not any major benefit to me.... but I still have fun
>playing around with all this stuff.

That's an excellent reason!

I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to use high speed sync to stop action. That's not what it is for. High Speed sync was invented to allow you to use fill flash outdoors in bright light while opening up to a wide aperture to blur the background, which is especially useful for portraits.

>I read your blog and it gave me a much better understanding!
>Thanks for sharing that with me!!

You are most welcome! Please post here on Nikonians if anything is still not clear.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60762 Previous topic | Next topic