Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60751
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand" Previous topic | Next topic
Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 04:19 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
Thu 07-Feb-13 07:13 AM by jrp

Springfield, US

I have a Nikon SB-910 and would like to mount it on my Manfrotto 294 tripod.

Is there an available adapter for this type of application or am I stuck with purchasing a lightstand and other misc. accessories?

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US
Io porto e sparare: Nikon D800E & Springfield TRP

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand
King Nothing Gold Member
06th Feb 2013
Thatguy Steve
06th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
07th Feb 2013
leebaylin Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
07th Feb 2013
leebaylin Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
JBS101 Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
11th Feb 2013
SweetMK
07th Feb 2013
Scotty Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Thatguy Steve
12th Feb 2013

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Wed 06-Feb-13 05:29 PM
116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbrook, CA

Before I got my lightstand I used to mount my SB-700 on my tripod by screwing the quick release plate onto the plastic foot the flash came with and then putting it on the ball head. It works fine so long as you don't want to put your camera on the tripod at the same time.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Wed 06-Feb-13 07:03 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 1

Springfield, US

Wow, never even gave that a thought .....

Works perfect .....

Gives me some time now to think about what lightstand(s) to eventually purchase .....

Thanks a bunch .....

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 07-Feb-13 08:27 PM
8441 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Steve:

Here are some other assorted possibilities.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberThu 07-Feb-13 09:06 PM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 3

Baltimore, US

Hal,

Can you break down some of these solutions by make and model no. of the parts, or "how to" if they are custom made? My herd has grown to 5, with a SU-800 as the wrangler, so I'm looking for non-lightstand options to support them.

Lee Baylin

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 07-Feb-13 10:15 PM
8441 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 4

Phoenix, US

Lee:

These are all the result of my own tinkering over a couple years as I plunged deeper into night photography sessions with various law enforcement agencies ten years ago. As I was often in armored vehicles traversing rough terrain at speed, with SB800s mounted in assorted, obscure places, or helicopters with their vibrations, stability and dependability were keys to my efforts. I have not had a single failure or dropped SB800 in my ten years of so of these sessions.

The rig holding the pair of SB800s in the umbrella is an inexpensive speedlight bracket with the shoe cut off, a pair of inexpensive Slik SBH60 ball heads, a pair of RRS flash adapters, and a pair of the 1/4-20 female to 1/4-20 male adapters used to fasten them to the modified bracket. These units are obviously for studio work.

The bottom images include Manfrotto Flex Arms, some small manfrotto #482 ball heads, A Manfrotto Super Clamp #035 (bottom unit on light stand), Nikon Multi-flash adapters (purchased before RRS announced their adapters), and a couple "Pony" contractor's clamps purchased at Home Depot, Lowe's, or possibly on-line, I don't remember. The Pony clamps come in a couple different sizes: #3251 small, and #3252 large. The ones shown here are the smaller ones, as they fit nicely on the light stand columns. Both sizes can be adjusted for gripping tension and used on flat surfaces as the orange tips swivel. For cylindrical surfaces, the area behind the orange tips is used. I find the need for both sizes, and have eight or ten of each made up as shown.

I prefer the Manfrotto 482 ball heads because they are stronger (but more expensive) and am gradually replacing all the Slik units.

The RRS flash adapters between the ball heads and the speedlights are much stronger and less expensive than the Nikon multiflash adapters.

The Manfrotto Flex Arms come in two versions: heavy and light duty. I have both, but prefer the heavy duty model as they are stiffer and will carry a heavier load without flexing or sagging under vibration.

The Super Clamps have an adapter that will permit use on cylindrical tubing and/or flat surfaces. They can also be equipped with a variety of adapters for almost unlimited mounting flexibility.

Carefully drill out the hole in the handle of the Pony clamps to accommodate a short (one inch?) 1/4-20 bolt. That and a couple flat washers are used to attach the ball head to the clamp.

I have more than enough of these assorted clamps, to mount my entire SB800 herd (twelve, the last time I looked in the nest) in almost any required configuration.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

leebaylin Silver Member Charter MemberFri 08-Feb-13 02:19 AM
825 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 6

Baltimore, US

Hal,

Thanks. As always, your responses are precise, concise, and immensly helpful. They will save me untolled hours of trial and error not to mention potential mishaps.

Lee Baylin

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009Sat 09-Feb-13 06:12 AM
498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 6

Canberra, AU

Hal,

Thanks. There are some good ideas here.

Regards,

John

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 11-Feb-13 11:33 PM
#10. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 6

Phoenix, US

Lee and John:

Many thanks for your kind words.

Glad I could help.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Thu 07-Feb-13 09:51 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I have a Nikon SB-910 and would like to mount it on my
>Manfrotto 294 tripod.
>
>Is there an available adapter for this type of application or
>am I stuck with purchasing a lightstand and other misc.
>accessories?

One of the problems with any of the typical speedlight mounts is the stress on the foot.

Something is going to happen, it always does, the foot breaks.

I went to a DIY mount that holds the body in foam.

http://www.sweetmk.com/2012/12/diy-how-to-mount-speedlight-to-a-softbox/

This is detailed for my particular soft box, but, would be usable by adaption, for any flash application.

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Mon 11-Feb-13 08:34 AM
4817 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 0

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Manfrotto Multi clamps are an excellent option - I have 2 and they are worth a look...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Thatguy Steve Registered since 13th Dec 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 09:06 PM
#11. "RE: Mounting A Speedlight on a Tripod vs a Lightstand"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 12-Feb-13 09:07 PM by Thatguy Steve

Springfield, US

This is why Nikonian's & this forum are so important.

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide your input ..... All of you .....

This is good stuff on the cheap for sure ......

Thatguy Steve
Springfield, VA US

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60751 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.