Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60695
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical" Previous topic | Next topic
quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Tue 29-Jan-13 08:22 PM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"

Toronto, CA

When I turn my camera vertical, I do it by rotating counter-clockwise so the right side of the camera is up.

If I then rotate the flash head so the lightsphere points up, it is right over the SB600 sensor. I PRESUME this is why when I do this I get under-exposed photos.

If I shade the sensor the problem goes away ...

So ...

• is may analysis correct?
  • anyone have a neat way to deal with it? (other than rotating clockwise -- I prefer to hang the camera from my right hand)

----
Dennis Smith.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical
mklass Platinum Member
29th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
29th Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
SweetMK
30th Jan 2013
Arkayem Moderator
31st Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Arkayem Moderator
31st Jan 2013
quenton8 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
RABaker
01st Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
01st Feb 2013

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 29-Jan-13 10:07 PM
5860 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

You can mount you flash on a flash bracket (I use the RRS Wedding bracket) so the flash always says over your camera. This also eliminates the problem of having the flash on the left and getting shadows on the right side of your subject.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 29-Jan-13 11:34 PM
25652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dennis,

That is strange!

I assume you are in TTL flash mode?

Are you refurring to the light sensor window on the side of the SB-600?

That sensor is used to detect commands from the Master when the SB-600 is in Remote mode and should not affect the flash exposure at all when the SB-600 is in the cameras hotshoe.

Check the Ready light on the back of the Speedlight or in the viewfinder (lightning bolt symbol on the right side) after you capture an image. If it flashes, the SB-600 has fired at full power. Now check the image. If the image is under exposed, you will have to open the aperture and / or increase the ISO to get a correct exposure.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Wed 30-Jan-13 03:12 AM
1218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 2

Toronto, CA

Of course its the command sensor! -- I KNEW that but forgot.

Its interesting that if I cover that sensor (but maybe I am interfering in some other way when I do that) -- anyway, if I DO cover it, the exposure is back to normal, as it is with the camera and sphere in the normal position.

I am going to play around some and try and narrow it down.

Yes -- perhaps its time I got a bracket -- I do a lot of candid stuff, home, office and church -- so just having the sphere on was simpler!

Birthday is coming and my wife wants to know what to get me

Thanks for the replies!

----
Dennis Smith.

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Wed 30-Jan-13 09:34 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 3

US

"Birthday is coming and my wife wants to know what to get me "

Tell her you want a SC-17 or SC-29 cord, the best investment for the flash you can make.

The SC cord will make the Fong 10 times more useful.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 02:17 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>When I turn my camera vertical, I do it by rotating
>counter-clockwise so the right side of the camera is up.
>
>If I then rotate the flash head so the lightsphere points up,
>it is right over the SB600 sensor. I PRESUME this is why when
>I do this I get under-exposed photos.
>
>If I shade the sensor the problem goes away ...

I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

Is your SB600 mounted in the hot shoe? If so, the command window on the SB600 is not used. The commands are sent to the SB600 through the hot shoe.

So covering the command window would not change the image. Something else must be going on here.

What modes are you using on the SB600 and camera?

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 10:40 PM
#6. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 31-Jan-13 10:41 PM by quenton8

Toronto, CA

Thanks all -- I THINK I have figured it out.

I wear glasses and wear them when shooting, I have the viewfinder adjusted for the glasses -- very nice.

With the lightsphere in the hotshoe and the camera horizontal, no problem.

With the camera vertical and the lightsphere rotated as suggested in the instructions that came with it, the sphere is quite close to the viewfinder and light gets in around my glasses.

If I put my hand between the lightsphere and the camera body it shades the viewfinder and keeps light from creeping in.

If I take off my glasses and put my eye tight the viewfinder the exposure is as expected.

I have had a problem with this for close to 2 years -- posting here forced me to look much more closely.

Not sure where I will take it from here -- but knowing, I can deal with it. And maybe I DO need to get the flash off the camera -- its just that doing candid's at our church, people already comment on the very large "thing" I carry around

----
Dennis Smith.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 31-Jan-13 10:51 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 6

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Ahaa!! I knew there had to be something else going on here.

That's a new one I haven't heard before. Into the memory bank for future use.

Thanks for letting us know.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Thu 31-Jan-13 11:08 PM
#8. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 7

Toronto, CA

I never really believed the "sensor" thing -- it was just that in the heat of photographing randomly moving subjects, putting my finger over it worked -- it was just that my finger dragged my hand into a position to block the light.

----
Dennis Smith.

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Fri 01-Feb-13 01:55 AM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 8

Sunnyvale, US

Dennis,

Thanks for bringing this up and for letting us know what you eventually found - you have helped me too!

I love Nikonians; what a great place.

Thanks,
Richard

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 04:25 AM
25652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB600, Gary Fong Lightsphere, vertical"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Dennis,

Eureka!
It makes perfect sense.
Thanks for the insight.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60695 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.