nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60681
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 and flash basics" Previous topic | Next topic
dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 12:01 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 and flash basics"

clearwater, US

I don't know why I am still having trouble wrapping my head around the SB800. When the flash head is at 90 degrees (shooting direct at the subject) in TTL, I can get perfect exposure. Now, if I put the diffuser on the flash and the head is still 90 degrees and TTL, does the flash automatically compensate for light loss through the diffuser? Now, if I were to bounce the flash at say 45 degrees, does the flash compensate for any bounce for the head being at 45 degrees? Another question: If you have the camera set at say 5.6 1/60 sec. 400 iso, and you bounce the flash off a white ceiling, I get an underexposure. Now, if I open the aperture to say 4.0, will the flash then try and compensate for the larger opening by automatically powering down the flash because of the TTL or will the flash power remain the same only giving me better exposure because of the larger aperture? I guess you could say that I am still having trouble with under exposure with my flash when I bounce or use a diffuser and don't know how to compensate for the light loss. Thanks, Daniel

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 02:32 AM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB800 and flash basics"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Dan,

>I don't know why I am still having trouble wrapping my head
>around the SB800. When the flash head is at 90 degrees
>(shooting direct at the subject) in TTL, I can get perfect
>exposure. Now, if I put the diffuser on the flash and the head
>is still 90 degrees and TTL, does the flash automatically
>compensate for light loss through the diffuser?

Yes! As long as there is sufficient reserve power, the exposure will be the same.

>Now, if I were
>to bounce the flash at say 45 degrees, does the flash
>compensate for any bounce for the head being at 45 degrees?

Yes! TTL (Through The Lens) flash metering detects the monitor preflash and adjusts the flash power to provide a correct exposure.
As long as the Speedlight has sufficient power.

>Another question: If you have the camera set at say 5.6 1/60
>sec. 400 iso, and you bounce the flash off a white ceiling, I
>get an underexposure. Now, if I open the aperture to say 4.0,
>will the flash then try and compensate for the larger opening
>by automatically powering down the flash because of the TTL or
>will the flash power remain the same only giving me better
>exposure because of the larger aperture?

If you were getting underexposure at f/5.6, the Speedlight was almost certainly already fireing at full power. If the red ready light (on the back of the SB-800) and the Ready Light (Lightning Bolt symbol in the viewfinder) is flashing the after the flash fires, the Speedlight has fired at Full Power.
When you set the aperture to f/4 the one less stop of flash power is required for a correct exposure. If the first image was underexposed by one stop or less (assuming the Speedlight fired at Full Power), the second image will be exposed correctly since the flash will have enough power.

>I guess you could say
>that I am still having trouble with under exposure with my
>flash when I bounce or use a diffuser and don't know how to
>compensate for the light loss.

After the flash fires, check the Ready Light and see if it is flashing. If it is, and the image is underexposed, open the aperture and or adjust the position of the flash head and or Diffuser and try again.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 05:45 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB800 and flash basics"
In response to Reply # 1

clearwater, US

Marty, thank you so much for breaking down my questions and answering in terms that I could understand. I have tried to get these questions answered, but never asked to where others understood what I was really asking. I am going to print your answers out and practice using the information you provided. Thank you again so much. Sincerely, Daniel

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 06:33 PM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB800 and flash basics"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Daniel,

Your very welcome.
Glad to help.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60681 Previous topic | Next topic