Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60677
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone have info on SBN7 yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 01:39 AM
594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Anyone have info on SBN7 yet?"

Glenwood, US

I have a Nikon V1, and I am thinking of getting the SBN7 flash. The original flash sold for this camera has a rather puny power output for the price, and while this unit is even more expensive, at least it has an output approaching the the SB400 for DX and FX cameras (but the SB400 sells for about 2/3 the price of SBN7).

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 01:35 AM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Anyone have info on SBN7 yet?"
In response to Reply # 0

Livingston, US

I ordered a V1 and should get it tomorrow. I also pre-ordered the SB-N7 flash because the N5 seems hopelessly underpowered. I usually shoot with a D800 and SB-910, so I don't know how this new flash will perform. However, given the totally different markets for a V1 vs. a D800, I'm not expecting anything really sophisticated. That's ok, though, because I don't expect the V1 to compare with the D800. My objective with the V1 is to get good image quality at medium resolution under favorable circumstances without carrying around six pounds of body and glass. I'll let you know how the new speedlight works out after I've had a chance to play with it.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Skywalker51 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Oct 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 04:24 AM
141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Anyone have info on SBN7 yet?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 13-Feb-13 04:24 AM by Skywalker51

Sacramento, US

I have a V1 and the SB-N5 and I agree that the SB-N5 is weak on the power side. I thought that the SB-N7 would fix that issue. Just got one tonight. Sending it back tomorrow. How does a flash that is supposed to be better than the SB-N5 not have the ability to bounce when shooting vertical? Just be aware of that fact if you plan on getting one. It really sucks since the 1 series cameras don't take Nikon's other speedlights. We are pretty much stuck unless one doesn't mind losing the vertical shot bounce ability. Seems kind of pointless to me.

-Luke

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60677 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.