Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60659
View in linear mode

Subject: "Book recommendations?" Previous topic | Next topic
limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Fri 25-Jan-13 06:59 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Book recommendations?"

Waynesville, US

Relative newcomer to digital photography (18 mths on D90) and total newcomer to using a flash. Bought in hurry a SB 700 for trip but used it very little with not good results. Review of some of the threads here tells me that it is a foreign language and Nikon user manual is hard for me so, any good books on flash photography out there that assume no prior knowledge? The more basic the better especially if Nikon focussed. Thank you.

Geoff

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Book recommendations?
Chris Platt Silver Member
25th Jan 2013
luckyphoto Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
26th Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
Arkayem Moderator
26th Jan 2013
limeyzen Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
Arkayem Moderator
26th Jan 2013
jim thomas Silver Member
26th Jan 2013

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 25-Jan-13 10:45 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

There are lots of good books out there that discuss advanced flash techniques, but for a clear, solid foundation in the Nikon flash system, fellow Nikonian Russ MacDonald's "Nikon CLS Practical Guide" is the best place to start IMO.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/

Visit my gallery.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 26-Jan-13 02:57 AM
691 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Flash photography is always a little intimidating when you first begin, but learning some basics can take your photography to a whole different level. Nikon's Creative Lighting System is an excellent place to start. Here are some links that will help you get started.

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=154&topic_id=58109&mesg_id=58109&page=

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/ (Russ MacDonald's articles as mentioned above)

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html (Lighting 101)

http://neilvn.com/tangents/flash-photography-essentials/

Those should keep you busy for a few days.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 26-Jan-13 03:50 AM
26302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

That about covers it.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 12:15 PM
291 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 3

Waynesville, US

Thank you all for the links and suggestions. A cursory skim of these tels me that the neilvn link will be the best starting point and then the rest (yes I am that basic in my understanding!). Am rereading Peterson's Understanding Exposure. Thanks again.

Geoff

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 26-Jan-13 01:36 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Thank you all for the links and suggestions. A cursory skim
>of these tels me that the neilvn link will be the best
>starting point and then the rest (yes I am that basic in my
>understanding!). Am rereading Peterson's Understanding
>Exposure. Thanks again.
>
>Geoff

My blog was already listed in one of the previous posts. If you will read it, starting with article 1, I think it will help you.

I try to answer all questions, so don't hesitate to ask. Please post questions here on Nikonians, so everyone can help me answer.

My blog articles: http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

limeyzen Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Aug 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 03:26 PM
#7. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 6

Waynesville, US

Russ, thank you for your follow up. I think I am going to have to have the camera with flash on, the laptop with your blog and the Nikon flash user manual open all at the same tim I am having problems understanding and assimilating the relationships between flash settings and camera settings. Basic I know but .... .

Geoff

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 26-Jan-13 03:40 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Russ, thank you for your follow up. I think I am going to
>have to have the camera with flash on, the laptop with your
>blog and the Nikon flash user manual open all at the same
>tim I am having problems understanding and assimilating
>the relationships between flash settings and camera settings.
>Basic I know but .... .
>
>Geoff

Whoa! You're getting ahead of yourself. You have to learn the very basics of flash first. Then move on to the details.

Put away the Nikon flash manual and read my first blog article very carefully. I think you will start to understand.

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Sat 26-Jan-13 01:26 PM
1268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Book recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

Joe McNally's books are very good.

JDT

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60659 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.