Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60635
View in linear mode

Subject: "New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!" Previous topic | Next topic
laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005Thu 24-Jan-13 04:27 AM
1188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!"

Kinston, NC, US

I was recently given a Speedtron Blackline 2400 w/s power supply, with three light stands, three shoot through umbrellas, three reflecting umbrellas, storage/carrying case and spare bulbs. I have used my three Nikon flashes with Pocket Wizards but this a completely different animal. I have a Sekonic L-758DR flashmeter which should help. What is your favorite lighting book or educational website with will help me explore this system to the fullest. Shoot through vs Reflecting umbrellas? Advantges of Light boxes? Lighting ratios etc. Lots of questions!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Thu 24-Jan-13 09:38 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

Surprised nobody has responded yet. So i'll weigh in with full disclosure that i'm learning lighting as well, so not a guru.

You've put a lot out there. Each is it's own area depending on style, skill, space, and experience using them (ie -practice)!

I spent/spend a ton of time on youtube. Some great how-to's, plus quite a few that are less helpful (to be nice).

Smokingstrobes is one of my favorites. Simple setups - very "Strobist" (usually - he also does more complex setups). Obviously strobist and their whole site is an amazing resource. Usually speedlight oriented - very "grab and go" and "gun on the run".

I seem to learn better visually, so the Studio lighting essentials by Mark wallace was informative. One light was awesome. Strobist lighting in layers has been informative and packed w/ good info.

So many ideas and things to play with - just depends on what you want to do.

So what are you looking to do w/ these lights? Studio stuff, or lighting on the go (remote, street, ??), or something else?

from my limited experience, umbrellas are a great start (both shoot through and bounce). Light boxes typically seem to provide better control of the light (where it does/does not go). Further can be focused via grids, flags, etc.

Ratios are easy to explain (simple math 1:1, 1:4, etc.) Mastery is another thing! Check out the videos on Youtube, or look at some of the online articles (some great ones you can find via google). The above videos also go into detail (what i've seen) that should help.

I've not completely watched all the above, but keep learning every time i get time to watch one! I think of it as tools on my "bat belt" - for use next time i need them. Not one way is correct, and the others are wrong... my opinion so worth what you paid for it! hehehe.

Anyway - i hope the long winded response gives you some areas to look into. Obviously not a guru, but a fellow student of light, learning as i go.

GL!

rob

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 24-Jan-13 11:54 PM
4708 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

The quick answer is the reflecting umbrellas, shoot through umbrellas, soft boxes, and all the other light modifiers out there all provide slightly different light and therefore a different look to the subject.

Resources:

Strobist A wealth of info on this site. See the topic selectors on the right side part way down.

Joe McNally An outstanding pro who uses strobes most of the time and studio lights some of the time. His books and videos are invaluable and inspirational.

Virtual Studio A virtual lighting setup. You place the lights and see the effect.

Ad this is just the tip of the iceberg…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005Fri 25-Jan-13 12:20 AM
1188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!"
In response to Reply # 2

Kinston, NC, US

Thanks guys!

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Fri 25-Jan-13 11:05 PM
3496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New gear now the learning curve on how to use it!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 25-Jan-13 11:07 PM by ZoneV

US

I really like Neil van Niekerk's book on using speedlights. I believe he also has a book on off-camera lighting, and I would definitely look into it and check out his website. He's good with lighting patterns.

Strobist is good for technical advice. I'm not a regular reader, but have read info on the site a few times.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60635 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.