Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60615
View in linear mode

Subject: "Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?" Previous topic | Next topic
output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Tue 22-Jan-13 07:33 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"

US

I feel a bit stupid asking for help here but I can't seem to figure out what's going on with my SB-900 firing remotely.

I'll have my D700 in Commander Mode and the SB-900 in the Remote setting on a stand a few feet away firing rapidly at first. But then it begins to slow down dramatically, taking longer and longer to recycle/recharge. Yes, I've changed batteries but this isn't the source of the slowdown. I've even attached a battery pack with 8 fresh batteries and still experience long recycles (as in 15-30 seconds) between shots once the slowdown begins. When it does recharge I get to fire off only two shots, and only two shots, before it pauses again.

This only occurs when I'm shooting remotely. When the SB-900 is on-camera in the hot shoe I can shoot all day long rapidly--or at least until the flash unit goes in thermal overheat mode.

I can't figure out if this related to some weird battery drain in remote, or maybe the camera card getting full and slowing things down. Very annoying.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?
HBB Moderator
24th Jan 2013
output555 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
HBB Moderator
01st Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
Arkayem Moderator
03rd Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
SweetMK
16th Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
RABaker
16th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
16th Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
SweetMK
17th Feb 2013
output555 Silver Member
17th Feb 2013
MEMcD Moderator
17th Feb 2013
tboccaccio
28th Sep 2013
MEMcD Moderator
01st Oct 2013

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 24-Jan-13 12:44 AM
8462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Michael:

How many shots are fired and at what power level before the slowdown begins? Is the power level in remote mode the same as in the on-camera mode? Are you perhaps running into the thermal overload feature when SB900 is in remote mode? Check the thermometer symbol on the back of the unit when it slows down.

I'm guessing here, but cannot come up with any other logical explanation.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 12:44 PM
318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Michael:
>
>How many shots are fired and at what power level before the
>slowdown begins? Is the power level in remote mode the same
>as in the on-camera mode? Are you perhaps running into the
>thermal overload feature when SB900 is in remote mode? Check
>the thermometer symbol on the back of the unit when it slows
>down.
>
>I'm guessing here, but cannot come up with any other logical
>explanation.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member
>
> Photography is
>a journey with no conceivable destination.

Hi HBB,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

The power level varies and doesn't seem to correspond to the problem. Neither does it seem to be thermal related as no signals go off indicating the SB-900 is overheating. I have a hunch it's related to the built-in pop-up flash overheating and thereby slowing down the recycling. That said, I usually shoot with the power to the pop-up turned off in Commander Mode: "--" so this should mean the flash isn't firing at all. What is most baffling is, when it begins this slowdown phase, it gives me the ability to fire off two, and only two, shots before pausing. It's as if its programmed to do this, rather than the batteries becoming fatigued.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 01-Feb-13 03:51 PM
8462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 2

Phoenix, US

Michael:

With the popup set to OFF (---) in commander mode, it still fires:

1) During the shutter closed preflash sequence that is used to establish power levels for the remote unit(s).

2) A low power pulse while the shutter is open, signaling the remote unit(s) to fire for image capture.

How long does it take for the ready light to come on in the remote speedlight when the slowdown begins?

How long is the pause when the slowdown begins before it resumes operation?

From a cold startup, how many shots can you fire before the slowdown occurs, and over what time interval?

Is it possibly a buffer full issue in the camera? What is the capacity of the storage card you are using, and what is its speed?

Can you test the remote speedlight on another camera? If it works there, this suggests a camera problem of some type.

Can you test another speedlight on your camera? If this works, it suggest a speedlight problem of some type.

Let me know what additional testing reveals.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 04:31 PM
#4. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 01-Feb-13 04:33 PM by output555

US

All good questions HBB,

Yes, I'm aware that even when the pop-up flash is technically turned off, it still puts out a small flash to alert the remote. However, I doubt that is enough to make it pause out, otherwise, others would be complaining about this (especially wedding photographers).

I may not have mentioned it in my original post, but this problem only occurs when the SB-900 is used as a remote. On-camera there isn't an issue. So, that might be an indicattion this is related to the pop-up.

I've swapped out camera cards because the buffer filling up was my first thought, but that made no difference. Fast or slow processing speed, big or small storage capacity, the problem remains the same.

I've not counted the shutter clicks or flashes before the pausing kicks in or the duration of the pauses but will see if there is some consistency. I'll also test to see if it varies between RAW and JPEG shooting.

As for your other questions, I'll do some testing this weekend to see if the problem can be duplicated on another camera and with another flash (I have an SB-700, too) on the D700.

Thanks again,

Michael

>Michael:
>
>With the popup set to OFF (---) in commander mode, it still
>fires:
>
>1) During the shutter closed preflash sequence that is used to
>establish power levels for the remote unit(s).
>
>2) A low power pulse while the shutter is open, signaling the
>remote unit(s) to fire for image capture.
>
>How long does it take for the ready light to come on in the
>remote speedlight when the slowdown begins?
>
>How long is the pause when the slowdown begins before it
>resumes operation?
>
>From a cold startup, how many shots can you fire before the
>slowdown occurs, and over what time interval?
>
>Is it possibly a buffer full issue in the camera? What is the
>capacity of the storage card you are using, and what is its
>speed?
>
>Can you test the remote speedlight on another camera? If it
>works there, this suggests a camera problem of some type.
>
>Can you test another speedlight on your camera? If this
>works, it suggest a speedlight problem of some type.
>
>Let me know what additional testing reveals.
>
>Regards,
>
>HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
>Nikonian Team Member
>
> Photography is
>a journey with no conceivable destination.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 03-Feb-13 02:34 AM
5993 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Here are a few more questions/thoughts:

Are you shooting in bursts? If so, what is D5 set to? That will limit the number of shots in your bursts.

Are you shooting Large TIFF? Those will fill up the buffer in the camera with about 23 shots. Once the buffer is full, even the fastest memory cards will slow you down a lot. Fast cards take up to 10 seconds to write RAW or TIFF images.

What kind of batteries are you using in your flash? Lithium are really slow, and can take up to 30 seconds to cycle the flash. Alkaline are slightly better. If your flash were firing at 1/4th power, you could shoot 4 shots in a burst before the flash would stop you to recycle, and then there would be a long wait with lithium or alkeline. For fast recycle time, use NiMH rechargeables.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sun 03-Feb-13 12:40 PM
#6. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your assistance.

Sometimes I shoot in bursts. Sometimes not. No difference either way. Doubtful that this has anything to do with the camera's buffer filling because the problem only occurs in Commander Mode when the SB-900 is being remotely fired. On-camera I can shoot rapidly with no degradation in recycling speed (other than when the camera buffer and card do become maxed out--but this is a not the same issue as described, and I recognize it as a normal function).

I shoot RAW exclusively but again this isn't effecting the recycling of the flash. It's more of a camera card/buffer relationship, which, as I stated doesn't seem to the root of the problem.

I use NiMh batteries exclusively. All are fresh when when I begin shooting. The problem doesn't seem to be brand-dependent either. I've even used a battery pack (8-NiMH batteries powering the flash) which I was sure would solve the problem but doesn't appear to. This is when I became totally baffled.

>Here are a few more questions/thoughts:
>
>Are you shooting in bursts? If so, what is D5 set to? That
>will limit the number of shots in your bursts.
>
>Are you shooting Large TIFF? Those will fill up the buffer in
>the camera with about 23 shots. Once the buffer is full, even
>the fastest memory cards will slow you down a lot. Fast cards
>take up to 10 seconds to write RAW or TIFF images.
>
>What kind of batteries are you using in your flash? Lithium
>are really slow, and can take up to 30 seconds to cycle the
>flash. Alkaline are slightly better. If your flash were firing
>at 1/4th power, you could shoot 4 shots in a burst before the
>flash would stop you to recycle, and then there would be a
>long wait with lithium or alkeline. For fast recycle time, use
>NiMH rechargeables.

>
>Russ
>Nikonian Moderator
>http://russmacdonaldphotos.com">Russell
>MacDonald Photography
>>"http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com"]Nikon
>CLS Practical Guide

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Fri 15-Feb-13 12:22 PM
#7. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

After trying various configurations (on/off camera firing, using a third-party wireless remote to trigger flash) I think I now have the answer. It's the pop-up flash heating up and then pausing until it cools down. Not sure why this is happening because I have the CLS setting for it at "--" which technically means it's not putting out anything other than a very small signal (almost no heat) used to activate the off-camera SB-900. Since this is the lowest setting possible, it's a very frustrating problem. I also find it odd that the pop-up gets hot in this lowest of settings after only about 40-50 shutter activations, or 5-10 minutes of somewhat continuous use.

Any ideas how I can fix it? I don't think it's a camera defect.

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Sat 16-Feb-13 04:17 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>After trying various configurations (on/off camera firing,
>using a third-party wireless remote to trigger flash) I think
>I now have the answer. It's the pop-up flash heating up and
>then pausing until it cools down. Not sure why this is
>happening because I have the CLS setting for it at
>"--" which technically means it's not putting out
>anything other than a very small signal (almost no heat) used
>to activate the off-camera SB-900. Since this is the lowest
>setting possible, it's a very frustrating problem. I also find
>it odd that the pop-up gets hot in this lowest of settings
>after only about 40-50 shutter activations, or 5-10 minutes of
>somewhat continuous use.
>
>Any ideas how I can fix it? I don't think it's a camera
>defect.

I would expect the flash to overheat @ 5 FPM for 10 minutes.

I have never fired mine that much, but, it sounds like a lot.

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sat 16-Feb-13 10:21 AM
#9. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>I would expect the flash to overheat @ 5 FPM for 10 minutes.
>
>I have never fired mine that much, but, it sounds like a lot.

Really? That's not a lot if you're shooting in a models or kids studio or a situation there's a lot of activity going on (I'll often shoot 3x that amount with the SB-900 attached on-camera). More importantly, remember, the pop-up flash is supposedly firing only a negligible amount.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 05:07 PM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Michael,

Keep in mind that the built in Speedlight is firing several times for each exposure.
The built in Speedlight sends instructions to the Remote Speedlight using pulses of light (flash), so it is not surprising that it is overheating.

An SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, SB-700, or SU-800 in the cameras hotshoe set in Commander mode with the power set to -- should be able to keep you shooting until the remote SB-900 gets hot.

Another option would be to add a Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1 for the Camera and a Flex-TT5 for your remote SB-900.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sat 16-Feb-13 07:52 PM
#11. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 16-Feb-13 07:53 PM by output555

US

Thanks Marty.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the pop-up flash is set to "--" (no flash) it actually is emitting almost no flash (a negligible amount, at most). What triggers the remote Speedlight is an RF or infrared signal. Evidence of this is if you block the pop-up flash with a black card, the remote flash will still trigger. Similar, put the Speedlight behind the pop-up where there is no flash to trigger it, and it still goes off (up to a point, depending on distance).

So, again, it would seem very poor engineering for Nikon to have the pop-up in no flash mode, yet still overheat in relatively short time.

I'm familiar wit Pocket Wizards and in fact have the Pixel TR-331, but none of the third-party brands offer the convenience and true CLS control of the built-in Commande Mode.

>Hi Michael,
>
>Keep in mind that the built in Speedlight is firing several
>times for each exposure.
>The built in Speedlight sends instructions to the Remote
>Speedlight using pulses of light (flash), so it is not
>surprising that it is overheating.
>
>An SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, SB-700, or SU-800 in the cameras
>hotshoe set in Commander mode with the power set to -- should
>be able to keep you shooting until the remote SB-900 gets
>hot.
>
>Another option would be to add a Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1 for
>the Camera and a Flex-TT5 for your remote SB-900.
>
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

RABaker Registered since 01st Oct 2003Sat 16-Feb-13 09:04 PM
731 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 11

Sunnyvale, US

"Correct me if I'm wrong but when the pop-up flash is set to "--" (no flash) it actually is emitting almost no flash (a negligible amount, at most). What triggers the remote Speedlight is an RF or infrared signal."

There is no RF, the remote flash is triggered by the IR portion of light emitted by the on-board flash. The remote flash can be triggered even when you cover the on-board flash by a black card only because some of the light is escaping and reflecting off nearby surfaces to reach the remote flash. Hence the very limited, and often unreliable, range under these conditions. Although when set to "--" in commander mode the on-board flash is using a relatively low power, it is still using power and generating a little heat with each pop. Because the flash is raised on rails, there is very little mass to act as a heat sink. For these reasons the on-board flash can reach a thermal condition where it must cool down much sooner than a large flash.

Good luck,
Richard

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 11:59 PM
25891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 11

US

Hi Michael,

>Correct me if I'm wrong but when the pop-up flash is set to
>"--" (no flash) it actually is emitting almost no
>flash (a negligible amount, at most).

Yes, The Speedlight will fire at very low power when it is set to "--" though as I stated above, the flash fires multiple times before the shutter opens and then the triggering flash fires at very low power.

>What triggers the remote Speedlight is an RF or infrared signal.

Not true!
While the Nikon Wireless CLS does use IR InfraRed light pulses (SU-800) and the IR portion of the White light from the built in Speedlight, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, and/or SB-910 to transmit instructions to the remote Speedlight the pre-flash sequence uses more than a negledgable amount of power. Remember that the built-in Speedlight is not very powerful to begin with.
The Nikon Wireless CLS does not use RF (Radio Frequency) signals.

>Evidence of this is if
>you block the pop-up flash with a black card, the remote flash
>will still trigger. Similar, put the Speedlight behind the
>pop-up where there is no flash to trigger it, and it still
>goes off (up to a point, depending on distance).

This proves nothing.
Light waves bounce off of walls, floors, ceilings, funature and other objects. As long as the sensor on the side of the remote can detect the signal, it will fire.

>So, again, it would seem very poor engineering for Nikon to
>have the pop-up in no flash mode, yet still overheat in
>relatively short time.

The built-in Speedlight was never designed to be used continuously for long periods of time.

>I'm familiar wit Pocket Wizards and in fact have the Pixel
>TR-331, but none of the third-party brands offer the
>convenience and true CLS control of the built-in Commande
>Mode.

We all have our own preferances.

Personally I almost never use the built-in Speedlight on any of my cameras that have them. I find the SU-800, SB-800, and SB-900 and even the PW AC3 Zone Controller very easy to use and because they include the ability to control a third remote group of Speedlights they are significantly more capable than the built-in Speedlight.

Best Regards,
Marty

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sun 17-Feb-13 03:46 AM
#14. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun 17-Feb-13 03:50 AM by output555

US

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

I stand by my opinion that the functionality of the pop-up in its "non-flash" setting is very limiting and falls short of what it should be doing as part of a well-engineered CLS. I do not consider the firing of it in non-flash mode at a rate of approximately 5-10 activations a minute for 5-10 minutes (before overheating) "continuous for a long period of time." With my SB-900 on camera I take 5-10x that many actual flashes (as opposed to negligible bursts of light) in a 5 minutes period.

Most professionals depend upon a system that can stand up to demanding conditions.
So, for me the CLS is strictly a novelty that sounds good on paper but is more of a hinderance than a help when shooting rigorously. Asking a model to hold a pose for 30 seconds while the pop-up cools down is embarrassing. Should I ask the bride and groom to stand still instead walking down the aisle while my pop-up cools down? Not a chance.

As much as I like CLS, it's now only going to be used for casual purposes where I'm under no pressure to get a bunch of shots in a short span of time. Instead, I'll have to learn to live with the Pixel TR-331, which like the Pocket Wizards, doesn't allow in-camera flash adjustments. Oh well, life is not perfect, nor is Nikon...

SweetMK Registered since 22nd Jan 2013Sun 17-Feb-13 04:07 AM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

>Thanks for the reply and clarification.
>
>I stand by my opinion that the functionality of the pop-up in
>its "non-flash" setting is very limiting and falls
>short of what it should be doing as part of a well-engineered
>CLS. I do not consider the firing of it in non-flash mode at a
>rate of approximately 5-10 activations a minute for 5-10
>minutes (before overheating) "continuous for a long
>period of time." With my SB-900 on camera I take 5-10x
>that many actual flashes (as opposed to negligible bursts of
>light) in a 5 minutes period.
>
>Most professionals depend upon a system that can stand up to
>demanding conditions.
>So, for me the CLS is strictly a novelty that sounds good on
>paper but is more of a hinderance than a help when shooting
>rigorously. Asking a model to hold a pose for 30 seconds while
>the pop-up cools down is embarrassing. Should I ask the bride
>and groom to stand still instead walking down the aisle while
>my pop-up cools down? Not a chance.
>
>As much as I like CLS, it's now only going to be used for
>casual purposes where I'm under no pressure to get a bunch of
>shots in a short span of time. Instead, I'll have to learn to
>live with the Pixel TR-331, which like the Pocket Wizards,
>doesn't allow in-camera flash adjustments. Oh well, life is
>not perfect, nor is Nikon...
>
>

I think you have run into the reason the SB-910 and SB-700 can be used as the commander, more flash cycles.

Just because Nikon was nice enough to allow the on board flash to operate as the CLS commander on a limited basis is no reason to criticize the entire system.

I consider the on-board flash kind of like the little spare in my Honda Accord, I ain't crossing the country with either one of them!! BUT it will do for minimum use.

output555 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2008Sun 17-Feb-13 04:58 AM
#16. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 17-Feb-13 04:59 AM by output555

US

"Nice enough...?" Well, I guess. I see it more like your analogy to the spare tire--except I remember when you used to be able to drive cross-country with a full-sized spare tire before the car companies got "less nice."

>Just because Nikon was nice enough to allow the on board flash
>to operate as the CLS commander on a limited basis is no
>reason to criticize the entire system.
>
>I consider the on-board flash kind of like the little spare in
>my Honda Accord, I ain't crossing the country with either one
>of them!! BUT it will do for minimum use.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 17-Feb-13 07:18 PM
#17. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 17-Feb-13 07:28 PM by MEMcD

US

Hi Michael,

>I stand by my opinion that the functionality of the pop-up in
>its "non-flash" setting is very limiting and falls
>short of what it should be doing as part of a well-engineered
>CLS. I do not consider the firing of it in non-flash mode at a
>rate of approximately 5-10 activations a minute for 5-10
>minutes (before overheating) "continuous for a long
>period of time." With my SB-900 on camera I take 5-10x
>that many actual flashes (as opposed to negligible bursts of
>light) in a 5 minutes period.

As I stated above, We are all entitled to our own opinion.

>Most professionals depend upon a system that can stand up to
>demanding conditions.

As a Semi Pro that shoots a wide range of subjects including events and weddings, I never use the built-in Speedlight when I am being paid.
In fact none of the Pro bodies F_ series or D_ series have built-in Speedlights.
Though I often use D_ series bodies together with D_00 series bodies. I never use the built in Speedlight.

>So, for me the CLS is strictly a novelty that sounds good on
>paper but is more of a hinderance than a help when shooting
>rigorously. Asking a model to hold a pose for 30 seconds while
>the pop-up cools down is embarrassing. Should I ask the bride
>and groom to stand still instead walking down the aisle while
>my pop-up cools down? Not a chance.

That is the reason that most Pro's and Semi-Pro's have multiple Speedlights, bodies, and lenses.
When the SB-900 was introduced there were many complaints about the new thermal shut down feature. They forgot that the SB-900 recycles faster with 4 batteries than the SB-800 recycles with 5 batteries. While the SB-800 doesn't have a thermal shut down feature it still has a "Duty Cycle" (maximum number of flashes per unit time) that should not be exceeded.
The reason:
When I was shooting film, I used Metz 60 CT-4's and 70 MZ- 5's because they have more power and higher duty cycles than Speedlights.
When I used my SB-800's with Quantum Turbo batteries, I would switch them out when they got hot allowing them to cool down before switching back.
I have seen SB-800's with Quantum Turbo batteries pushed to the point of melting the case therebye destroying the Speedlight. Fortunately it never happened to me.

When I shoot in the studio, and sometimes on location, I use strobes since they provide significantly more power with a much higher Duty Cycle.
When I will be shooting fast and hard, I use my Quantum Q-flashes with Turbo 2x2 and Turbo 3 battery packs that can be fired every 1 - 1.5 sec. All day long without overheating or shutting down. Again each system has a designed Duty Cycle so you must use the correct tool for the job.

>As much as I like CLS, it's now only going to be used for
>casual purposes where I'm under no pressure to get a bunch of
>shots in a short span of time. Instead, I'll have to learn to
>live with the Pixel TR-331, which like the Pocket Wizards,
>doesn't allow in-camera flash adjustments. Oh well, life is
>not perfect, nor is Nikon...

Adding a Speedlight (SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800) in Commander mode to the hotshoe should allow you to shoot until the SB-900 reaches thermal shut down.

The PW system combined with an AC-3 or a Speedlight in the hotshoe of the on-camera transmitter will provide complete adjustment of up to three remote groups of Speedlights or even strobes.

Best Regards,
Marty

tboccaccio Registered since 28th Sep 2013Sat 28-Sep-13 11:44 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm having the same problem; the SB900 recycles slow if it's in remote mode. And I get very few shots before the batteries die. ON camera, this doesn't happen. I used the pop up flash, too...and this may be the problem. I'm going to put an SB800 or SB26 ON camera and use it in commander mode to see if this remote slowdown is solved. This post REALLY helped me to understand the problem. And I wasn't using multiple flashes. I shot one shot every 5-7 minutes (while the model wiped off the 2 gallons of milk we poured on him!) yet it still was slow to recycle (9seconds) and sometimes would not fire. I used an SB900 as the main front flash and two SB800's for the rear rim light flashes. In REMOTE mode, the flashes would go to sleep in 40 seconds and had to be manually "woke up". I couldn't wake them up from the camera. Any ideas here?

I understand why Nikon designed the sleep mode in REMOTE to be 40 seconds. (You can change that to NEVER in MASTER mode) but we should have the option of setting the sleep mode to whatever we want EVEN IN REMOTE MODE.

THANKS FOR THE GREAT POST!

TonyB

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 01-Oct-13 01:21 PM
#19. "RE: Slow Recycling with SB-900 Commander Mode?"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Glad to have you with us.

>I'm going to put an
>SB800 or SB26 ON camera and use it in commander mode to see if
>this remote slowdown is solved.

The SB-26 is not i-TTL compatible and will not work as a Speedlight Commander. It will only work if you set the SB-26 in Manual flash mode and All of your Remote Speedlights in SU-4 (Optical Slave) mode.

>This post REALLY helped me to
>understand the problem. And I wasn't using multiple flashes.
>I shot one shot every 5-7 minutes (while the model wiped off
>the 2 gallons of milk we poured on him!) yet it still was slow
>to recycle (9seconds) and sometimes would not fire. I used an
>SB900 as the main front flash and two SB800's for the rear rim
>light flashes. In REMOTE mode, the flashes would go to sleep
>in 40 seconds and had to be manually "woke up". I
>couldn't wake them up from the camera. Any ideas here?
>I understand why Nikon designed the sleep mode in REMOTE to be
>40 seconds. (You can change that to NEVER in MASTER mode) but
>we should have the option of setting the sleep mode to
>whatever we want EVEN IN REMOTE MODE.

In Remote mode, the "Stand-By" function is disabled.
Weak batteries will cause the SB-800 to go into stand by mode regardless of settings.
Did you have fresh batteries in your remote SB-800's?
Check each cell.

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60615 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.