nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60573
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon SB-28 with SB-910" Previous topic | Next topic
MattF Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 07:25 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SB-28 with SB-910"

San Diego, US

Hello everybody. This is my first post on nikonians, so I look forward to interacting with everyone.

I have an SB-28 with the hot shoe (for my D7000 and the speedlight) along with the PC cable.

I just invested in an SB-910, so i'm trying to figure out if i can use both with some sort of pop up flash command on the camera for the SB-910 along with a wired connection to the SB-28 as a second flash.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MattF Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2012Fri 18-Jan-13 09:52 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon SB-28 with SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

San Diego, US

After checking out the search function on here, I might have found my answer.

It sounds like I can use the SB-28 on-cable with the hot shoes, and use the SB-910 in SU-4 mode, making the SB-910 slave to the SB-28. (ie it will fire whenever it sees the flash from the SB-28)

Is this correct? I'm at work so i can't test it out.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 18-Jan-13 10:44 PM
27003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SB-28 with SB-910"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Matt,

Yes!
It will work.
Keep in mind that the SB-28 must be in Non-TTL Auto flash mode or Manual flash mode. For the most consistant results, I would recommend setting the camera in Manual exposure mode and have the ISO set in Manual as well.

If you get a Nikon SU-4 slave to mount the SB-28 in you will be able to use both the SB-28 in the SU-4 and the SB-910 in SU-4 mode as remotes triggered by the built in Speedlight (assuming your camera body has one) set in Manual flash mode.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 05:28 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon SB-28 with SB-910"
In response to Reply # 2

Hope, US

Hi Matt,

I do it differently. Trigger the SB 910 off camera using the on-camera flash in commander mode, manual flash power, trigger the sb 28 using something like this optical unit which plugs into the SB -28

http://www.flashzebra.com/products/0272/index.shtml

Flash zebra may have an optical trigger that works with the CLS pre-flash. If that is possible, use CLS to trigger the sd 910. The sb -28 still needs to be set on manual, and its power is set on the flash.

Don

Don Boys
Hope, MI

jb335 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2011Wed 20-Feb-13 05:28 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon SB-28 with SB-910"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Hi Matt,

I do something similar to Don.

To trigger my SB-28 I use the Metz Mecalux 11 Auto Hot shoe. The device has a PC connection and the hot shoe rotates allowing great flexibility in where you point the flash itself.

Jim

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60573 Previous topic | Next topic