Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60545
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for an inexpensive Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
muncle56 Registered since 01st Dec 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 03:09 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Looking for an inexpensive Flash"

US

Looking for an inexpensive flash that I can use on my d40X I want i-TTL capability. Is the Yongnuo brand any good? Is their YN-467 compatible with the d40X?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash
blw Moderator
15th Jan 2013
muncle56
16th Jan 2013
mkbee1 Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
NenBikonian
16th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
16th Jan 2013
sl33py Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
sl33py Silver Member
16th Jan 2013
sl33py Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
waxart
16th Jan 2013

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 11:01 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I personally don't recommend Yongnuo. Consider the Sigma EF-610 DG (not the Super), or the Nissin Di-466, both of which are iTTL and compatible with the D40x. They're less than half of the price of a Nikon SB-700.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

muncle56 Registered since 01st Dec 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 03:04 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My budget is up to about $150. I don't need anything fancy. You've had no problems buying used flash units?

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Wed 16-Jan-13 03:26 AM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 3

West Valley, US

You might take a look at Sunpak products, or the newer Vivitar flashes.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 16-Jan-13 05:47 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 3

Roswell, US

Look for a used SB600 or SB700 at www.KEH.com or in the "I want to Sell" forum here on Nikonians. You should be able to find a good, used SB600 around $150. I think that's your best solution, assuming you get one in good or excellent shape (KEH, by the way, very conservatively rates their products so a rating of EX or EX+ is very nearly like new. I bought a used, BGN qualilty SB-26 from them many years ago and was surprised by just how clean it was and how close to a new product it seemed to work).

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 16-Jan-13 05:55 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 17-Jan-13 09:56 AM by blw

Richmond, US

> I don't need anything fancy. You've had no problems buying used flash units?

No, no problems. I have three SB-600s, one bought new, two bought used from KEH. I guess I can go back to my receipts and figure out which one came new and which came from KEH, but the point is that I certainly cannot tell by looking at them or using them.

Flash units tend to be binary: they work, or they don't. They don't "kind of" break. Lots of us still have flash units working perfectly from decades past. For example, I have a perfectly fine SB-20 from 1983 and an even old SB-11 "Hammerhead" which I believe dates from 1979.

I personally use both Nikon and Sigma flash units and none of them have given me any trouble.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 08:17 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 6

US

definitely agree! 0 or 1.

I have a couple really old non-Nikon's i've picked up here and there as well. pop in a set of batts and they fire!

One thing on the 600 I forgot to mention. It works with CLS triggering, but i don't believe it has an optical slave trigger... there was a SU-4 module you could add on for that feature (hotshoe). In case you want to do off camera flash later and use optical triggering.

And it doesn't act as a commander to control other speedlights via CLS. But down the road you can control it via CLS!

Another inexpensive option (i think the hotshoe SU-4 trigger was a bit spendy) is a set of radio triggers. Cheapo china ones should work for you to start, or you can look at PW if you want to invest a bit.

GL!

rob

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 07:58 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 3

US

absolutely no issue. again i don't think a single speedlight is new... all 3 (4 if i count GF's 600) are working great and came to me used from Nikonians or CL.

Check them out first and if not beat to hell... It's pretty amazing the deal you can get sometimes!

I wonder how the SB-600 compares to one of the Nissin or Sunpaks?

GL and let us know what you get!

Rob

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Tue 15-Jan-13 09:34 PM
#2. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

what does inexpensive = for you? What's your budget?

I personally have really enjoyed the flexibility Nikon's CLS has provided me. I've also purchased most of my Nikon speedlights online and used. (craigslist and nikonians both are great). Now have a 910, 2x800's, and a 600.

I picked up the used SB-600 so i could recover my permanently "borrowed" SB-800 from my GF. I think i paid 160 in almost new condition...

But that may not be inexpensive to you, especially compared to the price of the Yongnuo flashes.

waxart Registered since 16th Jan 2008Wed 16-Jan-13 06:10 PM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Looking for an inexpensive Flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Vallejo, US

I have an SB600 in excellent condition which I am willing to sell for $150 + shipping. Contact me at waxart@sbcglobal.net if interested.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60545 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.