Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60529
View in linear mode

Subject: "After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
vr_nguyen Registered since 12th Jan 2013Mon 14-Jan-13 03:05 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"

CA

So I'm a total noob when it comes to flash photography. I am looking for speedlight that will not break the bank and enough for me to grow into. What do you guys think about the Yongnuo YN-560 II? Should it get this or SB-400? I am using the D5100 and will be taking mainly portraits.

Would I need a wireless shutter release control (see link below)?

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Trigger-Shutter-Transceiver/dp/B004YW79F4/ref=pd_sim_p_5

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight
smkunder Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator
14th Jan 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
15th Jan 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
blw Moderator
15th Jan 2013
Toby01 Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
vr_nguyen
16th Jan 2013

smkunder Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Aug 2008Mon 14-Jan-13 01:01 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Highland, US

I have that flash, it is a completely manual flash. I use it only for my off camera strobist work. If you work in all manual it is fine, but if you want to use the ITTL features, I would get the Nikon flash.

Looking to learn as much as possible

Steve

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 02:00 PM
26184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Van,

It depends on how comfortable you are using Manual flash mode and Manual exposure mode.
Since the Yongnuo yn-560 II appears to be a Manual flash unit.
For portraits, I very rarely use a wired or wireless shutter release.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 14-Jan-13 02:19 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 14-Jan-13 08:30 PM by Chris Platt

Newburg, US

Strobist has a definite preference for manual flash photography. Nothing wrong with that, but some level of automation in the system makes flash photography much more enjoyable and tortures your subjects (family and friends) a little less while you are trying to figure out how to set your flash and camera.

My recommendation is that you at least consider a flash with an auto-thyristor circuit so the flash can control output within a given range based on your camera settings. That actually works quite well. The Vivitar 285 fits in that category and is a favorite on strobist.

There are other third party dedicated flash units that are compatible with the Nikon CLS system including the Yongnuo 568ex, and they've just released another 500ex. You will spend about $100 more, but you will be glad you did.

Recommend, besides Strobist, you read one of Joe McNally's books before you decide what sort of flash system you want to invest in. It my change your cost vs feature evaluations.

Visit my gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59 AM
26751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Yongnuo has a very mixed reputation. Some of their models have turned out to be great values - and most of the others have turned out to be junk. I frankly do not remember which the 650 II is. If you're after inexpensive flashes, try Nissin or especially Sigma.

Since you're new to flash, you almost certainly want one that supports iTTL through-the-lens auto flash exposure, and the 650 is not one of those. The Nissin and Sigma units are.

Personally I do not think much of the SB-400 either, particularly for portraits. Portraits demand pretty good control of the light, which means either bounce flash or some sort of modifier such as a diffuser or softbox. I'd look for one that has a head that rotates in two axes (up/down and circular), such as the Nikon SB-700, Sigma EF-610 DG (the 610 DG Super costs a fair bit more; the difference is that it is usable as either a commander or remote in multiple flash setups), or most of the Nissin setups. The problems with the SB-400 are that it doesn't rotate in two axes (only one, up/down), and that it does not have a huge amount of power, so it cannot easily do most bounce flash nor can it shoot through as many modifiers such as softboxes or diffusers.

The Nissin and Sigma units (I am more familiar with Nikon and Sigma flashes, personally) demonstrate that you don't need to spend SB-700 money to get good flash. The Nissin Di-466 is about $140 and the Sigma EF-610 DG is about $160.

You don't need wireless triggers unless you're going to do multiple flash setups, and even then only if you're in conditions under which you need to do this and infared signals won't work. Mostly the latter means outdoors and either at a considerable distance or in daylight.

On the other hand, if you are considering multiple flash setups, you need significantly more capable (and expensive) flash units. In the Nikon line you'd need at least an SB-700, or a Sigma EF-610 DG Super (the Super is the relevant bit here), or the Nissin Di-622. Those all cost $225 or so, except the Nikon at $325.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 04:46 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 4

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Brian.

Are you aware of any flashes less expensive than the SB700 that have swivel heads that go 180 degrees in both directions? Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 15-Jan-13 10:44 PM
26751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#6. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond, US

My *impression* is that the Sigma goes 180 degrees in both directions, but I don't have one to try it. I'm pretty sure that the previous EF-530 DG Super did not - it was like the SB-600 in that it would go 180 in one direction but only 90 in the other. But I think I've been told that the EF-610 does go 180 degrees in both directions.

I have no idea about the Nissins.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 6

El Sobrante, US

Hi, Brian.

I had checked on the Sigma 610 DG Super on the SIGMA web site, where the specs list 180 one way and 90 the other. So that one is out. The various Metz flashes don't seem to go 180 both ways either. I think one of the went 180 and 120, but that is the closest I have found.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

vr_nguyen Registered since 12th Jan 2013Wed 16-Jan-13 06:43 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: After market Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 7

CA

Thank you everyone for your input. It looks like I will have to do a lot more reading before I make any purchases.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60529 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.