nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60527
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-600 Battery leak" Previous topic | Next topic
philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004Sun 13-Jan-13 10:56 PM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"SB-600 Battery leak"

USA, US

The batteries in my SB-600 leaked and have corroded the terminals. I cleaned everything out as well as I could, and have scraped the terminals clean. Now the flash will only power up intermittently, maybe about 25% of the time.

Any suggestions on how to repair the terminals? I would prefer not to send the Speedlight to Nikon for repair, because they will likely charge more than the flash is worth.

Thanks

--Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-600 Battery leak
philm35
14th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
14th Jan 2013
MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas
14th Jan 2013
cliddell Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
14th Jan 2013
philm35
14th Jan 2013

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004Mon 14-Jan-13 12:22 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 0

USA, US

Answer to my own question:

I found this advice on another site: Clean the terminals with white vinegar. 5 minutes later, the Speedlight is working again!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 05:45 AM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Phil,

I have always used 50% white vinigar 50% water and Q-Tips.
After cleaning the corrosion, make sure you throughly rinse the vinigar off with 100% water and Q-Tips. Then allow it to completely air dry.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 14-Jan-13 05:48 AM
26977 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Phil,

I have always used 50% white vinigar 50% water mix and Q-Tips.
After cleaning the corrosion, make sure you throughly rinse the vinigar off with 100% water and Q-Tips. Then allow it to completely air dry.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Mon 14-Jan-13 09:02 AM
1003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 3

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

Following advice on this Forum to always remove batteries from Speedlights after use helps to avoid this kind of damage.

Also, it gives one an opportunity to examine each cell to check for impending leaks.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberMon 14-Jan-13 04:18 PM
8519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Phil:

On my night shoots with law enforcement agencies, I load the batteries into twelve SB800s and thirteen Pocket Wizards prior to departing, and always unload them when returning home, next morning at the latest. Yes, it is a time consuming chore, but I have never had a battery leak in my photographic equipment.

You never know when a battery will leak. Some people leave batteries in their units for months with no problems, while others are hit with leakers in much less time.

Additional battery protocol:

1) Always use the same kind of batteries in a unit. Do not mix rechargeables, alkaline, lithium, etc.

2) Always use the same brand of batteries in a unit. Do not mix Duracell, Energizer, etc.

3) Do not mix new batteries with partially drained units. Change all batteries in a unit when recycle times become too long.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

philm35 Registered since 25th Jan 2004Mon 14-Jan-13 08:15 PM
#6. "RE: SB-600 Battery leak"
In response to Reply # 5

USA, US

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes, I have learned my lesson... I will not store batteries in the Speedlight (or any of my other electronic devices). I was asking for trouble, because I use my Speedlight very infrequently. I'm glad the vinegar trick worked... Really didn't want to send it to Nikon for repairs.

--Phil

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60527 Previous topic | Next topic