nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60497
View in linear mode

Subject: "Quick help needed flash for small groups" Previous topic | Next topic
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 11:36 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Quick help needed flash for small groups"

UK

Hi folks. I've just been asked to take some pictures this weekend of a small family group ( two adults, 2 children ) in their own home. There is a reason why these need to be done this weekend and are particularly important to this family which I won't go into here. Suffice to say I want to make sure I do the very best I can for them.

I have D700 with 2 SB910s, a lastolite brolly and another 8in 1 brolly with pseudo softbox type cover which gives a reasonably diffuse light for one, but I've never tried for more people.

I feel reasonably confident of getting good shots of individuals but I'd appreciate some advice for shots in their home of the 4 of them. Ideally I'd like to take various styles but to have interesting lighting with some contrasty shadowy and some less so. I really just want to avoid the awful bright flat flashy look.

The main issue is how do I best use my gear to get the effects I want in the confines of a normal sized house?

I'd be really really grateful for any quick help you folks can give me here.

Thanks so much

Wooster

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 10-Jan-13 01:51 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Quick help needed flash for small groups"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

Just a few quick thoughts

If the walls are white bounce the flash off the wall behind you and/or above you.

If they have large enough windows or a patio door. Try to get a few shoots with the natural lighting from these sources. it's very pretty light, plus you can always use your brolly for fill light.

If you only have the one Lastolite Brolly, I assume it's a good sized one and the walls are not white then this will become your main light, I personally have never seen an 8in brolly I guess in a pinch it could be used for fill.

Also remember to take at least 3 shots of each pose at the same light settings. People blink, kids move and make faces. if you have more then one pick you can combine images to get nice family portraits.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Thu 10-Jan-13 02:01 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Quick help needed flash for small groups"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Hi Monica and thanks for your quick tips. I appreciate your reply.

I am really keen to shape the light to create shadows and texture in the photographs, and although I've used flash a fair bit outside and in large reception rooms/churches etc I've never used it in a smaller house much before.

The Lastolite brolly isn't 8 inches in size, in fact it is an '8 in 1" umbrella ( ie has 8 ways of using it ) here's a link:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lastolite-Umbrella-100cm-Kit-4538F/dp/B00AFV3J7K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357826238&sr=8-4

Sorry for the confusion. 8" would be bit smaller than Id use My typo didn't make that clear

Thanks again

Wooster

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60497 Previous topic | Next topic