Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60484
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 26 speedlight compatibility" Previous topic | Next topic
ammonite Registered since 23rd Oct 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 07:13 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 26 speedlight compatibility"

US

Good Day Everyone. I would like to know if the SB 26 strobe is compatible with the D800, D700 and D300 camera bodies.Thanks...Bob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 08-Jan-13 08:11 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

Welcome to Nikonians!

Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: You can use the SB26 in Manual Flash or Auto Flash modes only; no TTL. The film TTL system that the SB26 has is not compatible with the I-TTL system of the D300, D700 or D800 you mention in your post.

So you can mount it, you can use it, you can some pretty good results with it in Auto Flash or Manual, but unlike the SB700, SB800, SB900 and SB910, your not going to get easy balanced fill shots.

When I used my SB28 on my D700 in fill flash mode, I set the Manual Flash with -1.7EV as a starting point and it was usually pretty good.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

ammonite Registered since 23rd Oct 2012Tue 08-Jan-13 08:23 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Anthony...Bob

Dallaspilot Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2010Wed 09-Jan-13 12:23 PM
222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility"
In response to Reply # 0

Plano, US

After I bought a D700, I found my SB-26s to be lacking, so I got a single SB-910 and have used the SB-26s for secondary and background lighting in slave mode. They are still useful in this role and are worth more to me for occasional use than whatever I would get on ebay.
It would be better, though, to have all speedlights wirelessly controllable by the the D700 in command mode.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 09-Jan-13 08:51 PM
18153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB 26 speedlight compatibility"
In response to Reply # 3

Rancho Cordova, US

I got a single SB-910 and have used the SB-26s for secondary and background lighting in slave mode. They are still useful in this role and are worth more to me for occasional use than whatever I would get on ebay.
It would be better, though, to have all speedlights wirelessly controllable by the the D700 in command mode.

Agreed. And I plan on using my SB28 and SU-4 module in this capacity at some point. I also have the SC19 so I can connect my two SB28 speedlights together and have them work together...at least as far as the cord will reach. Not ideal but I think it can work.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60484 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.