Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60443
View in linear mode

Subject: "Surprising Results: SB-50DX on a D200" Previous topic | Next topic
photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Thu 03-Jan-13 03:34 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Surprising Results: SB-50DX on a D200"

Sidney, US

I have a SB 50 from my film camera days and finally tried it over the holidays on my D200. I had camera set for aperture priority and flash for manual mode; it really produced some great results. I bounced the flash off the ceiling and followed the guide number equation to set the exposure. Old stuff still works and fine for the occasional times I need a flash.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 05-Jan-13 02:54 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Surprising Results: SB-50DX on a D200"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Yes, as long as you don't need TTL, all the old Nikon speedlights sync and work perfectly on a modern DSLR.

However, if you want the flash to be primary, use your camera in Manual mode and set it to underexpose the ambient by 2 to 3 stops. If you use camera A mode, you will allow a lot of ambient into your image, which is fine as long as the ambient matches the flash color. If it doesn't match, you could have ugly results.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

photphil Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Aug 2004Sat 05-Jan-13 08:56 PM
633 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Surprising Results: SB-50DX on a D200"
In response to Reply # 1

Sidney, US

Thanks for the comments, Russ. I didn't think about that with aperture priority but it makes sense. I'll keep a reminder with my flash for the rare times I use it.

Phil

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60443 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.