Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60438
View in linear mode

Subject: "off camera flashes" Previous topic | Next topic
swatty Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 10:12 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"off camera flashes"

Paringa, AU

Hi guys, am a newbie regards flashes. Am completely lost at present and desperately need help. Have a d3s and a sb900 and sb700. For the life of me I can not work out what I have to do to have both flashes working together off camera. I have been able to wire the sb900 to the d3s and use solo. Can not get the sb 700 to fire. Obviously my settings are wrong and I have searched the net for answers but can not find a simple answer.
I managed to set up both flashes tonite to fire. When I manually fire the 900, it flashes and then there is a second delay before the 700 fires by itself. Please help if you can. I am really struggling.

many thanks
Swatty

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 11:55 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: off camera flashes"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Jan-13 11:56 AM by luckyphoto

Port Charlotte, US

You should start with this -

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Then look at the first "sticky" post in this forum -

"The Nikon Creative Lighting System".

There is also a good video on Nikon's Creative Lighting System by Joe McNally -

"A Hands-On Guide to Creative Lighting"

You can use the Nikon CLS to easily control both flashes off camera, but you'll waste a lot of time trying to get a proper exposure if you don't understand some of the basics.

Good luck.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Jan-13 02:20 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: off camera flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Nikon's manuals are not very clear nor do they have good examples. Look at Fast Track to Wireless Speedlights for a cleared illustrated guide for setting up cameras and Speedlights in the CLS mode. It covers both the SB-900 and SB-700. The D3s is not covered as the camera does not have in-camera flash control.

Exactly how are your Speedlights setup?

Are you trying to use CLS, Creative Lighting System, AWS, Advance Wireless System, or just a dumb remote, SU4?

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 05-Jan-13 03:09 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: off camera flashes"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi guys, am a newbie regards flashes. Am completely lost at
>present and desperately need help. Have a d3s and a sb900 and
>sb700. For the life of me I can not work out what I have to do
>to have both flashes working together off camera. I have been
>able to wire the sb900 to the d3s and use solo. Can not get
>the sb 700 to fire. Obviously my settings are wrong and I have
>searched the net for answers but can not find a simple
>answer.
>I managed to set up both flashes tonite to fire. When I
>manually fire the 900, it flashes and then there is a second
>delay before the 700 fires by itself. Please help if you can.
>I am really struggling.
>
>many thanks
>Swatty

First, the D3s does not have a built-in Commander, so there is no way to fire both flashes off-camera wirelessly. You have to manually and use a PC cord to fire the SB-900 in Manual mode. Then, it will fire the SB700 in SU-4 mode as an optical slave. Of course this is an all-manual setup where you have to set the power you want on the back of each flash.

If you want to use Nikon's wonderful Advanced Wireless CLS, you have to mount one of the two flashes on the D3s hot shoe and set it in commander mode. Then, set the other flash in Remote mode. Make sure to set the Commander and the Remote in the same channel.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 05-Jan-13 03:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: off camera flashes"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

If you wanted another Nikon accessory, you could add an SU-800to you kit.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60438 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.