Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60414
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?" Previous topic | Next topic
BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Sun 30-Dec-12 08:23 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"

US

The older SB22 flash is said to not work with the PW flex / mini system. But I wonder if this simply means they will not work in iTTL mode. When using an AC3 controller with the flex TT5, will the SB22 be 1) firing and 2) responding in manual mode to the power fractions of the AC3? In other words will it fire at half or quarter power if that is what the AC3 is set for?

Thank you.

Bo.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 control...
MEMcD Moderator
30th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
BoStruye Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
BoStruye Silver Member
31st Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Jan 2013
BoStruye Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Zoomer911 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 30-Dec-12 11:02 AM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Bo,

>The older SB22 flash is said to not work with the PW flex /
>mini system. But I wonder if this simply means they will not
>work in iTTL mode. When using an AC3 controller with the flex
>TT5, will the SB22 be 1) firing and 2) responding in manual
>mode to the power fractions of the AC3?

No. The SB-22 is not compatible with the Nikon Creative Lighting System. The SB-22 uses the Film TTL flash control system that is not compatible with DSLR's or Speedlights that are CLS i-TTL flash control compatible because they are two completely different systems.

>In other words will it fire at half or quarter power if that is
>what the AC3 is set for?

No.
The SB-22 will only work when it is set to Non-TTL Auto or Manual flash mode. If I remember correctly when the SB-22 is set in Manual flash mode it will only fire at full power.

To take full advantage of the PW Control TL system with the AC3 zone controller you will have to use a Nikon SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, or SB-910.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 05:09 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon flash units made prior to the SB-600 do not support iTTL. Even the first flash units, the DX units, compatible with the D1 series and the D100 did not support iTTL.

Len

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 06:04 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thank you, Len and Marty.

I fully realize that the old SB22 would not work in iTTL. But I was hoping that they would still work in manual mode (which the PW site say they do) but also understand the simple manual power adjustment offered by the AC3.

Bo

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Mon 31-Dec-12 08:45 PM
#4. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hmmm... One small detail. I decided to put my "sb22" for sale and I realized that they are actually SB26... Not that it makes any difference in this case but...

On to eBay they go.

Bo

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 02:34 AM
25006 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Bo,

Unfortunatly the SB-26 has the same limitations as the SB-22 since they both use film-TTL flash control.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BoStruye Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 02:38 AM
#6. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thanks again Marty.

I have just purchased a near new SB800 for a good price so that will work better. Hopefully I can find a second one or even a good condition SB600.

Now I just have to bite my tongue and hope PW hurries up and get their ControlTL to work with my D600...

Bo

Zoomer911 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2004Tue 29-Jan-13 09:23 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will the sb22 work with a pocket wizard ac3 controller?"
In response to Reply # 6

Champions Gate, US

The beata works well with the D600 http://www.pocketwizard.com/news_events/news/firmware_release_plan/

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60414 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.