Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60398
View in linear mode

Subject: "D3000 & SB700" Previous topic | Next topic
ruleboy Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2011Fri 28-Dec-12 11:12 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D3000 & SB700"

Palm City, US

Newbie question here:

I have started my Nikon career with a D3000. For Christmas I received a SB700
Speedlight.

Been trying to use Speedlight off the camera with no success. Have set Speedlight on Remote but don't know how to set camera up with a remote off of hot shoe.

What am I doing wrong or do I have an incapable camera model?

Ruleboy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D3000 & SB700
MEMcD Moderator
29th Dec 2012
ruleboy Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
29th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
29th Dec 2012
Toby01 Silver Member
04th Jan 2013
ruleboy Silver Member
05th Jan 2013

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 05:11 AM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Since the D3000 doesn't have Commander mode built into the camera you will have to add a second SB-700 (or SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, or SU-800) set in Commander mode in the hotshoe of your D3000 to control your remote SB-700 using i-TTL CLS wireless flash control.

If you set your D3000 in Manual exposure mode with Manual ISO and set the built-in Speedlight in Manual flash mode. Then set your SB-700 in SU-4 (optical slave) mode. The SB-700 will then fire in sync with the D3000's shutter.
Keep in mind that you will have to set the power level for both the built-in Speedlight and the Off Camera SB-700 Manually based on the the Aperture and ISO you have the camera set to and the flash to subject distance using the calculator built into the D700.
You could also use the trial and error method using the histogram to dial in the correct aperture and or power level.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ruleboy Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 02:50 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 1

Palm City, US

Thanks, Marty, for the very informative reply although I don't like the answer. I guess I will just have to get better at photography so that I can justify a more advanced Nikon at some point. But using the SB700 on the hot shoe in bounce mode is still better than using the pop up flash, right?

Ruleboy

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 09:45 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>But using the SB700 on the hot shoe in bounce
>mode is still better than using the pop up flash, right?
>
>Ruleboy

Comparing the pop-up flash to a SB700 is like night versus day.

Enjoy!

Jerry

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 29-Dec-12 11:32 PM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi John,

>But using the SB700 on the hot shoe in bounce
>mode is still better than using the pop up flash, right?

Yes!
Keep in mind that Manual Flash mode and SU-4 is easier than it sounds.
Especially in controlled conditions.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Toby01 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Nov 2012Fri 04-Jan-13 09:45 PM
229 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 2

El Sobrante, US

You may be surprised at how well the SB700 can work in bounce mode if you learn the right techniques. Take a look at www.planetneil.com. I've improved my flash work more by using Neil's info than from any number of new bits of equipment. There's a lot to learn, but it is well worth the effort.

ruleboy Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2011Sat 05-Jan-13 06:00 PM
#6. "RE: D3000 & SB700"
In response to Reply # 5

Palm City, US

Thanks for the encouragement, Toby. I just ordered a Vivitar Digital Off Shoe Flash Cord. I think it will be exactly what I need to connect my D3000 to the SB700 and have it off camera. Thoughts?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60398 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.