Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60386
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 28-Dec-12 01:38 PM
3404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"

Dyserth, GB

I may run out of time here, but there is the above ring flashgun available for sale in mint condition and I wonder if anyone has any experience of it. Most importantly, will TTL work on both or either the D800 or D7000 please.

I would be grateful to any response, but after 6 hours the auction will be finished so just taking a chance that someone's looking

Thanks

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D...
sl33py Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
sl33py Silver Member
28th Dec 2012
Arkayem Moderator
28th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
piniongear
01st Jan 2013
01st Jan 2013
benveniste Moderator
29th Dec 2012
29th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
31st Dec 2012
31st Dec 2012

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Fri 28-Dec-12 07:43 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, US

I have the 29s i believe... it worked ok for me, but trying to recall the quirks... I have a D300 not D800 or D7000 like you.

Quick search shows bythom's info:
Nikon Speedlight SB-29/SB-29s
The SB-29 was Nikon's update of the classic SB-21 macro ring flash, providing a slightly streamlined design with a couple of significant new features. The SB-29s was introduced in February 2002 and only adds a manual flash output of 1/32.

Add a comment or send Thom feedback on this article.

GN: 36 (feet) 11 (m) (ISO 100, both modules)
Weight: 14.5 ounces (410g)
Size: Main unit: 4.7" (119mm) W x 5.2" (133mm) H x 1.1" (28.5mm) D
Controller: 2.7" (69mm) W x 4.2" (106.5mm) H x 3.5" (88.5mm) D
Power: four AA batteries (alkaline, lithium, or NiMH)
Recycle Time: 2 seconds (NiMH) to 4 seconds (lithium)
# of Flashes: 170 (NiMH) to 350 (lithium)
Flash Duration: unspecified
Coverage: intended for close-up work; 20-24mm lens coverage
Case:
Key Features: TTL support for 35mm camera bodies, plus manual flash modes of full, 1/4, and 1/32 power. Modeling light; ability to select light ratio of the two flashtubes;

Depending on the price - it's a great macro light and i'd grab it again if inexpensive enough. Even manually (which i don't mind and can meter), it's a great light!

HTH - GL!

Rob

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 28-Dec-12 08:46 PM
3404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Rob. Too late, it went for £102. However, there is another one on the site which runs out tomorrow, so I'll read Thom's article and take it from there. I'm looking for one as I've just today bought the Sigma 105mm macro OS (in favour of the Nikon 105mm VR) so need a ring flash and was trying to avoid the cost of the Nikon/Sigma, but wanted something better than the Marumi Flash.

I am also looking at the Metz, but it's about the same price as the Sigma.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

sl33py Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Apr 2008Fri 28-Dec-12 09:26 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, US

sorry didn't see it sooner. Not sure if 102 (165'ish) is a good price or not. I picked mine up w/ the Nikon 60mm micro for a song off local craigslist.

I'll pop it on tonight when i get home and test - what do you want to check? just that it will TTL? Again w/ my D300... so unsure if the newer D800 or D7000 would do it differently.

Another option on the cheap is the ring LED lights of fleabay or Amazon? I got one for my GF - it's just OK. I definitely remember (6+ months ago) liking the 29 better than her LED ring light. It did both constant and flash. <100 USD iirc from amazon.

Let me know what you'd like me to test.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 28-Dec-12 09:37 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I may run out of time here, but there is the above ring
>flashgun available for sale in mint condition and I wonder if
>anyone has any experience of it. Most importantly, will TTL
>work on both or either the D800 or D7000 please.
>
>I would be grateful to any response, but after 6 hours the
>auction will be finished so just taking a chance that
>someone's looking
>
>Thanks
>
>Richard

I realize that you did not buy it, but for anyone else who may be thinking about the SB29 Macro Flash:

The SB29 Macro Flash was designed for film cameras, which used a different TTL method than the CLS TTL that is in use today. Consequently, it will not work in TTL mode on the D800 or any other DSLR. It will only work in Manual mode on a DSLR.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 08:09 AM
#5. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 4

Dyserth, GB

Thanks for all your help, but the first one went as you know, the second one has been withdrawn from auction. So, I guess I'll look at "modern". Found a second hand Nikon SB-R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight and a Sigma, but both expensive. I am also interested in the Metz 15 MS-1 Digital Macro flash, which looks like a lighter option with no cords.

So thanks for the help, shame I missed the auction, but I know a lot more about what's available than I did 2 days ago. That's the beauty of Nikonians.

Richard

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 29-Dec-12 11:12 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 29-Dec-12 11:22 AM by gbowen

Canton, US

I believe you are talking about the R1C1 kit that includes an SU800 and 2 SB-R200s, plus assorted adapter rings and light modifiers. I had that kit, and yes, pricey. Sold mine during a financial crisis last year. However it can be pieced together a bit at a time. I have the SU-800 Commander, which works with my 3 speedlights, an SB-600, 700, and 900. The SB-R200 units are available seperately, as well as the adapter ring for your specific lens. Even the modifiers are sold seperately. It's a handy kit, and I am piecing another together.

Of course it works great with my D7000 and will work just as well on your D800.

George

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 11:51 AM
#7. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 6

Dyserth, GB

Not quite, this is the Nikon R1 Close-Up Speedlight Remote Kit, which is different from the R1C1 as it lacks the SU-800. It's activated by the cameras on board speed flash with a SG-3IR panel over the flash. It does include the 2 SB-R200's.

I must admit, I'd find it a bit cumbersome when out in the field, to that end I am becoming more and more tempted by the Metz 15 MS-1 Wireless Digital Macro Flash. No leads and packs away into a belt pack, so when out birding with long lenses and I see a macro opportunity it'll be easy enough to just put the macro lenses on and the Metz and carrying it would be lighter.

Although I have a SB 800, I have always used a studio setup for portrait work and macro is a new genre to conquest for me.

Richard

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Tue 01-Jan-13 05:46 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 7

Houston Texas, US

I had the RI kit and finally bought the SU800 as a separate item so that turns it into a complete R1C1 kit.

Yes, it is a bit expensive, and yes it is a bit bulky in the field but think of this......
Any ring light is equally bulky, and with the R1C1 ring, with 2 or 3 SB200s attached you can remove/install the whole business in an instant by depressing the two latches. No wires to unplug either.

I would not trade the R1C1 kit for anything else on the market.
You only buy it once, so the cast is easily recoverable in my view.

If you wish to do Macro work this kit is a must have.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 01-Jan-13 06:11 PM
#15. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 14

Dyserth, GB

<<I would not trade the R1C1 kit for anything else on the market.>>

I understand what you are saying. Although Nikon have a great reputation for flash guns, so have Sigma, Nissin and certainly Metz who's build quality is renowned. With the Metz I am expecting to get very satisfactory results compared to the R1C1 at about 50% less cost. The only exception is that the Metz is not capable of being a TTL master unit and that is not a requirement that I need. However, as the camera flash does act as a TTL master and has to be lifted to fire the Metz the option is there to fire a slave or still use CLS. I also believe that Metz will be at least equal to or even exceed the Nikon in build quality. After all they are manufactured in Germany.

I will know when it arrives on Thursday.

Richard

benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Sat 29-Dec-12 12:40 PM
9517 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boston Area, US

I have the older SB-21 and can confirm it, the SB-29, and the SB-29s work only in manual mode with current Nikon dSLR's. Working in manual mode is okay for relatively flat objects, but I found I had to juggle shooting distance and aperture to get the depth of field I needed for jewelry.

I eventually bought a used R1 system and am quiet happy with it, but for a while I was considering either the Metz or an inexpensive third party ring flash like this one.

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 29-Dec-12 01:40 PM
#9. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 8

Dyserth, GB

Thanks.

A friend bought a similar flash to the Phoenix and was very pleased. His only gripe was the build quality.

Richard

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 04:45 PM
3097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 9

Hatboro, Pa, US

I bought my SB-29 when I was still shooting film. It was great. I was disappointed when I got my digital bodies that it no longer worked in TTL mode. So I bought the Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash. It worked great and I still use it when I don't want to set up the R1C1 kit which I bought a couple of years later. The Sigma is still available but is expensive but over $100 cheaper than the R1C1 kit. Lens adapters are also available for any nikon lens filter size from 52mm to 77mm. I'm not sure the cheaper lights can support all the sizes. Of course the advantage of the R1C1 is the SU-800 commander and the remote flash modules which can be also purchased separately. It really depends on your requirements and how much you're willing to spend.

Len

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 05:07 PM
#11. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 10

Dyserth, GB

That was a timely post Len and thanks for your input. I decided in the end to buy a Metz 15 MS-1 digital ring flash. Principally because of it's good reviews, but more importantly its portability having no cable as it triggers from the on camera flash which is blanked as with the Nikon SB-R1 speedlight. I trek miles to capture wildlife, mainly birds, but if I see a macro opportunity I can leave the Metz on the lens so changing from long lens to macro lens will be easier.

If nothing else this has been an interesting learning curve for me, so thanks to everyone that contributed. I've just got to learn the secrets of close photography, oh and have a go at focus stacking

Richard

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 05:40 PM
3097 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 11

Hatboro, Pa, US

I just checked out the Metz 15 MS-1. It's been a long time since I looked at ring flashes. I like it. All the Metz units are 1st class, I have two, a shoe mount and a handle flash I use for medium format. The rings are a little pricey but you get what you pay for. That reminds me I need a 67mm ring for some of Nikon's more recent lenses.

Len

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 31-Dec-12 06:25 PM
#13. "RE: Will the nikon macro speedlight SB-29 TTL work on D800?"
In response to Reply # 12

Dyserth, GB

Yes, I had to order a 62mm adapter ring separately. It looks good and a very good price on Amazon, half of the Nikon R1.

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60386 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.