Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60369
View in linear mode

Subject: "What flash for my D7000?" Previous topic | Next topic
kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 12:50 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What flash for my D7000?"

South Florida, US

Like to get an external flash. I shoot with a Nikkor 16-85 zoom. Want to get an external flash but I am clueless. Don't want to have to spend more than I have to. Need for indoor events, weddings, speeches, etc. Open to third party. Need advice.

Thx.
Akiva S.

Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3

www.akivaphoto.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What flash for my D7000?
J_Harris Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
26th Dec 2012
kshapero Gold Member
26th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
26th Dec 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
26th Dec 2012
mjhach Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
kshapero Gold Member
27th Dec 2012
Gamecocks Silver Member
27th Dec 2012
Leonard62 Gold Member
27th Dec 2012
gudnuf4u
28th Dec 2012
mkbee1
28th Dec 2012
Fortkentdad
01st Jan 2013
cosmicfires Silver Member
12th Jan 2013
Don Boys
06th Feb 2013
oneeyedphoto Gold Member
07th Feb 2013
Vlad_IT Silver Member
14th Feb 2013

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 26-Dec-12 03:45 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 26-Dec-12 03:54 PM by J_Harris

US

I first bought the Nikon SB-400 for use with my D7000. It is nice and small and has the advantage of being able to "bounce" the light if the ceilings are low enough, however it will not swivel, so using in "portrait" is not very practical. The main problem with the SB-400 is it's not much more powerful than the built-in flash. I sold it after a short period of experimenting.

I now own the SB-700 and am very happy with it's performance. It tilts for "bounce" flash and even "swivels" so it can be used in "portrait" and other odd-ball situations. It is more powerful than the SB-400 and has many advanced features. It is a good compromise of size versus power and has all the features needed for "general" photography.

If you need the most power available, do a lot of studio shooting and other advanced photography the SB-900/910 would be a better choice. It is larger and heavier than the other two and is a LOT more expensive but has the most features. Probably its biggest advantage over the SB-700 is it can control three wireless groups where the SB-700 can control only two.

Jerry

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 26-Dec-12 04:29 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

A lot will depend upon what you want to do.

The SB-400 is not much more powerful than the pop-up and only adds vertical bounce.

The SB-700 has more power than the pop-up, can act as a remote commander for 2 iTTL groups only, can act as a remote unit, has vertical an horizontal tilt, accepts filter gels, has diffuser, zooms to match lens focal length, light shaping, firmware updating.

The SB-900/910 everything the SB-700 has but can control 3 iTTL groups, has smart filters

George
My Nikonian Galleries

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Wed 26-Dec-12 06:01 PM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 2

South Florida, US

Would a SB-600 work well? Good used ones seem available.
Akiva S.

www.akivaphoto.net

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 26-Dec-12 06:24 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

The SB-600 will work just fine.

Len

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 26-Dec-12 07:27 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Joanna, US

I use the 600 on my D7000 and it works great for what I do. It isn't very heavy, not very complicated to use on or off the shoe, swivels and tilts, has a built in diffuser, not as powerful as the 700/900 while not as expensive either. Good luck with your search.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Wed 26-Dec-12 10:03 PM
2703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Actually the SB600 is more powerful than the SB700. The guide numbers are 98 versus 92 for a 35mm lens at ISO 100 and 100 feet.

Also the older SB800 is more powerful than the SB910, gn are 125 versus 111.5 under the same conditions.

The SB400 has a gn of 69.

Len

mjhach Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010Thu 27-Dec-12 08:54 PM
464 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 3

Simcoe, CA

I have 2 SB-600's available for sale for $200CAD if you can't find any in US. Its in the listing Want to sell in Canada, but its small enough that I would sell in US.

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Wed 26-Dec-12 10:18 PM
#7. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

There are many options and price points.
Personally, I have 2 SB-800s that I like to use, but if I am traveling and need to go light, I carry an SB-400 and don't worry. Each has it's place. You mentioned events, so I would suggest going with as much power as you are willing to move.

kshapero Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2006Thu 27-Dec-12 12:24 AM
#8. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 7

South Florida, US

Anyone heard of the Nissin Di866 MkII Flash? I hear it is very powerful.
Akiva S.

www.akivaphoto.net

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 27-Dec-12 12:40 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 27-Dec-12 12:41 AM by Gamecocks

Joanna, US

Try the Thom Hogan website (bythom.com) and pull up the Nikon page. There you will find several sections relating to Flash Database and a comparison chart under Other Flash Articles.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Thu 27-Dec-12 02:47 AM
#10. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

>Anyone heard of the Nissin Di866 MkII Flash? I hear it is
>very powerful.
>Akiva S.
>
>Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3
>
I generally don't buy 3rd party products because of potential compatibility problems. I had a problem with a Sigma flash that had to be sent back to Sigma for a firmware upgrade to work with a D300. The Nissin is a little more powerful than the SB900 and should work fine with the D7000.

However it only supports iTTL for CLS Nikon bodies and manual mode. It does not support TTL mode and is not compatible with Nikon film bodies if that is important to you. The D600 and D800 support TTL mode for most Nikon film cameras and the D800 also supports Auto mode. It's interesting that the SB910 and D700 don't support TTL or A mode, both of which are important to me and why I never upgraded past my D600 and D800.

Len

gudnuf4u Registered since 09th Dec 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 04:24 PM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 10

US

>>Anyone heard of the Nissin Di866 MkII Flash? I hear it
>is
>>very powerful.
>>Akiva S.
>>
>>Nikon F, FE, Nikkormat FTN, Nikon D7000, Leica M3
>>
>I generally don't buy 3rd party products because of potential
>compatibility problems. I had a problem with a Sigma flash
>that had to be sent back to Sigma for a firmware upgrade to
>work with a D300. The Nissin is a little more powerful than
>the SB900 and should work fine with the D7000.
>
>However it only supports iTTL for CLS Nikon bodies and manual
>mode. It does not support TTL mode and is not compatible with
>Nikon film bodies if that is important to you. The D600 and
>D800 support TTL mode for most Nikon film cameras and the D800
>also supports Auto mode. It's interesting that the SB910 and
>D700 don't support TTL or A mode, both of which are important
>to me and why I never upgraded past my D600 and D800.
>
>Len
>

I was going to buy the Nissin DI622 MII over the SB700 for my Nikon D600 ...I'm reading good reviews for it and gives a bit more power over the SB700 for less price ...anybody have experience with it? It does have TTL support for Nikon bodies and does EV +/- 1.5EV?? The recycle time looks like in the 5-6 seconds mark whereas the Nikon SB-700 recycle in 2.5-3s

mkbee1 Registered since 26th Nov 2012Fri 28-Dec-12 04:50 PM
541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri 28-Dec-12 04:54 PM by mkbee1

US

Akive:
A used SB 600 is a very good choice, and any of the Sunpak offerings, like the PZ42N (?) would also be a good option,and might save you some money. For your film cameras, any 3rd party flash with a dedicated Nikon module would do. An older Nikon flash would work, too.

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Fortkentdad Registered since 01st Sep 2012Tue 01-Jan-13 05:35 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 13

Fort Kent, CA

A few months ago I spent hours researching flashes for my D5100. I too did not want to spend any more than I needed to.

End of the day I went with the SB700. And I'm very glad I did.

It serves my purposes for now and if I ever want to go past two flashes (the max the SB700 can control) then my third flash unit will have to be the 910.

Unless you are shooting objects that are a long way from your flash, or are bouncing light off of high ceilings, the 700 should serve you well. If you can afford the 910 and don't mind spending the extra $ then go for that one more power is always nice to have just in case you need it.

The other thing I found is that my SB700 fits into my smaller kit bag, a larger flash unit might not, but that would be bag dependent. I have no idea if the 910 is much bigger than the SB700.

I really looked hard at third party units, some were significantly less expensive but in the end I decided for my first flash full compatibility with my camera was worth the extra $150 or so that I might have saved with an off brand. If you have not learned about Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS) look into that before deciding to save $ on a non-Nikon flash.

And listen to the advice of the seasoned folk here, I've just been playing at this hobby for a few months but thought I'd share my experience facing the same question you are facing.

FKD
Alberta CANADA

cosmicfires Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Nov 2011Sat 12-Jan-13 06:43 PM
303 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 14

US

The SB700 and the camera can control 2 groups of flashes, there can be more than one flash in a group.

my website

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 04:38 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 15

Hope, US

I suggest you become familiar with the blog http://neilvn.com/tangents/, and purchase his book On-Camera Flash, given your goals to shoot indoor events. In that case your first flash should be the SB-910 because it does TTL, and is easy to control. An SB-800 or 900 would also work, but the SB 800 is more difficult to program. After that first TTL flash you could add much less expensive models, say a Youngnuo 560 II, with that on manual control. The Sb 700 has all most of the features of the 910, but less power. I worry that can be a problem. Also be willing to shoot at hight ISO and in raw mode.

But Neil's book is where you should start. Be sure you get the On-Camera book.

Don Boys
Hope, MI

oneeyedphoto Gold Member Nikonian since 11th May 2012Thu 07-Feb-13 08:02 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mildura, AU

Like you Akiva, I didn't want to spend anymore than I had to, so chose a used SB-600 to go with my D7000, which serves my needs well. It seems to have plenty of power too! You can pick them up on ebay in almost almost mint condition for around $200.

Lots of gear - just no idea!!

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Thu 14-Feb-13 03:17 AM
963 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: What flash for my D7000?"
In response to Reply # 0

New Tampa, US

SB600 is a great budget flash to go with your 16-85 lens. Can be found around $150. But it has some ergonomic disadvantages and also it less than "capable" in repeating fire and high shutter speed sync. The SB-700 is about the same weight and size, has much more advance electronics that prolongs battery life and reduces recycle time between the shots. Has awesome snap on color filters and can be found at $250 used and $275-$300 new.

My most used flash is SB800, followed by SB700, than SB910. I also always carry SB400 in my bag but it seldom get any use. I bought and later re-sold a couple of SB600’s due to limitations I stated above.
Think of SB600 as dedicated TTL external flash for up to 1/250 shutter speed. It quite powerful and works well for bounced flash photography as well as with Light Sphere. But if you ever need more creativity or faster shutter speeds - pick Sb700 or SB800 both under $300

Best regards,
Vlad

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60369 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.