Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60361
View in linear mode

Subject: "sync cord question" Previous topic | Next topic
naphotos Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Dec 2012Tue 25-Dec-12 01:28 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"sync cord question"

US

I moved to a new house and somewhere in one of many boxes is my flash. I have a d90, d7000 and d300 I use. For my basement studio I have bought several backdrops and put them up with my lighting and found my sync cords but like I said not my flash. I went to B and H and tried to find a hot shoe that my light could sync into but the sync cord that goes from the lights to the camera has a small plug . The hot shoes that I looked at on B and H all have that same plug. I have gotten very confused. Should I just tear the boxes apart and find my flash? Or is there a hot shoe out there that I can attach the cord that runs from the light that should be going into the flash that I can use? I hope this makes sense.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Tue 25-Dec-12 02:24 PM
632 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. ",or something elseeRE: sync cord question"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 25-Dec-12 09:41 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Find your Flash! It will unravel a lot of confusion...yours as well as mine.

You have "lights" that you cannot sync with your camera without a hot shoe? What is the "small end" on your cord that speak of? Does it have the Nikon screw-lock PC attachment, a standard PC or something else?

What "lights"? Manual-capable 3rd party strobes, like the Vivitar 285, which adds another "small end" to the equation, or Yongnuo offerings that are manual lights and not dedicated to your Nikons? Monolights?

Given the lack of clarification, here's my best guess.

Go to Your local camera store, Adorama or B&H,and search for a Nikon AS 15. It is a hot shoe mountable sync apparatus, but you will need cords from it to your flashes, and it uses the Nikon screw-lock sync ends. It may fit your "small ends".

Next, go to FLASHZEBRA.com, and look at the many thingamabobs Lon carries. Something there will most likely be what you need.

On the other hand, find your flash or buy a new one to use till you do!
Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 26-Dec-12 07:13 AM
25895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: sync cord question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to Nikonians!
What type and model flash units are you using in your studio.
Most strobes have optical triggers so you can use the built-in Speedlight set in Manual flash mode to the lowest power setting (1/128th.). Unless you are very close to the subject, or the strobes are at very low power; the built-in flash should not contribute to the exposure. Adding a Nikon SG-3IR will convert the white light from the built-in Speedlight to InnfraRed light which will not contribute to the exposure but will trigger the optical slaves.

The D300 has a threaded PC port built into the camera body.
The D90 and D7000 require a Nikon AS-15 or a hotshoe to PC adaptor.

Another option is getting RF (Radio Frequency) Triggers and not have to deal with wires or PC cords.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

nikonus Gold Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2007Mon 31-Dec-12 12:12 AM
430 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: sync cord question"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 01-Jan-13 02:18 PM by nikonus

San Diego, US

The D300 has a plug below the D300 logo .
Or you need this gizmatchi .

http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Shoe-to-PC-Adapter/dp/B00009R8G3
or one shown below it .

Hans K.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery. nikonus@nikonians.org

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60361 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.